Tera online (EU) & CrossFire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Netherwind, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey guys.

I attended the stress test yesterday which also was an opportunity for me to see how well my system would handle TERA.

I noticed the following:
    Single card (Windowed fullscreen) - Vsync enabled, medium FPS (35-45) @ Preset 5
    CrossFire - Vsync disabled, unknown FPS due to massive tearing.

Why does not Vsync work when CF enabled?

2. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Tried it yestarday in a hurry for like 10 minutes, crossfire as it is it doesn't work you get negative scaling, so i tried with afr-friendly it worked a lot better but there is a bit of flickering with characters.

Will investigate more in the next betas if i can get in.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    the massive tearing can come from the fact you have use " windowed fullscreen " and v-sync who is not enabled like that.... next time try fullscreen.

Make me think i have not get my invite.. sic.

need check, as im possibly on the US beta and not EU...

4. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    I had this same issue with 6950 CFX a year ago in korean tera
    Tried every compatibility profile in Radeon Pro, but u'll still get the flickering.
    U'll get best performance by disabling cfx.

CFX also sucked in almost every other game I loved to play.. Oblivion, FO:NV, Witcher 2, Skyrim etc.

Finally learned my lesson as graphics enthusiast.. Buy the fastest single GPU out there.. Multi-GPU just ain't worth it.

5. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    So it wasn't just me then! Phew.

Had like 50-60fps + stuttering on my 6870x2s. Then I set the graphic options to Windowed Fullscreen...I hear windowed mode disables crossfire. It seemed to work as I immediately got 60-70fps and WAY less stuttering. Still a little jumpy here and there but was much smoother.

I really hope a crossfire fix comes out for this one! :( My 2nd card feels like it's been going to waste in pretty much all the games I like. Crysis 2 it doesn't help at all in DX11....Skyrim barely helps and only raises minimum FPS....Terra Online negative scaling....In BF3 I get much higher FPS but it seems to stutter more...I think at one point in drivers like 11.11 or something it was perfect...but that went away after either driver updates or BF3 patch!

When it works it's amazing though...jumped from 50fps to 100fps in Dirt 3.

6. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    hi.
    I play JP TERA and casually heard this issue so I dig it at JP's forum.
    Then soon I found a JP blog says to edit TERAs S1Engine.ini file and change the setting AmbientOcclusion form True to False can fix the issue.

If you dont mind reading Japanese(or use google translation) you can read the original post at here:
    http://pikacham.dtiblog.com/blog-entry-1.html

Unfortunately I dont have a CFX configuration so I cant test if this really works or stable(on game and graphic card).

Though I turn off AmbientOcclusion to ease 5570's loading but I do not see any different at TERA's graphic.

Maybe give it a try, but be careful it's on you own risk and you may lose some graphic effect though I do not notice.

And if really so, a new powerful single card may be still the best choice or wait for new driver or something. :)

7. sausje

sausje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD6870
    Don't know why you guys got issues, i went from ~30 fps to ~60 fps with crossfire enabled.
    Dual HD6870, had around 95%/85% usage on the cards.
    12.1 drivers and 12.1 cap1.
    Graphics ingame was ALL maxed out @ 1080p

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    AO has always been fairly demanding in UE3 (borderlands was first with it i think)

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You clearly didn't read what I wrote :)

Anyway, I found a solution. I run D3DOverrider which forces Vsync in CrossFire mode. Actually this game scales well since I checked temps & activity using MSI Afterburner and it turned out that both cards roll at about 90-92%. Unfortunately this does not seems to be enough for my 5850s since my FPS isn't smooth 60 but sometimes dips down to 50 outside and down to 35 in towns (esp Velika).

10. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Still no news about that damn CAP :bang: It's been a month.
    I want it for this CBT!

13. ryudo6850

ryudo6850 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 OC
    low fps?

I think I may change my processor. I've been receiving low fps... in the 20-35 and sometimes even down to the teens while testing K-Tera.

As you see to my left, there are my specs. The GPU OC is stable,it was factory OC'd. I hear that Tera does not work well with the hexacore processor, and since it is cpu intensive I'm fairly sure that is causing my low fps.

The other reason I want higher fps is so when I use Tri-Def my game sustains close to 60fps as possible. I have noticed irregardless of settings on graphics I can rarely get close to 40fps. It seems that settings are irrelevant... so I can only assume the cpu is the issue. Anyone else have a similar issue with an AMD cpu and this game?

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    It's safe to say AMD CPU's aren't what they used to be. They have more hardware bugs than Intel, that are more performance related.

While Intel has it's own bugs, they aren't NEARLY as bad performance wise.

If you honestly can switch, do it. Go with an i5 2500K. Also Crosssfire has negative scaling in this game right now. I got the negative scaling in the beta that ran from the 6-9th. Single GPU it ran great on my rig.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  15. ryudo6850

ryudo6850 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 OC
    Isn't the 2500k an i5 and the 2600k an i7?

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah my bad, fingers moving faster than brain. It's the i5 2500k. It's not different other than it doesn't have hyperthreading, which honestly isn't needed unless you are in some kind of professional field, or encode videos.

17. ryudo6850

ryudo6850 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 OC
    Ya I will probably go ahead and purchase it because I may sell my current system to my cousin who is wanting to pick up a new computer. This would be better than any company he would purchase from.

Do you think I would be safe with a 6950 because I also use Tri-Def for AMD HD3D and the stereo120hz 3D. That limits my fps to 60 at cap instead of 120hz like my monitor is capable of. However it is cpu intensive so I'd imagine a minor OC on the 2500k should work right?

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    A 6950 should be fine for now. If you have cash to spare upgrading never hurts. You could get a 7950 with more Vram.

But yes, OC the i5 2500K to around 3.8-4.2ghz, and you shouldn't have a single issue CPU wise. You won't need a higher OC with a single HD 6950.

19. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070Ti
    What happened to that app profile which stated a profile for TERA? Crossfire seems to be broken (90+% usage and no fps gain.)

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    It runs off of the Unreal 3 engine. Just use the Mass Effect 3 Profile, works great for me.