1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just out of curiousity...

Every year Cyberlink releases a new version of PowerDVD. It seems, for me anyway, that every year around the time Cyberlink releases a new version, my copy mysteriously become corrupted. Is this just a freakishly coincidental issue that only affects me or do others experience this as well?

2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    coincidental...plus I stopped using that software years ago. Bloated slow and unreliable IMO.

Use XBMC (it'll play all DVDs and most Blurays). For what it doesn't TMT5 is what I use (appears that TMT6 is out now).

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unreliable is an understatement....lol. Seems with every release it gets more unstable. It's also becoming more intrusive...

If you look at the prices.... I can get
    PowerDVD 13 Ultra for $46.95
    TMT6 for $99.99
    Corel WinDVD Pro for $49.99

From a cost perspective, it's kind of hard to walk away from media software once you've bought into it.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm using PowerDVD 10 that came with my LG Bluray drive and works just fine....

deltatux

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had issues with PowerDVD 10 crashing in Windows8....and had already bought PowerDVD12, which is complete garbage. Whether in Vista, Win7 or Win8...PowerDVD12 freezes or crashes every time I try to watch a Blu-ray movie. Takes several attempts before it will finally play the damn movie. Works fine for DVD though... Of course, 2 days ago, the install became corrupt....

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    PowerDVD 10 works fine on Windows 8 here on this hardware: http://kwokinator.com/computer-specs/#htpc

deltatux

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Does XBMC play Bluray menus? Can it bitstream HD audio over a GPUs HDMI output?

8. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    menu - no
    bitstream HD audio streams via GPU HDMI - yes, it's what I do

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    PDVD was OK till v9 then it became infested with bloatware like that Movie Live crap. Fuk Cyberlink.

10. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    Some time last year ago I had a similar thing happen with version 9. I can't remember what went wrong but when I tried to fix or update it I was re-directed to download version 10 for free. So you might be right sykozis.

edit - I just found this on Wikipedia. And it does explain why I had to upgrade when some blu ray discs would play but a new one would throw up an error. But aside from all of this I am a fan of PowerDVD. Works fine for me, although I do like to disable all of the un-necessary stuff that starts on boot up with Autoruns.

Cyberlink supports PowerDVD for only two years after its release, which means customers wanting to watch a Blu-ray disc mastered after the date their version of PowerDVD went EOL (end of life) might be unable to do so until they have upgraded. Although since version 9, the software provides notification when it reaches EOL, and when inserting an unplayable disc.

Users are prompted by the software to upgrade, and on clicking are taken to the CyberLink website to buy a copy of the current version at a discount. This requirement to buy the new version every other year for continued Blu-ray capability led to many complaints about incompatibility from users of PowerDVD 9 (and earlier) when Star Wars was released on Blu-ray.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013