R9 295x2 disabled adapter - what have I done?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lord Lucifer, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Lord Lucifer

Lord Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    2x Titan X SLI
    Hi all,

So I bought some re braided power cables for my system.

I loaded up Corsair Link, diabled the OCP again, went to load a benchmark and the system instantly shut down. Also when I go into CCC, click hardware it's showing one disabled adaptor...

One possible reason could be because I'm using the 2-in-1 PCI-E power connectors whereas before I used a separate PCI-E connector for each power in the cards.

I thought it was a myth that you need 2 separate PCI-E Power connectors in, but perhaps not. Definitive answer to that would help rule one thing out.

Thanks in advance

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Is it showing 1 of the 2 GPUs on the card being disabled? Or is it not seeing the entire card. To answer your question that Some cards require 2 separate power connectors. So this might be the case for you. With my r9 290 tri-x card I was using one of them 2 in 1 PCI-E power connectors just like you then I started to get black screens due to the lack of power. So I would try 2 separate power connectors and see how that works out for ya.

3. Lord Lucifer

Lord Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    2x Titan X SLI
    The disabled bit I worked out, Crossfire was off. Thats that solved. It's the instant shut down now as soon I try anything needing my cards.

I had this issue when I first built this PC - it was to do with the OCP thing in Corsair Link.

Really I just need to know if I need a separate PCI-E connector for each power in the card or whether the daisy chained multi connector will suffice...?

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yes I would try separate power connectors because some cards recommend separate connectors. Like I said before I was using one of them 2 in 1 PCI-E power connectors and it caused me to get black screens due to to much power for 1 cable or not enough power.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Every single review Ive read on the 295X2 says not to daisy chain PCIe power leads, and to always make sure you are using 2 separate PCIe cords per GPU

The main issue they said to worry about if you do not follow that, is fire, the PC shutting off is the least of your worries

And you are running 2 of them? On a single PCIe cord ?

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    is that not default AMD spec for the R295? one pcie power cable per gpu core, probs so its not to over heating the wires I guess with all the amps it would be pulling?

7. Lord Lucifer

Lord Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    2x Titan X SLI
    thanks for the replies guys, switching to 2x PCI-E connectors worked a charm. PC looks really nice with the red braided cables too.

Thanks again!

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No problem. Glad that you got it working.