thinking about making a hummingboard device..anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by mitzi76, Sep 4, 2014.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The Pi is an awful media centre, I've had one for years, it's my backup device in the spare room, runs like crap, takes an age to open my library, my main machine is a £50 Boxee Box (with xbmc), and my secondary device is a RK3188T android stick, cheaper than a Pi and whilst not perfect, runs about 10x faster.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well running fine for me...(rasberry b+). Longest part is copying files over to usb stick...rest is pretty quick.

So dont know what you are doing wrong bad ass...

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The B+ must have more than visual improvements, and if DCX has had his for years, I'm gonna guess it's an old model like mine, the original B model or something

Mine was fast enough to access the library and start playing, but the network disconnect bug p1ssed me off too much, no-one likes rebooting their media centre in the middle of watching a film lol

This is mine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    nice pic will upload one later..

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Mines a 512mb B, and before that I had the 256mb B, it plays films fine, but the interface is slow, if you have no problems you probably don't have a large library (mine is around 1000 films), there's a 2 minute delay to open the library and when scrolling through it stutters, takes an age to load cover art, and I'm overclocked and running off a fast USB 3.0 pen drive, still sucks. It's fine for a rarely used backup, but for daily use the whole family just rejected it. The B+ is identical raw spec wise.

My Boxee box destroys it, as does my £22 RK3188T android stick. It was good for the price/performance on release years ago, but hasn't been a decent value option for at least a year once you've bought all the kit.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mines the 256MB Model B, and I stream my library via Samba Server over WiFi, so maybe it's a mixture of not as many videos, and NAS instead of local USB storage

Yea, they're not the most powerful devices in the world at all, that's why mine sits doing nothing these days, but for £25....

Had mine OCd to 940MHz iirc, helped, but not enough

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Mine is over a gigabit network to my server with artwork cached to the local fast USB 3.0 drive, it's alright as a dumb media player, but networked, not so much. I'm running a quadcore RK3188T with 2GB ram as my secondary now, with boxee box as primary (£50 new from PC World back in January).

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you get any network connection errors watching films ? Disconnections ?

Ive a feeling it's a wifi thing, but no choice in this house if I want to stream upstairs, no wired sockets or anything atm, on the list of "to-do's"

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    To be honest never really tried to stream a full film over wifi with XBMC, however, I have used my Pi with Raspbian for a timelapse and the connection was steady for 12 hours (although I only checked every so often, so momentary drops wouldn't be detected), but MotionPi cctv OS loses the network completely after 15 mins and needs a restart. Squeezeplug streams music ok on wifi for 1hr+.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've tried RaspBMC, OpenELEC and XBian for XBMC, and all three die in the middle of streaming over wifi, maybe it's a driver issue for my USB Wireless dongle, the weird thing is though, as you know the Pi relies on network connection to keep its time correct, and when it tells me network disconnected, the time stays correct, and stays correct permanently, so it has to still be connected to the internet - which means it has to still be connected to my router, which is where my NAS is connected to via USB > HDD - so it thinks it's lost connection to the NAS, yet keeps connection to the internet

But any other device, wired or wireless can still see the NAS and play from it, so the issue is with the Pi somewhere

Anyway, that was mainly why I ditched it, and started using my laptop, now I can stream the exact same way, from the exact same NAS, over the same wireless network, and no disconnects at all

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The Pi will keep the time once it's got it until you completely disconnect the power, you can buy a RTC (real time clock) for it for like £2 though anyway. You could use homeplugs, but for the expense my £22 RK3188T stick performs better.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well a 1000 films no wonder it's gonna chug.....

Yeah only gonna have around 10 or so at anytime...tbh just got it so can take on hols to watch some xmas movies and pics.

Ahh and baby einstein!! :)

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah ok, well then it is 100% losing connection then for whatever reason

I use my laptop now anyway so not gonna be buying anything else for it

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    bought the Pi B+ model and a class 6 Samsung microSd card for it.
    also ,the camera module wich goes with the Pi.
    i will use for my diploma project as a IP cam with motion software.
    is anyone wants updates on this,i will gladly share

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea definitely, make a thread for it :)

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got my Pi and had it up and working.
    First impressions,good build quality,bought a enclosure for it,better to keep it safe.
    Where to start.
    Module camera sounds great,has really very good quality videos and pictures,but somehow on the software support,had me a bit dissapointed.Many quirks and bugs.
    Oh,configuring Motion on the Pi via SSH is not for the faint of heart.
    Still haven't solved the mistery of watching from internet a video stream from its own camera module ,only with a USB webcam until now.
    Also,in my case having it connected by LAN or WiFi does a huge difference.
    And i have it in the same room with the router.And tried different WLAN adapters,same thing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi