Decent monitor min. 24 inch [300€]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Roy Katzenbauer, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Roy Katzenbauer

Roy Katzenbauer Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    Hello,

Since my old monitor, Samsung Syncmaster 206BW, is basicly dying at this very moment, im looking for a good replacement.

This 206BW was a 20 inch monitor but im looking for something bigger now, at least 24 inch. My budget is around 300 euro.

Im not really sure what's important in a monitor so hope someone can help me out. The monitor will be used for Office (preferable 2 pages on 1 screen), Games and movies.

• What kind of screen would be the best choice? LED / LCD etc.
    • Preferable a monitor that is adjustable in height
    • Like i said, 24 inch or more (let's say in a range from 24 - 27 inch)
    • Not over 300 euro
    • When i switch to desktop while playing a game, this oldtimer 206bw is very fast in switching back. I would like to see this in a new monitor aswell.

Hope you people have something in mind!

Thanks in advance

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Definitely LED. LED (currently) just means the CCFL has been replaced by white LED globes. This results in power saving, thinner screens, better apparent contrast and blacks, and better longevity, since LED's last very much significantly longer than a CCFL.

I guess you mean flickering when you say dying? the flickering is caused by the CCFL. The CCFL is like any other fluorescent globe, they do deteriorate over time and flicker when they're in the later part of their life.

3. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    Correct. Its flickering 40-50 before my screen works constantly :-( Monitor is almost 5 years old so i coujd have expect these issues :)

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, thats normal for CCFL. Just think of all those LCD TV's out there :)!

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

TV's for use as standard PC monitors may not be the best idea though...

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You'd best explain that ;)

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Roy where are u located?

On your budget I would get a 27" monitor, I own Iiyama B2712HDS and it's very nice. Sturdy height and rotate adjustable stand, matte finish on the borders and the screen itself, decent brightness uniformity for a TN panel, works great for games (no noticeable lag or ghosting).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  9. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    It's your graphics card that matters when switching to desktop :p
    But I'd definitely go for a LED.

10. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    Im.located in.the.Netherlands. With the putchase of a.monitor.id rather order it in.my country to prevent damage to the.product.

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I've been umming and ahhing for the last few hours whether I should get one of these myself, its such a huge bargain!

For anyone else wondering:
    It uses polarised glasses (cool !) and comes supplied with 2 sets. Glasses are much cheaper to buy and dont need batteries.
    It needs the Tridef 3D software for PC gaming (supplied I believe), NVidia 3DVision cannot be used. Its not quite as good as 3D Vision but works well now.
    Its reported to be a very good PC display.
    It has a TV Tuner (not HD)
    2 HDMI in, can connect PC and Satellite/Cable/Xbox...
    2D to 3D conversion, probably more a gimmick but might be fun for some things.
    It can display 3D TV (Side by Side mode) unlike the NVidia 3D monitors.
    LED Backlit (not sidelit).

720p limit on 3D isnt that bad.
    At 1080p you need a lot of horsepower to run high detail in many games, it can get too slow in 3D mode.
    At least with 720p it will be smooth, it will be pushing less than 1/2 the pixels.

I want a 120Hz 27" 3D display but am not prepared to pay £500 for one that either doesnt support 3D TV or wont do 1080p 3D on NVidia (Tridef limitation on Samsung/LG 3D monitors), so it should be a good stand in.
    This is so well featured I cant believe the price.
    Should I ? :):):)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  13. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    I've read some good things about the Dell U2412M, but another question i had was: Is it worth considering a 120hz monitor when i use 60% for school / work and the other 40% for games and movies etc?

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ordered one, couldnt help it.

I made a mistake saying it does 3D only with 720p.
    It runs at 1080p but uses interlaced polarised lines to feed each eye 60Hz 1/2 res, its not 720p 120Hz.
    So it runs effectively at the same rendering rate as 1080p 60Hz non 3D.
    There may be an overhead for the Tridef 3D software, I'll find out more when I get it.
    I imagine any overhead would be on the CPU.

Something to be aware of.
    Many of the boxes are shipped with the wrong glasses which have a purple tint until you tilt your head 45 degrees.
    They will replace the glasses for free but you might have to call LG more than once to get someone who speaks sense (from what I've read).

Cant wait, the flicker free polarised glasses are a lot easier to view for a long time.
    Finally I'll be able to watch the 3D Sharapova vs Kvitova ladies final I've been saving :D

15. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    120hz is worthless for school, work and non-3D movies. Let's say you game 30% of the time on your PC. 120hz would make sense only if you played fast paced online games at least semi-competitively or wanted to play in 3D. And even then it would probably make more sense to prioritize the other 70% and get a 27" screen.

16. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    Thank you. I think the Dell 2412M is a good choice for me, although are you 100% sure it's my 206BW that is gettting old or could it be a GPU problem?

17. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Need more details about the problem. In any case you could quickly rule out the GPU by trying a different monitor, e.g. your TV.

Have you also tried a different cable?

18. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    No i don't have a different cable or a TV available. I will try and connect the monitor to another PC.

The problem is more that when i turn the monitor on, i got a signal for like 1 sec, then the monitors switches to some sort of standby mode (flickering on/off button) for 2/3 seconds and then i get signal for like 1 sec again... this happens 30-40 or maybe 50 times before i got a proper signal.

19. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Oh. Yeah it's probably the monitor getting old.

20. Roy Katzenbauer

GPU:
    XFX 5850 XXX
    Now i've tested my monitor on my laptop by connecting it with VGA/VGA connection. Same problem. So my monitor is clearly the problem here. The Dell U2412M is clearly the best choice to make now isnt it?