Asus Vg248qe vs Acer GN246HL

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by nz3777, Nov 8, 2015.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    So I am in need of a Monitor upgrade guys which one of these do you think I would be better off with? Both are 144Hz refresh rates and 24 inches, Now the asus is 259.99 vs the acer 199.99 both on sale at Micro center.

My current Graphics card is a Gtx 770 will I be able to even power 1 of these monitors on this card? I will be getting a 780ti come thanksgiving so I will have some more Gpu power, The plan is to run 3 of these in portrait mode for My Dcs world game. I current;y have a Asus monitor but its only 60 hz, I still do not even understand whats the main diffrence between 60 vs 144 hz, things seem more smooth is all I can understand......What else? What is your opinion what schould I do here?

My other option would be a Ultra-wide LG 25 inch 2560x1080 monitor, but I dont know if it will be possible to run 3 of these side by side on account they are so damm wide, you know? The Lg model is on sale as well for $179.99 a very good deal in my opinion and the picture looks really nice.

2. Andrew

Andrew Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX-970 4G
    I ran my VG248QE with a GTX 760 for a while without much trouble, so you'll have no problems there - it can be driven by DVI-D or Displayport to get the full refresh rate.

You're right that 144Hz will be buttery smooth provided your rig can put out the FPS for whatever you're doing, however these high refresh monitors are intended to be used with Nvidia 3D Vision or similar. 3Dvision only runs the panel at up to 120Hz tops (effectively 60Hz per eye). Some come with the IR transmitter, others like the VG248QE do not.

So far as choosing between them, the Acer and ASUS seem similar in that they are both 144Hz 1920 x 1080 TN panels with 1ms response. Really you'll need to see them both in action though to judge colour, sound, aesthetics etc., as with everything it's really a matter of personal preference.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I like 144hz because it definitely provides an edge in competitive games like CS:GO.

Hm I just got the VG248QE one, like a week ago. People said the colours looked horrendous out of the box, I personally didn't mind anything after tweaking them a bit. I'd go for the BenQ if I had a bit more money, simply because I "heard" about it more.

I see it as an upgrade for games that runs over 60fps, but even if not for the smoothness of the 144z, it did provide superior video quality (from what I had).

When I was buying i considered: BenQ > Asus > Acer

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Yup
    I myself bought just few days ago, on Black Friday Benq xl 2720Z. ~355E
    Fine piece of screen I can say...
    Benqs have more options for gamers, so maybe aim for it? After few tricks and slider in OSD moves they look almost like IPS screens, but without that annoying glow...

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Well I am now on a Gtx 780 so that schould help a little no>?