Recommend GPU my 8800gt Died

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by buttrunks101, Oct 11, 2014.

1. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    As the title states my evga 8800 gt appears to have died. I verified cables and monitor work properly with another tower. So I am looking for a decent replacement for my setup that should be listed to the left. Would love to be <$60 will look at around $100 gpu will just have to wait for a bit. I am ok with used also.
    so what does guru suggest?
    Thank you

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is it dead or displaying checkerboard artifacts?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  3. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    checker board red waves on black and blue waves on white. even in bios it shows artifacts and just does not look proper. If need more I can try to take some pics. Also I had to replace my cmos battery just this week. Before the battery would not boot it seemed to do just fine.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Bake the card in your oven for 10mins at 150c. Remove the HS/F first tho so it doesn't melt.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I've got an 9800gtx+ gfx card you can have it for nothing lol if you live in England and you pay the post.

6. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    So you think it just needs resoldered? I suppose i know what I am doing lol.

To stevevnicks unfortunately for me in this case I live in the Midwest USA. I appreciate the offer and would snatch that up if we were in the continent. lol

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Pretty likely..., many 8800's had inferior soldering which cracked over time allowing IC's to separate from the PCB. It (was) a very common problem. Reflow usually does the trick.

I baked my GTX about 3yrs after it started checkerboarding and never had another issue. Recently sold it to a mate.

Iirc WhiteLightning baked his GT at least 2 or 3 times.

8. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    Pill monster you are a saint lol. baked at 300*F/150*C for 10 min then let it slowly cool by shutting off the oven. Then slapped it together real quick to verify was all good. Booted up no issues so now to get some thermal paste. Can I put small dabs of paste on each of the smaller pieces or should i just put it on the copper heatsink?

In case this eventually dies before i purchase another setup what card could I purchase without my cpu bein much of a bottleneck?
    Thank you

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I would personally go with the R9 280x since AMD has Mantle support. (Not all games support but some do.) That will relieve any cpu overhead that you will probably end up with on any modern card.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that card would be a massive overkill in his rig. I just dropped my old Vapor-X 7950 in my brother's x4 640 rig and it's bottlenecked beyond belief. Good thing is I also got him a new case, psu and motherboard so that he can upgrade to a 8320 later on and have a decent gaming rig.

Still, a 280x with OP's cpu will make no sense. I struggle to suggest a gpu for him though, because I don't know his upgrade plans and budget etc.

EDIT: I also wouldn't base my purchase on things like Mantle/PhysX. They're both ok, Mantle more so, imo, but they're far from selling points atm. Mantle might become a reasonable player in the market, but atm, I'd just take those features as an added bonus, rather than basing my purchase on them.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Mantle supports only 2 games currently, his current cpu will be a huge bottleneck and that gpu power would be wasted for the most part. We do not even know if op plays the 2 mantle games either.

12. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    LOL I am a bit out of the hardware as I stopped keeping up when the ?6990? came out lol.
    The toughest item that i work with is 3d modelling software such as autodesk inventor.
    As far as future upgrades I would hope for a new rig as in everything minus case. However, for now it would be only slight upgrades upon failures. The newest game I play is probably arma 3
    Hope this helps lol.

13. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I see it as a future proof purchase instead of just barely getting by right now. Of course, his power supply would have to be up to the task but, he would end up having a solid video card that he can then build around when he is able to.

Overkill now is just enough later. That and the 280x are coming down in price which definitely helps. (Also, there are used ones but you would have to be more careful for that.)

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    *Sigh* Stop thinking today only. First off, unless the OP wants to stick to the $100 budget, why would you recommend a video card that will struggle with Arma 3 when the 280x would play it great. I know my hardware and that is why I suggested what I suggested, not to get into some stupid argument. :bang: Oh, and a GPU heavy game would me he could turn up the settings without FPS loss. (CPU dependent would be something else entirely.)

OP, are you going to be playing games for a long time to come? If your budget is limited, then just save what you can until that 8800GT dies. (Might be able to do the oven trick again. :) Glad you got your card working.)

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You want op to run a 280x on a 35 buck cheapo psu?

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Read the post above that one.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    550 watt epower?
    I read the post above the post you told me to.

18. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Am I supposed to hand hold you or something? Of course that is not up to the task but I should not have to say that unless the OP asks or shows further interest. *Sigh* Why must you mostly argue with me every where I go? :bang:

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Of course his psu is not up to the task, which is why I bolded what you said. If op needs a new gpu I would recommend a 750ti. It does not require any pci e plugs and would work on that psu. 280x tdp comes in at around 230watts and for a little more money based on newegg prices a 970 with a tdp of just 145 watts makes more sense. It will absolutely smoke a 280x in tdp and performance. Thats only if the op upgrades the rest of his rig though as a 970 will be bottlenecked to hell and back with the current cpu

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    What about a 750 or 750 ti those cards would be a huge upgrade from his 8800gt