Nvidia driver DPC latency cause of my stutter?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sethos, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Hey guys,

I'm slowly going crazy here trying to find out why my games have this stutter, every 5-10 minutes that lasts for barely a second. While it may not seem bad, at some point it gets annoying. Sometimes it can be smooth for 15 minutes+ and then a small stutter.

It even happens on the desktop when watching movies in VLC!

I've been through almost every possible troubleshooting option except looking into DPC latency, as I knew very little about it. I tried disabling HPET through BIOS and Windows, confirmed off with WinTimer with zero change.

Here's two very short runs with LatencyMon

Desktop; http://pastebin.com/WizKVvXG nvlddmkm.sys at 500 µs and the hard pagefault bar went through the roof.

During a quick editor session of ArmA 3 where I experienced the stutter at one point; http://pastebin.com/bBEeNPUf and the Nvidia driver jumped.

So can anyone see anything relevant from that information, especially the ArmA one with a stutter thrown in? Are the sample recordings too short?

2. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Try to remove everything from your motherboard that isnt absolutely required, like sound cards etc. Then try to test things with just 1 of your cards plugged, then swap them.

Had this happen to me with my old x2 290 setup, it turned out that for some reason my mobo didn't like having 2 cards + sound card running at the same time, despite being completely capable of doing so.

3. sourkimchi

sourkimchi Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 GTX SC ACX 2.0
    Just wondering do you run more than one monitor? Ive had issues with high driver dpc latency when running more than one monitor.

4. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    So it might not be tied to DPC latency but instead just random dips.

I removed my sound card and uninstalled the driver. I removed my Intel NIC so all that's left is my two cards. I also turned off my secondary monitor and only ran with one, still got the stutter.

I checked out MSI afterburner and saw a huge dip in two lines as it happened;

[​IMG]

( I also believe GPU 1 & 2 are switched around ).

So something is going on ...

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This has been documented since r334+, its a driver issue. Apparently nv claimed it will be fixed with r337 - r343 but I guess not.

If you're in the mood to test try R331 if its still doing it.

My GK110 isnt affected like that though, ok it was 1-2 times but didnt see it again after nv claimed them fixes with r337+.. Also it could be cause its B1 revision, not sure.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  6. Johannah

Johannah Guest

GPU:
    TUF 3090
    I have the exact same problem, in games and in vlc. Ive also tried disable my soundcard, disable my nic, switch places on my two 780ti´s and like you I still get the random stutter. Its like you hit pause and then unpause again a blink of an eye later.

Ive tried windows 7 and windows 8 (and currently 8.1) they all got the same problem. For me it started for about exactly a year ago, and ever since then its been like this.

here is my old thread about this problem: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387923

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    All that mentioned it yeah it was after R331 (a good year old)..

8. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    So if I had to go back to R331, what about SLI profiles, would I have to update every single one manually then?

Also, any specific branch in the R331 line recommended more than others? What about these iCafe drivers, anything in that line?

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  10. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Profiles imported, how? Would I then have to get someone to export their profile so I could import it? Because that would be a major hassle.

And is the 337 known to be good in this situation or is this just a "Try and see" situation, compared to the R331 branch?

I almost want to ditch these cards, GTA V coming next month and I'm getting fed up with this stutter.

11. wyldmagik

wyldmagik Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA-1070-FTW
    I have seen those dips just the same for a mnth and a day through a fair bit of pc gaming, I had those even on my amd cards of late, to me its a texture streaming issue/load time or such or thats how it seems to me when it happens and watching in games whats going on.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For example with nvinspector, use current idk 347.09 export all custom profiles then import them back with older driver.

13. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Sorry, but I'd rather shoot myself than having to go through that. Imagine all future driver release, I'd have to beg people to upload profiles. :p

Think I might just pick up a pair of 980s, because this stuttering is doing my head in.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Select all your custom optimized profiles> export.. install old driver > import back in. *3-4 clicks.

Or do you have all your game profiles in nvcpl at their stock/untouched?

15. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    But SLI profiles and fixes are added all the time, then I would have to do that constantly with new profiles. That is too big of a hassle for me, no way would I do that.

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    This is NOT just a nvidia driver problem. To many dont have the problem, some with the same two graphics cards dont have the problem.

Just saying if you leave it as just a driver problem you will never get it fixed. Way to many other hardware even other apps running in the back ground can cause it. Sometimes just a silly bios problem.

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I think I have the problem too, didn't play many games because I felt something is wrong and I wanted to play using 3D.

I think it's driver related, but not just, I had small and big (2 sec freeze) freezes on special occasions in games like APB reloaded and Lara Croft ossis .

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    btw Sethos

what SLI bridge do you use, soft or hard?

[​IMG]

I saw few people saying changing from soft to hard fixed all issues.

19. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Dude, you're literally pressing the export button in inspector, installing the r331 driver, and pressing the import button. Its just a txt file.

20. Johannah

Johannah Guest

GPU:
    TUF 3090
    I have tired both, but its still the same for me. Currently using a "hard" one.