DirectX 12 vs DirectX 11 Performance Slides

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2014.

1. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Can't wait, although probably about 10% of devs will actually use it well and with a good non-stuttery game engine lol.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Dx12 is also that so called normal api still @ pixel Shader 5.0, just in more optimized way, so yeah its what dx11 or even dx10 should have been, although dx10 was still pixel shader4.0.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    [​IMG]

I don't ****ing think so.
    [​IMG]

DX12 isn't suddenly going to give us actual million polygon models/sculpts without normal mapping, global raytraced lighting and radiosity, perfectly calculated physics and 0 aliasing.

http://youtu.be/P92R536iRX8
    Not even close.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What the hell are you talking about? HLSL is like a small subset of what DirectX is. DX12 completely shifts low level GPU access from the driver to the application developer. It's like a complete shift in the way DirectX works. 90% of devs will probably never even use it for their engines and just use DX11.3.

I don't think it's going to dramatically improve graphics or dramatically enhance performance. But it will definitely help optimize various CPU bound scenarios and allow good developers to get more out of their engines.

5. giri.placid

giri.placid Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Where did you get the information on HD5000 and 6000 series supporting DX12 100% ?

6. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    and operation system only windows 10 support dx 12?

windows 7, 8 and 8.1 is out?

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Probably pulled it out from his behinds :wanker:

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes core logic behind a functional Directx is pixel shader, it always was.

Now they removed most of directx overheads, so..

And how come it wont have better visual fidelity? Its the engines that will make them, U4E looks more enhanced then U3E or isnt it?

9. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I don't understand how your reply is correct / addresses what I wrote. Either I'm not getting it or it's wrong.

10. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Those "overheads" are important things for many people. DX12 is geared to those with very high levels of resource. You'll see the big game engines taking advantage of it. But many others still need DX11. You said DX12 is what DX11 should have been. This is incorrect. They are different things.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pixel Shader is like a portion of HLSL which is a portion of Direct3D which is an API that's part of DirectX. DX12 is far more complex then just SM5.0. And UE4 doesn't look better then UE3 because of DX12, it doesn't even have DX12 support yet. It looks better because it has an enhanced lighting model among other things. Those things were built with DX11/10 etc, but you could still approximate most of it with older versions of DX.

DirectX is a tool for devs to build games. It doesn't magically make games look better, the dev needs to use it to make games look better. An analogy would be carving wood. DX11 is a chainsaw, DX12 is a chisel. A good dev can make a pretty good carving with a chainsaw. A better dev is going to spend hours on every detail with a chisel.

It's a terrible analogy but it's the best I can come up with.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes that's why I kinda said better use of ps5.0 will make better games, dx12 is just icing on the cake and all that could already be done in dx11, but then again not so much since its limited to directdraw primitive calls, dx12 will have more space to maneuver (higher directdraw primitive calls) making even richer worlds with richer details - thus it will look better, with improved game engines of course. U3E would still look the same if they haven't rewritten/upgraded it to look more complex.

13. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    AMD never skimped on DirectX support on their HD 5000 an 6000 series, as opposed to Nvidia and their 400-800 series. AMD also announced they'll support DX12 on all their previous GPUs, same as Nvidia announced.

Also, the thing to consider is DX12 will not require a Shader 5.1 or 6. So that's why DX12 will be usable on all GPUs.

14. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Windows 7 will support the newer DirectX11.3 while W8.1 and W10 will get 11.3 and 12.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You have a source on this? Like I'm aware that AMD has supported various iterations of DX11 that Nvidia hasn't but AFAIK features like Conservative Rasterization & Volume Tiled Resources all require new hardware for support.

16. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    While I do agree that most devs wont have time/resources to build an engine taking full advantage of DX12 code-path, it's not necessarily their job.

They could/should use an existing engine like UE4/Frostbyte/Cryengine which will support DX12.

If you still want your own engine, DX11.3 is indeed a smarter idea.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Talking about photo-realism. If you have played CoD AW and seen some of the cut scenes i don't know what could be more realistic. Some of the CGI in the new CoD looks very real to me.

In fact i'm still not sure if it's the real actor or CGI sometimes. You try to tell me that DX11 isn't even capable of photo realism? BS. If they put the effort in then i'm pretty sure they could have near perfect real life animation.

I'm also pretty sure if i showed my misses some of Kevin Stacey's cut scenes then she would not have a clue it was CGI.

[​IMG]

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's never been about the graphics.

Could not care less about render times, as I know there is no way it would ever lower the amount of time it would take to render something in C4D, or an After Effects composition with 30 layers of animation. Oh, lest we not forget RAW sequences in Première Pro using the Mercury Engine...or Eyeon Fusion (which is free now via Black Magic Design's website btw).

If DX12 can cut all of those things down to minimal levels, then it gets my attention, until then...w/e, I got games coming outta my ears and I'm happy.

Windows 10 I'll get for free as a Windows 8.1 Pr0 users...so again it's shrug-town and move on for me.

Side-note:

Pumping up the 'quality' of graphics for video games means more clutter and 'graphics war' between developers and a general increase in the need to make everything look like a movie - as if that has any bearing on a game. It only means something to a marketing exec who then takes that BS and uses it for easy adverts and trailers.

God I want to figuratively kill those idiots.