1. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    What is HDCP and why do I need to make sure that my display is HDCP-compliant? I have been told that games work fine on large LCDs (e.g. 42") as long as you're outputting HDMI to an HDCP-compliant display.

Also, is it the display that's HDCP or the input? Does the HDMI port specifically need to be HDCP? Sometimes I see in specs that DVI is HDCP but nothing is mentioned on the HDMI. It's rare, but I've come across that.

Thanks!

2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    google it

High Definition Content Protection

Irrelevant for gaming you're fine.

3. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
  4. strad

strad Banned

GPU:
    8800GT | Samsung 244T 24"
    You only need to worry about HDCP if you are planning on using your rig to watch HD movies

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    To the best of my knowledge, nobody has implemented hdcp yet. blu ray has its own copy protection I think.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Loads of devices have implemented HDCP and show a black screen if they don't handshake properly. I think the PS3 does this for certain content.
    For instance all HDMI DVD players need HDCP otherwise they throw a hissy fit... if they don't require the encryption, like Oppo players, they are just being cool and braking the DVD licence rules.

For PC's it only matters on Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback. Even then that can be disabled using AnyDVD HD software.

There are rules which exclude PC's from DVD upscaling restrictions. For example, when playing DVDs the Xbox 360 only used to upscale over VGA not component (before the HDMI models). Using VGA they could class the console as PC in order to get around the licence restrictions and upscale DVD unprotected.

People confuse HDCP and the ICT (image constraint token) this is on Blu-Ray and HD DVD and will only output a standard def image if the HDCP isn't present (like in component output)... that's what hasn't been implemented yet.
    Or to be precise it's only been implemented once. That was on a German HD DVD release of Resident Evil.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  7. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    No. HDCP has been used with virtually every HD device (HDTV, HD tuner, HD cable box, etc.) since 2004.

8. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Spot on except for one thing: ICT can and has been used regardless of HDCP. HDCP is a hardware encryption method, both on your TV as well as the set top box. ICT is a software based flag that forces downscaling over component. HDCP is not "on" the disc.