1. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Hey all,

I'm a developer on Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition and I've noticed that a lot of you guys (including the boss :D) use mpc-hc here so thought it would be an idea to start a thread for you all to post your bugs/ideas/feature requests for MPC-HC.

I can't guarantee all requests will be honoured, but I'll certainly see what I can do. I'd even be prepared to do one off builds (time permitting) if anyone has an unusual request.

Kindest regards

Spec-Chum

2. pxmm

pxmm Member

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    I've am interested in frame interpolation built into Mpc, as in this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=288017

but increasing the frame rate to match the refresh rate of the monitor. ie: increase 24fps to 60fps.

I'm curious to see if any improvement can be made on the quality displayed in current TVs that have features similar to this (100hz, motion plus, etc) which often introduce too many artifacts (ghost trails/smearing, wobbly still images)

I like the way film looks at 24fps, but nothing tricks my brain into thinking I am seeing reality, whereas a game at 60fps does.

Also, awesome job on mpc-hc, I use it over vlc :thumbup:

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    id be interested in color correction with an icc profile. I know that its possible at the moment, but its very complicated to get right. If it would be possible to just load up the profile like in firefox, that would elevate it even more above all other players.

4. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    I like to see a Desktop Dimmer feature like the DivX Webplayer offers. It just automatically dims the desktop screen around the web player while videos are playing for a better viewing experience. I know there are standalone apps to do this but they dont work very well.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I adore the software -- huge fan ! Welcome.

Perhaps you can look at this thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=308911

We're still uncertain it's ATI or an issue with MPC-HC regarding h.264 L5.1 acceleration/pp.

6. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Thanks for ideas and the welcome :)

In regards to the issues on that thread, we had a problem until rev 1327, which was released 04/11 where L5.1 was flagged as OK for ATI, when max is L4.1 (we literally had a '=' instead of a '==' and 3 of us missed it!). Can anyone having issues ensure they are using a revision > 1327?

Just getting ready for work, so apologies if that's already mentioned in that thread, but I'll have a proper look when I get back tonight.

Regards

Spec-Chum

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Wow I love these unselfish smart guys,who devote there off time and energy for free by producing and maintaining software,in which goes unappreciated at times.I would like to say thanks.As I am sure all fellow Gurus will too.

8. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Im still having trouble with my htpc in my specs(Catalyst 9.11 w7_7100 x64) on the left getting dxva to work at all. But, seems to work fine on my parents pc and radeon 4350(Catalyst 9.11, xpsp3) . Great software btw! Video streaming would be nice tho.

Keep it up!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Welcome to the forum and many thanks for a great piece of software!

I have problems with the infamous QoS trailer and the other common "test" videos, artifacts and colorful blocks galore, when using the internal MPC-HC DXVA codec. Version 1.3.1347.0 using the internal "about".

I'm using a Sapphire 4870 1Gbyte with Catalyst 9.11 under Wndows 7 x64, though I can reproduce the issue with Catalyst 9.7 and up (haven't trid earlier versions) and with both the 32- and 64-bit version of MPC-HC.

Perhaps related to this issue is the fact that my card craps out when playing any hardware-decoded video. Every time I do so the card locks itself to the BIOS default clocks, 750MHz core and 900MHz memory, regardless of my actual CCC/OverDrive settings, and never budges from that until I restart.

I also get what's best described as horizontal tearing or blocking when playing hardware-decoded video.

Edit: Reading through your post again it seems I got it all wrong and MPC-HC isn't supposed to handle hardware-decoding of 5.1 on Radeon cards at all. That's good to know, means it's AMD who has to sort the issue. :)

Doesn't explain the couple of people who seemingly have gotten hardware-decoding of 5.1 working on their Radeons though.

Edit2: So yes, MPC-HC 1.3.1347.0 does, correctly, choose software decoding for the videos in question and works fine out-of-the-box. It's just forced hardware decoding that doesn't work, though that's obviously not the fault of MPC-HC.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    :D

You're very welcome, it's comments like that that makes it very worth while.

I use the software myself so I don't find it a chore to work on :)

11. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    Hello and welcome!

I too love MPC HC, but one thing does bug me. Everytime I use MPC, I struggle to try and set up my Media Center remote control. Looking around google, it seems a lot of people have asked about this in the past.

Would it be possible to add better Media Center remote support, that performs the same as it does in WMP or WMC. Some extended media keys would be a real bonus. Perhaps it's already possible -and I'm just too thick to figure it out...

12. xaueious

xaueious Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3200 Onboard
    Thanks so much for doing this!

Do you guys have an actual official discussion forum? I think a Wiki for documentation would be nice too. There's a documentation link pointing to the sourceforge files form 2005, which is kind of a joke.

My suggestion is to improve the interface. I know you guys call it MPC to stand for Windows media player CLASSIC, but the program is regrettably ugly and difficult to use for such a modern player. The interface is not very easy to navigate. It's a tool made by geeks, for geeks. I have a hard time convincing my parents and friends that this is a better player. I love to use it because it works well. It took me a while to learn to use it.

