gtx 980 ti or fury non x

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xvcardzx, Jun 22, 2015.

1. xvcardzx

xvcardzx Guest

GPU:
    xx
    Help! I cannot decide.

Get the gtx 980 ti or wait for the air cooled fury? I don't want the liquid cooled fury because it costs more and there is always the chance that water will be in PC.

2. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Water won't get in the PC and the Fury X Watercooled is the same price as the 980ti.

3. xvcardzx

xvcardzx Guest

GPU:
    xx
    How do you know for sure?

Also i never had water cooling, do you need to replace the water? Or you just install it and forget about it like with air cooling ?

4. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    if you are not always beside the PC I won't suggest water cooling, pump fail, leakage, you will never know when it will happen.

last time my water pump fail in midnight and my CPU over heat within few mins, luckly the alarm wake me up and the system auto power off due to overheat.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wait for Fury X benchmarks. After that we can properly approximate performance of Fury Air Cooled.
    But I think performance/$ will be at Fury's side. (based on confirmed real world usage shown)

6. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    There are 2 types of water cooling solutions open loop & closed loop.

Open loop are the custom solutions which you can expand for your system while closed loops are the all in one coolers you see like the Corsair h100 or the cooler on the Fury X.

For noobies the open loop may be too much to setup & worrying about replacing the lubricant every few years.

Closed loops are generally worse and are not expandable but require no maintanance. For CPU's high end CPU coolers are generally better than low end closed loop solutions for a bit cheaper. GPU's watercooling is much better because you get the vram and the vram cooled pretty good and evenly.

Buying a closed loop cooler is no risk. Setting up an open loop is risky if you don't know what your doing. I have never set up an open loop and would be nervous my first time.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  7. xvcardzx

xvcardzx Guest

GPU:
    xx

Thx, that's what i want to avoid, that's why air cooling is for me.

Well i'd say that when there is water with electronics there is always a risk.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I think the fury will have the best price/performance ratio (seriously).

549$ for a killer card that has 980ti/tx performance.

Yeah but I think what he described only happens in a custom built water cooling loop, an open ended loop, not a closed loop.

Don't think they would be selling this if it weren't a certain deal.

If you put the cooler in such a place then I think there wouldn't be no risk.

9. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    go with the fury x... it looks awesome.. performance awesome... water cooled .. small in size.. lower price than titan x...

10. xvcardzx

xvcardzx Guest

GPU:
    xx
    That sounds good, but that 4gb of ram :/.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Reviews will tell if that is enough... I don't see it as an issue really.

12. xvcardzx

xvcardzx Guest

GPU:
    xx

Today maybe not, but what about a year from now. Last year games used 2gb of vram, today most use 4gb of vram.

The textures and polygon count increase every year upping the vram requirements.

13. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah they are increasing I would say fury won't have issues with 1440p 1080p and such resolutions for years to come in vram perspective. Now 4k might be a different thing if you happen to have a 4k monitor that is. Most games won't be seeing too high vram usage (not talking about CoD putting stuff to cache like hell) because of being ports from consoles that are still fairly limited in total amount of ram too.

Currently 3gb will be fine until 1440p. And 4k will use more then 3gb if you check some benchies and see the fps plummet.

15. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I'm waiting for the real world specs as manufacturers benchmarks are a little exaggerated. Also waiting on the real world power requirements/heat thrown out as these fury cards seem to be the R290 all over again. No good getting a card thats the same price/the same speed but cost twice as much to run and then even more to cool the room after like the R290 cards. This picture is saying it all really http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/9/1/91_777_amd-radeon-r9-390x-crossfire-4k.png holding out for some more reviews though, but the R9 390 series looks like a nice power eater. Also we need to see how each manufacturer has understood DX12, because if AMD understood it better there new cards could be much faster as DX12 is a big change to things.

16. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    An etailer has a Fury X and said: "Cooler is superb, normal gaming around 35c load, sub 40 benchmarking and very quiet."

17. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    and the power consumption ? so in the long run this card is going to cost more MUCH more if you live in UK with our fuel prices. But as I said I'm waiting on more reviews as the tiny amount that are out there may not tell the whole story either way. good or bad.

18. FarEast

FarEast Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    whoa whoa..that card gonna overclock like monster

19. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    Honestly, and this is my personal opinion, power consumption costs seem irrelevant to me. You're looking at a difference in pennies for running costs per month.

For me, power consumption is something I take into account when deciding which laptop or tablet to buy next.

20. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Not in the UK you are not. people in other countries are so lucky with their lower fuel bills. It also matters how much you use these cards per day. As if you only game 2 hours a week it won't matter either way. And no laptop/tablet is going to have the disparity of 150-200 watts difference in running costs so that doesn't even factor for them.