No More CSAA in Maxwell GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by lowenz, Mar 15, 2014.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Guest

Not in my experience. There's a reason why there's a SGSSAA blur fix over in the Nvidia Anti Aliasing thread. OGSSAA is also known to blur, and that is not dependant on color space, unlike SGSSAA.

Again, there has got to be more to it than that. If it was dependant on the game natively supporting MSAA, then the user should be able to enable it in the driver settings. Also, the TXAA synopsis clearly states it uses temporal filters in addition to MSAA and post processing. So, no, its not "just" temporal FXAA + MSAA. Its literally doing at least 3 processes to achieve a final result.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/txaa

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    3-4 games?

-Watch Dogs
    -Ghosts
    -Crysis 3
    -Assassins Creed III
    -Assassins Creed IV
    -Assassins Creed V
    -Black Ops
    -Splinter cell blacklist

i think there are more. but those are off the top of my head.

I do agree though that more games need to use it. Same goes for PhysX. And anyone who says PhysX is a gimmick hasn't seen Metro: Last Light or Batman running on an nVidia system.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    -NeverWinter
    -TheSecretWorld
    -COD BlackOps II

4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    The only difference I noticed was butchered framerate.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

5. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    He already mentioned Black Ops though. Only BO2 supported DX11 (so therefore, TXAA). Both BO games did have CSAA though.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Played with a 750Ti for a bit, was strange to see no CSAA in source games when they've been there since my first Nvidia card, an 8600GT.

7. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    TXAA + Sharpen , best for me :banana:

8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800XT
    I have a 780Ti and Assetto Corsa looks like a dogs breakfast with 16 X AF and 8 X AA. The white lines on the road and the amcor fencing "shimmer / Moire pattern / jaggies".

Is there a fix in the works...using Inspector dosnt override anything in game so now what?

Sell it and go to the green team to get better graphics?

9. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    I didn't know the 780 Ti had this issue too. Thought this was just a Maxwell thing.

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You used to be able to enhance SGSSAA in Assetto Corsa, It wasn't perfect and you had to disable HDR. It doesn't look like it works now though.

11. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    ^^this

Anyways TXAA looks like when you use SSAA or any xSQ or xS antialias + SGSSAA, those setting blur the game like TXAA does, for example i´m using 8xSQ +8xSGSSAA in some old games and i got blurry image, but 0 jaggies, or when you are using OGSSAA that setting blur the game too, and seeing how TXAA blur the game isn´t that drastic like people assume, and like Sergio said, raise your monitor sharpness and voilá, or use sweetfx sharpness, but i dont know if that last one works with TXAA.

12. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    I honestly have to wonder what people are doing if SGSSAA is as blurry as TXAA because the latter is terrible and has even more blur than FXAA in the games I've tried (Batman AO, AC3&4, Crysis 3, SC: Blacklist and Watchdogs)

The other issue I have with it is the blur it creates around places that would shimmer with aliasing is worse than the shimmer itself because not only does it make them blurry, I can see it also causing things like fine lines to get thinner and making the colours more pale. Though I think this is probably not an issue on the LCD monitors most people use due to their low motion resolution it's extremely apparent on a plasma.

It may well be a similar technique to what CGI movies use but that is designed to work at 24Hz with a ton of motion blur which hides it but it clearly doesn't work that well at higher framerates provided the display has a high enough motion resolution to show the artefacts.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's all down to personal preference, it is also very much dependant on the implementation as some go for a more aggressive use while others are more conservative.
    As long as it's an optional feature, no one has any reason to complain.

Personally, since I saw TXAA on a friends system I've decided to not play any game that supports it until I've upgraded, but I'm one of those who can't stomach aliasing, I even get very moany when movies have any sort of edge enhancement applied as overly sharp images are just so unnatural looking.

14. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    I bet you love The Dark Knight then! I thought something was wrong with the settings on my TV it has so much edge enhancement and it got such high reviews in picture quality.

Personally I'd rather deal with the aliasing than the degradation of the entire picture quality as fixing one thing doesn't make up for the things it does wrong.

Still it will probably only be another decade before 8K is widely available and then aliasing will no longer be an issue.

15. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    SGSSAA and manually setting LOD bias is the way to go IMO. letting the driver do it automatically never makes it sharp enough for me.

Tried TXAAA with only Crysis 3 so far and I think I prefer fxaa more. Way too blurry!!

16. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    it isnt the way to go dx9 games are done so unless you guys start figuring out how to implement sgssaa into dx11/12 games you are done using it and txaa unless amd comes up with a new method is your best bet since more and more devs dont support msaa cause it only works on edge lines for the models doesnt effect anything else in the scene so you still get left with aliasing as in txaa hits everything in the scene with less of a hit then msaa x8 that does not hit everything

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I remember when we didnt have all these options back when the TNT cards came out.

I was excited to get some AA options.

18. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    bye csaa, i just need sgsaa or smaa anyway

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Here is this sharp enough for you?
    http://i7.minus.com/iQkcCvzvX4vPz.jpg

Seriously, you might as well just play with no AA if you want pixel perfect sharpness.

No amount of resolution, or real time AA is going to produce 100% sharp and temporally stable images.

While options like SMAA 1x don't produce any blur (There actually IS some, but I digress), it doesn't do jack for high frequency aliasing from normal maps, lighting, specular lighting, shader aliasing let alone any kind of temporal aliasing.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti