RAID Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by smiller303, May 6, 2010.

1. smiller303

smiller303 New Member

I have a question about "Best" RAID array -

Currently I have an ASUS Striker II Extreme, I have 2 60GB SSD's in RAID 0 for my OS / Performance.

Recently, one of my Hard Drives crashed. I lost over 500 GB's of valuable information.

Currently, I have 4 1 TB HD's from Western Digital. These are not 100% identical, some have 32mb cache, some have 64mb cache.

I want to know the best RAID array to maintain the most space, and in case any drive fails, I want to be able to replace it without loosing data.

Any help is appreciated!

smiller303@yahoo.com

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

raid 0+1 OR RAID10

RAID5 it's slower and loads more the PC, unless you have a nice RAID card.

BTW, doing RAID w/ integrated chips can allways cause problems , since they don't have and internal memory and battery to flush and save info in case you have a BSOD or power cut.........

about replacing drivers, keep in mind that those are not "hoy plug" disks and the intregrated raid controller need to support that as well.

in case of a hdd failing, you need to power off, unplug , plug the new one and rebuild the raid.
    Make sure your mobo can do that wo/ loosing the data.

Most of the time with RAID 0+1 or RAID 10, even if a drive fails, you'll be able to bk the data ; then change the faulty hdd, and then restore the data ofer a fresh raid build.

The best of all it's to keep a back up copy *allways*

with the 4 TB id go with RAID 0 + 1 if supported. You will have 2 TB of redundant data and better performance than RAID5 or RAID10

3. smiller303

smiller303 New Member

Thank you -

I had a feeling my best options were RAID 0+1 or 10, but was curious about RAID 5

I wad told w/ RAID 5. I would get 75% of space

BTW, backups get difficult with 3+ TB's of data

Thank you again - I may invest in a proper RAID card.

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

keep in mind that has to be at least PCIe x4 not to loose any bandwith and performance over the PC/RAID.

200 euros and up

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

6. smiller303

smiller303 New Member

Thank you for this valuable info - at $70 per 1TB drive, it is probably cheaper to just "Back up" the data

Thanks!