First TDR crash in Witcher 3 on reference 980 Ti. Unstable card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by litwicki22, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Hello. Last days i bought my new Gigabyte Gtx 980 Ti reference. I was playing few days Witcher 3 without single crash. But today ( after 5 days playing without crash ) i encountered my first TDR crash just after starting a game.
    Game just freeze, screen goes black and then pop up:"nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered".
    I still can give back card to shop and take new one. I have 14 days for that. So what to do now? Is my card unstable on reference clocks then?
    I dont OC card. All is stock reference clocks. Drivers are 353.06 WHQL.
    When i started game . Then i choose load game, and when game loaded and screen apeared then it crash with TDR. It crashed just after 2 second after i loaded a game from menu.
    (when the card was downclocked load and sipping power and then going back into the game then it crash)

And why after 5 days it crashed?! Its weird and i cant understand.

Can somebody suggest me, to change card or stay with that card?
    I will be really greatful for help.

Also rest of pc:
    4790K stock
    8gb ram
    Corsair 750 RM
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
    Win 7 x64 Ultimate

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    try other games re install driver

fill in your profile it will help people help you

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Lmao. The tech support dude is back.

5. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

how can be sure that reinstalled drivers helped, if it crashed only once of 6 days ?

6. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Thanks for help. I have a question.
    Only Witcher 3 crashed TDR ""nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" once of 60 hours of play. Is this something to worry about? Change card because of this? Can somebody suggest me to stay with that card or not?

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    PC's crash every now and then, hardware and software doesn't always work in perfect harmony together, it doesn't immediately mean you need to replace your card because of one TDR especially with only one crash in 60 hours of play.

There really isn't anything wrong with your PC, be a little less paranoid.

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Is this thread going to be like the other you had about Far cry 4..? Please don't...

9. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Its weird because it was not crash after some time of playing. It crashed when game world loaded ( after load ) and boom driver stopped responding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You mean the low fps while turning around in far cry 4 thread?

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have an EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC and I have not experienced any crashes, certainly not TDR-related ones, in the 68 hours I have been playing The Witcher 3 across this new card and my previous GTX 980 SC. I have used the v353.06 and now the v353.30 drivers.

However, I have experienced a few TDRs while playing other games: Batman: Arkham Origins, Project CARS and Far Cry 4. They have been few and far between to be honest and I can play the majority of my games without issue. I have even played Project CARS for almost two hours whereas previously it had crashed with a "driver has stopped responding and recovered" error within 5 minutes of playing it. I also played Batman Arkham Origins for about 3-4 hours without issue whereas previously it TDRed within 10 minutes of playing.

Basically, these TDRs are random on my system and, thankfully, infrequent enough not to be a major annoyance. NVIDIA have identified the issue according to ManuelG and a hotfix is expected soon, hopefully next week. The issue was a timing issue apparently. I have found that games tend to be more stable when not using on-screen displays such as those offered by MSI Afterburner and EVGA PrecisionX but I accept that may be just pure coincidence. According to ManuelG, this issue is not present in the older v350.12 driver but that cannot be installed on the GTX 980 Ti without modding the INF.

I would not worry too much about the issue at the moment unless it is affecting every game you play and occurs every time within minutes of playing. Just make sure, where possible, that you frequently save the game (easy in The Witcher 3 since you can just hit F5 to quicksave). I am not holding my breath but with any luck the hotfix driver with minimise or get rid of the TDR issue for good when running NVIDIA cards at their default speeds (TDRs can be causing by overclocking too far though, which is why I do not bother doing it; I value stability over a few extra frames per second).

12. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Yes but my card is reference 980 ti, no oc.
    It crashed TDR ""nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" once of 60 hours of play.
    And it crashed when game world loaded ( after load game ) and boom driver stopped responding.
    Is this something to worry about? Stay with that card or not?

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If you can play a game for 60 hours and experience one TDR then it is more than likely a driver issue in my honest opinion. If the card with faulty then you would be experiencing much more frequent crashes.

Even the reference NVIDIA cards auto-overclock themselves (called Boost) and I have long suspected that this is the cause of TDRs as the clock speeds and voltages are altered "on the fly" according to the demands of the game.

Wait for the hotfix driver from NVIDIA that will address the TDR issue. It should be released soon, with any luck next week or the week after at the latest.

14. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Yes it crashed not after long time of playing , but just after loaded game.
    It crashed when game world loaded ( after load game ) and boom driver stopped responding.
    So it crashed TDR once of 60 hours of playing.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The majority of the TDR issues I have experienced have generally all occurred with a few minutes of starting the game. Only a few have occurred after hours of gaming.

I suspect this happens because that is when the card is boosting up in speed from the 2D desktop to 3D game speeds. When this happens the internal voltages are changing with the clock speeds and if they do not occur quick enough then the driver crashes. I do not recall ever having TDR issues prior to NVIDIA introducing the GPU boost feature with the GTX 580.

Although some people claim it makes no difference, you could try setting your Global NVIDIA profile to Prefer Maximum Performance (the default is Adaptive). This avoids the card changing clock speeds while actually playing a game, say, when an FMV cutscene or loading screen occurs. The card will still drop down to the low-power 2D speeds when on the desktop by the way.

16. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Today Witcher 3 crashes display driver ( TDR ) when i tried to minimize game ( ALT + TAB ) . And then boom, display driver stopped resonding . You said "I suspect this happens because that is when the card is boosting up in speed from the 2D desktop to 3D game speeds. When this happens the internal voltages are changing with the clock speeds and if they do not occur quick enough then the driver crashes." Maybe this is the reason? If yes so try to RMA card or this is driver issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  17. renejr902

renejr902 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX
    I can be wrong but i think your Video card is defect or maybe you have a problem with your Power Supply, but im not a expert

18. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    My god, not this **** again.

19. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

"I suspect this happens because that is when the card is boosting up in speed from the 2D desktop to 3D game speeds. When this happens the internal voltages are changing with the clock speeds and if they do not occur quick enough then the driver crashes. I do not recall ever having TDR issues prior to NVIDIA introducing the GPU boost feature with the GTX 580. " Maybe this is the reason . One time Witcher 3 crashed TDR just after i loaded level. Second time when i alt - tab game.
    So it can be a reason to RMA card if it sometimes crashing due to voltage fluctuation or it is a driver issue?

20. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    :infinity:

I'd say if your card keeps making this 'boom' noise you keep describing it definitely needs to go back! IMPO your card is okay. Crashes happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.