I like MPC-Hc because it works and is efficient. But you aren't winning over any mainstream users just by functionality. Your webpage even has the whole family sitting around the laptop.

Oh and your webpage has too much technical stuff on it. But that's a common fault of opensource webpages. They scare people away by trying to say too much about their program.

You should continue to label this 'beta' software. This is where I think the software stands in terms of completion. For a full release I'd expect it to be more well rounded, if you get what I mean.

Here's a list of things I'd like to have changed in the program:
    More standard buttons
    The easiest way to fix this is to add more buttons to the existing toolbar. I'd prefer it if it were in another toolbar though.

I don't like having to go to a menu to open a file. Less clicks makes me happier.

I personally would like to have these buttons:
    Open (with a dropdown of all the different Open functions such as Open Device, DVD)
    Settings
    Full screen/Resize video (%)

*** Larger icons (I want this one the most)
    the buttons are small, especially for higher resolutions. This program looks like it was designed for 1024x768 screen.

You have got to understand how painful it is to use MPC-HC with an HD TV and I have to guess where the play button is.

Double the size at least. Make them navy blue while you're at it.

Simple mode (Or ability to hide the advanced functions)
    VLC does right here by hiding its advanced features from the average user. There are a of confusing settings. The data takes a programmer to decode. This program isn't being marketed towards public consumption right now (dummy proofing).

I personally want all the advanced functinos to be available. But when I just play videos, I want to play videos, not tweak things. They should be separate.

If it were my parents using this, then only need:
    Open
    Close
    Play/pause
    Forward
    Back
    Volume mute
    Volume slider
    Exit
    Seek slider
    Information bar

Keyboard shortcuts 1, 2, 3 shouldn't change the player. Make it like Ctrl-Shift-1 or something...
    Some keyboard shortcuts are too easy to trigger by accident, and the menus is too difficult to navigate for people not already familar with the program. I have MPC as my main player in my living room. I live away from home right now, but the player always ends up with a missing menus or two when I come home. Or make it possible to lock the interface.

Which keys are you referring to? My HP laptop remote works fine for play/pause, forward, back, and stop, which is all the buttons I ever use for playback with a remote.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  13. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    For our family Home Cinema, we hide the keyboard and mouse. It gets lots of remote action. Windows Media Center is ok, but it has it's faults. It won't let you use anything but the primary sound device. It's bloated and slow too.

There's lots on my remote that doesn't work properly, or at all in MPC-HC. The back button, More info, the libraries etc. The compass keys, with some form of "simple" file navigation would be heavenly. At present, my remote buttons are scrambled in MPC-HC. Play doesn't play lol. I believe there are dual remote frequencies for MC remotes too, which adds to my confusion. If I press > it pauses etc. It works fine in Media Center and Power*ugh*Dvd though.

MPC-HC is clearly the best player for the job. I remember "IMon" had a program where you could assign which application to run when you pressed "The Green Button". It would be awesome if MPC popped up, and let you navigate by remote to the files some way.

Perhaps what I'm imagining is already available or more likely too extravagant. For our family, it would firmly put the HC into MPC-HC.

:nerd:

14. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Apologies for not being around for a while, been rather busy.

Some good ideas there, and I've passed them around the team, so watch this space :)

The "official" forum for MPC-HC is on another site, but I'm unsure if I can paste it here? But if you google for "media player classic home cinema _xxl" it's the first hit...

We're mainly working on bugs getting ready for next stable at the mo, so feature requests are taking a back burner (unless ridiculously easy!), but I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime please feel free to report bugs on here as I do check it daily, I just don't get a lot of time to reply...

regards

Spec-Chum

15. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    There's isn't more annoying color in the world. :D. What I read about your suggestions, seems like wmp is just perfect for you, no need to ruin mpc-hc. ;)

But back to the reason I decided to post, I have a suggestion.

+ Support for rar files.

16. xaueious

xaueious Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3200 Onboard
    heck i don't know what color

what i do know is that not everyone enjoys using a video player that looks like a shoe

i am really serious about making the buttons larger though.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol at above.
    Its is my only complaint about MPC-HC, i know the original idea was to keep it looking like WMP 6.4, but i feel it needs a whole new GUI.

18. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    I hope they never touch the GUI of MPC, would make it instant obsolete. Go with GOM Player if you need a modern interface. Its based on FFMpeg too and should play most of the crap out there.

19. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    i love mpc-hc been using it ever since i discovered DXVA lol!!

havent really come accross any bugs which affect me, althoughi would like an easier way to setup a remote, if it could recognise a reciever connected automatically set it up wuld be awesome!!

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    • De-blocking mode
    • Hardware de-interlacing
    • GPU acceleration w/ all file types...
    • A dimmer switch to darken the area surrounding movie...
    :)