Smooth Video Project - Frame Interpolation

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Chillin, May 19, 2012.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    OK, I had to make a new thread just for this.

This program is the real deal, for the first time I was able to watch a 10mb+ bitrate Star Wars (HD) with full interpolation matching my screen frame rate (75hz) with ZERO artifacts, it's mind blowing.

Just download their large installer package which already pre-configures all the settings for you in the respective media players and decoders, then just up the settings according to your PC speed.

Perfectly smooth video awaits:
    http://www.svp-team.com/

Trust me, I tried the scripts in the previous thread and players like Splash Pro but the artifacts and lack of "pure-smooth" ( ;) ) always turned me off.

=================================================
    =================================================
    Here is an alternative setup guide and tips courtesy of "Prophet":

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    looks groovy! I noticed some of my 1080p MKV files it'll resize to 1/4 of the screen for some oddball reason.

I'll use this for my laptop as my TVs already do frame interpolation for me.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There is a setting in there for changing frame size, adjust it to suit your needs (double click the SVP manager).

4. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Agreed. This is THE ****!!

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wow, thanks for posting.
    I've been using frame interpolation for a long time with a custom script to optimise quality and smoothness vs cpu use.
    This is better in both regards, it uses CPU and GPU effectively.

Something that foxed me for a while, be sure to run the Smooth Video Manager before you open a video.
    The default install option (for me) was to not run this on startup, so I run it manually.

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I tried it and it dosent work...at all. the mpc it came with crashes when trying to play anything other than .avi and when i use mpc x64 it dosent use SVP at all. Mabey im doing something horribly wrong haha.

Also, is there anyway to push this so I can use it on my media box that streams from my computer?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Uninstall all programs this uses and remove their configs/data when prompted.
    Install again, reboot, run the manager before playing a video and see if it improves.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This program is entirely reliant on the 32-bit decoders and software.

Like Mufflore said, uninstall everything (MPC-HC, LAV, etc), the reinstall using their large installer (27mb) which already preconfigures the options for you and try it again.

As to your second question, I have no idea.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    New version out, fixed a lot of bugs and updated all the software (MPC-HC, etc).

10. Zehtuka

Zehtuka Member

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Seems to work great, thanks for the link.

11. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Anyone else experiencing high CPU usage with SVP enabled? I just installed it and granted it works phenomenally, smoothest MKv playback I've ever seen, just flawless!

However, my new i5 2500K seems to reach about 50% usage when playing MKV files with SVP, I'm not sure if that's normal since GPU acceleration is being used?

What are your experiences with it? Thanks

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's fine, don't worry.

Remember that the program is creating many new frames so a large load is expected. Now you can finally enjoy the fact that you shelled out so much for the CPU and GPU. :)

[​IMG]

Feel free to fool around with the settings (explanations of each setting is on their [SVP] forums) to best fit your system.

And just to double check, download the MSI Afterburner utility and check GPU usage during video playback to see if it's being used as well.

EDIT:
    Just read about your profile trouble. If you want to add a custom profile just right click on the SVP manager icon in the taskbar while the video is playing and add.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  13. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    I gotta admit, you're right, we invest our money in top hardware and we're always looking for it to consume as little usage as possible hehe, if the CPU works then I'm happy :)

However, I just checked with GPU-Z and the GPU load shows 0% whereas the CPU reaches almost 70%... I do see that the GPU clock speeds are raised so it means its working, but I hardly see any load.

What do you think?

EDIT

Scratch that, I tried to disable the GPU acceleration and the image immediately became choppy and framey, the GPU is definitely working... Just to reassure myself, an i5 2500K reaching nearly 70% usage when playing an MKV file, are you sure it's normal? :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If it's a high-bitrate and large resolution file (you can check by right clicking on the video screen and click "properties" and then "mediainfo" to see the bitrate) then yes.

The highest bitrate I have this second on my PC is 10.8mbps and it gives me ~40% CPU usage; keep in mind that my CPU is also O/C.

EDIT:

I just download a "Big Buck Bunny" sample clip at 70mbps (!), I get around ~50%-60% CPU usage and ~25% GPU usage.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do me a favor, check what filters and decoders you have running.

To do this, open any (preferably HD) movie, right click on the video screen and hover the mouse over "Filters".

Here's what should be running:
    -Default directsound device
    -MadVR renderer
    -FFDShow RAW video
    -MPC audio decoder
    -LAV video decoder
    -HAALI media source

In FFDShow RAW, go to "properties". Then go to "RGB conversion", make sure "Input levels" are "auto" and "output levels" are "computer monitor" (if you are using an LCD or Plasma screen) or "TV/Projector" (for CRT, etc).

In "MPC Audio decoder", select the number of speakers you have. An example would be 5.1, you would select "3+2" and "LFE".

In "LAV", you need to select the following:
    -"Hardware Acceleration" to "DVXA2 (native)" with all codecs selected.
    -In "software deinterlacing" select output "50p/60p".
    -In "RGB output levels" select what we talked about before.
    -The rest leave at auto or as they are.

In filter "MadVR", edit settings, go to "devices" and select the appropriate "device type". Then go to "rendering" and "general settings", check the boxes "use a separate device for presentation" and "use D3D11 for presentation", that all you should need.

That should be all you need to change to get started.

16. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Here's what I have running: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg233/scaled.php?server=233&filename=81648129.png&res=landing

Don't pay attention to the image quality, I used remote control with Team Viewer to take the screenshot since I'm at work, of course that's not the quality :)

Tested with Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol 1080p

Seems like I'm missing MadVR and I have EVR running, is that alright?

Thank you for these settings, I'll make sure to get home and set up everything just like you said.

:)

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    MadVR offers (subjectively) better image quality and you have the hardware to handle it, might as well use it :) . It also uses a lot of the GPU to do its work.

18. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Ok, I downloaded MadVR and configured MPCHC to use it, however, after I did that, suddenly FFDshow disappeared from the filters list?

My CPU usage indeed drop after applying the settings you suggested, but so did the image quality and smoothness, I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but it was better before :/

Maybe its because I made all changes while playing a movie?

To be honest I was really happy with the image quality and smoothness of the playback after installing SVP without any changes.

What about installing SVP and using KMPlayer to play HD files with external filters? Will it work like SVP works in MPCHC?

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure about KMPlayer but you can ask on their [SVP] forums.

The MadVR is already included with SVP. I suggest just uninstalling everything and then reinstalling it again.

Remember, check all the boxes on the SVP installation list options during the install.

20. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Oh ok that was probably the part I missed, I'll give it another go and update :)

Thanks