i7 7700k Temperature issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dzy_1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  2. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Yep can't wait to go home and download the new bios. Gonna report back after.

3. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Results?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This cpu runs hot by default if over 1.30v+ in general..Its ok after delid, but its risky and voids intel warranty.

EDIT:

From what I saw the only real problem since Ivybridge is 3d-gate transistors, it gets very hot after 1.25v., especially 1.30v+.
    I see this too, Im ok up to 1.30v, 4.8ghz needs 1.33v and its too much for H90 p/p pressure focused fans

If you forced static 1.20v it would be ok, even in this newer prime95 @avx2 instructions.

Hwinfo64 shows bios auto adjusted cpu voltage @1.34v which then overheated those 3-d gate voltage transistors

You can try noctua NH-T1 or Gelid Extreme thermal paste, both very good, if not better then AS5.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017

5. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Been traveling this week for work so I'll report back later today or tomorrow

6. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    im actually thinking about going back from 7700K to 6700K. the heat and the OC
    are not the issue since i have efficient cooling.

my main problem with 7700K ( can't say if its fixable with future BIOS update ), is that
    on every day use ( browsing, watching a movie, using excel, clicking on pictures ) and
    general usage - the CPU frequency is instantly going up for 1-2 seconds, and than
    going to IDLE frequency again.

its killing me that the CPU cooling ( Noctua ) is spinning fast when im doing nothing that supposed to stress the CPU, and Intel isn't responding to it in their forums. i might wait
    for the Ryzen 5 1600X or just revert to the 6700K. my brother have a 6700K and he
    has no issue with IDLE cpu spikes.

7. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I seriously wish intel would fix their crap, and we wouldn't need to delid these CPU to get decent temps.

my 7700k before delid was pushing out 92c+ with a 5.1ghz overclock (1.382v) with a small watercooling loop. after I delid it same overclock temps are now 74c max, crazy changes.

Im using a Asus Impact viii z107 with the bios to support the 7700k works fine.

8. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    At my wit's end too.

updated the F21 bios for Gigabyte, and the voltages are now great.

However once again I'm hitting 90 degrees C running prime 95. I bought some new thermal paste so hopefully this will help as my AS5 was pretty old. But at my wit's end on this CPU.

Just googled and it seems sometimes the h100i's have an issue with the mounting plate being too lose. It seems to be snug after I screwed on the block but I think I'll go buy some fiber washers just to test and make sure its not the fault of the mounting plate.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Can you post the same Hwinfo64 screenshoot as before with new bios

btw just out of curiosity why do you keep insisting on stress testing it with prime95 with avx2 at stock frequency? Cpu is stable with default volts and normal workload isn't it? :)

Try this and report what temps you got

http://downloads.guru3d.com/x264-FHD-Benchmark-v1.0.1-64bit-download-2825.html

&

https://rog.asus.com/articles/news/realbench-v2-43-new-version-available-now/

This is the hottest you WILL EVER see it, ever.
    Just forget prime95, also when you test OC use fixed voltage, then use that stable voltage in adaptive mode.
    * But don't stress test it anymore or it will overshoot voltage because of those said avx instructions.

Anyaudio converter
    uses avx too, I see my cpu heat up more then normally when it encodes mp3s with this app, but it can do up to 5 on the fly and it also a good "heat" indicator..

10. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Okay reseated the cooler with fiber washers...temps maxing at 72 degrees now! The backplate was still moving a bit but I guess the tiny bit of space helped it make better contact hopefully these temps holds.