hd4870 x2 - no 2d mode for one core, disabled adapter, high temperature

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by greg606, Oct 21, 2008.

1. greg606

greg606 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward HD4870 X2 2GB
    Hi,

It's my first message here

I've just bought Gainward ATI HD4870 X2 and have some problems.

1. The first core doesn't switch to 2d mode. It works fine for the second one. How to enforce 2d mode? I tried with rivatuner and overdrive (don't work!)

2. In CCC in information about hardware I have "disabled adapter" for the second core.

3. The temperatures are high (80 idle)

I would be grateful for any information about this issues.

2. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    1. Seems everyone has this problem (except people with 8.8 beta drivers). Launching a 3D app and closing it seems to bring both cores down to 2D speeds. But that is annoying.

I installed ATI Tray Tools beta, which I used to create a 2D "overclock" profile of 507MHz for both cores. And this profile is applied whenever I login to the computer or exit a game.
    http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/ATI Tray Tools builds

If you using Vista 64, you'll want to install ReadyDriver Plus to get around the driver signing issue.
    http://citadel.x10hosting.com/readydriverplus/

I was pretty peeved with my 4870 X2 for the first few weeks due to how frustratingly bad (sorry ATI folks) the Catalyst drivers are. But now that I have ATI Tray Tools installed and using that instead of the ATI CCC, I've become happier with my card.

2. No idea about that. I looked at mine both adapters are enabled.

3. The fan speed is pretty low at idle. You can manually increase the speed with ATI Catalyst 8.10 drivers or RivaTuner 2.11 (and other ways).

3. -Andy-

-Andy- New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Hey guys, i found a solution for the time being on a dutch tweaking site:

Close Catalyst Control Centre by rightclicking on the ati icon at the right bottom and clicking exit. The go to: c:\users\yourdefaultusername\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE

rightclick on Profiles.xml and click edit

change first core to 450 MHz, defaults are 507 MHz:
    <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="45000" />

Then you should change the 2nd core to the same freq. as above.
    <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="45000" />

Save the file, restart your PC and you won't see any strange GPU activity percentages anymore. In GPU-Z the coreclocks will be both @ 450 and your temp of core 1 will become normal.

So actually you are just changing the powerplay (idle) frequencies from 507 MHz to 450 MHz which should solve the problem.

In addition: after the change above i changed both cores to 500 MHz and that didn't give me any issues at all. I found 450 MHz to low for 2D apps

I hope this helps for you guys untill ATI has solved the powerplay bug for the HD4870 X2.

Good luck!!

4. KBolt

KBolt New Member

GPU:
    HD4870 X2 (2MB)
    ...and the solution is for WHAT problem ?

Certainly not for the disabled second core (Vista error No.43)

The solution you described does nothing for second GPU that is disabled.

5. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G