User review kinda shows GeForce GTX TITAN-Z against R9 295x2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well this is a clear win for AMD in my eyes, especially given the half price value! This is also assuming that there is not horrendous frame pacing issues with AMD, but they've been resolved now for the most part in 2 way crossfire as far as I'm aware.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We addressed that in our review my man:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_review,30.html

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Cheers for the link Hilbert. I did read that article, this card was a "Top Pick" for you then, and by reading your conclusion I can see that frame pacing is no longer a concern, although you say NVidia is just slightly ahead in that respect. Yes, clear win for AMD with this card so far.

And your article related to Project FreeSync is another arrow in AMD's quiver that might make this purchase more attractive too:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/vesa_adds_adaptive_sync_to_displayport_video_standard.html

Last edited: May 13, 2014

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Ever since nvidia announced this titanz, before 295X and even after it was released, nvidia main enemy is NVIDIA.

2 titan black equal or even better than titanz, 780TI is ever way better then both and 295X. the price of titanz is really not even funny at 1 april.

But i believe nvidia wanted to poke AMD so they release the card before the Z, but they didn't think that hawaii will explode like that(pon intent)

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    agree,
    Now more and more config accept tripleSLI or 4SLI.
    so why buy a TITAN Z with 2 lower clock kepler at 3000€ when you can buy 3 titan black full clocked at the same price (and have even some € left to go to restaurant and nightclub with your GF/BF/Dog etc)...

despite that i still prefer the chameleon right now... to work with, you have better results than with AMD (price is just a data here).

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    if i would buy into that, i would go only for 780TI SLI or double titan black IF u need the DP. best option all around, this titan Z need to CTRL+Z and then redo it so it justify the 1500$ price(yeah i think 3000$ won't work even if card was 50% faster than 295X, price is INSANE)

8. lantian

lantian Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if they would cancel the titan z all together, only someone who is either brain dead or has unlimited funds would buy a product thats almost the same performance but two times as expensive, i hope not a single sample of that card gets sold, nvidia has finally shot themselves in the foot with 3000buck price, i bet they were hoping amd wont have their card ready yet and milk the costumers, didnt quite work out as the titan did lol

9. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    The specs of the Titan Z destroy the Radeon on paper....except for the clock. You simply can't beat that. Clock a basically inferior product significally higher and it will beat the theoretically better but lower clocked product.

10. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    This days for comparing competing graphics cards one of the main points for me is performance per watt, the price is ruled by the market sooner or later. Like the new GTX750/Ti is a master piece of engineering, although this being a Maxwell core and this Titan's are still Kepler. But when the TDP of this card is known is a better time to judge them, until that day I only see this massive 500W for the 295x2.

By the way I'm a happy owner of GTX 750Ti in my car simulator rig, guess what, does the same as my GTX 560Ti without requiring a PCIe power connector, when was the last time we saw something like this?

11. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    A pair of 780 Ti in SLI also drain around 500 W. Unfortunately there aren't any top tier cards with low power consumption :(

12. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I hope for some sort of optimization when PCB is shared for both chipset instead of separated graphics. The clock is also lower compared to 780Ti and Titan Black. Also the heat generated from AMD requiring a liquid cooling also increases the consumption, this is only speculation because I don't really know the real impact with this solution, although being a good one keeping th card cool, but again if the technology was good there is no need for that fancy colling.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Embarassing nVidia. Please have meetings regarding important stuff like...um, I don't know...maybe MAXWELL High end cards??? Could be *slightly* more important than this PR marketing trick. I mean really...

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    $3k for that? Phahahahaha, what a fail. Completely devoid of common sense. Who do Nvidia think they are?

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Yea...

Glad I have my TI's rather than that.

Even if it was priced lower, I'd still go for the AMD personally if I wanted a dual GPU card, as I'm quite a fan of it & its cooling.

Exactly what nvidia can do about this now...(considering the cards are made and shipped to atleast some suppliers...) - A driver fix is doubtful to make a huge difference?

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They'll probably re-market it to keep the high price, or make it a Limited Edition, as i just can't see them releasing it at a much lower price, like around the 295x2s, they'll launch the faster 790 for that.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I find it shocking that NVIDIA are selling the Titan Z for $3,000. I thought the £900 Titan was obscenely priced but the fact that AMD have a card that is just as fast as the Titan Z for half the price just shows how ridiculous NVIDIA's pricing really is..and that's taking into account that AMD's card is also a tad overpriced!!! :puke2:

18. Lebowski

Lebowski Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Zotac
    I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia don't change the cooler for a water cooling loop like the and card. That way they could increase clocks to give better performance to put some distance in front of amd card.

The price is still obscene and clearly they are better options out there.

19. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    $2,999!!!! for the GTX TITAN-Z against R9 295x2 at $1,500?
    What the hell is Nvidia thinking? they must be crazy to launch the TITAN-Z at that price point when the AMD R9 295x2 is going for only $1,500 with similar performance.
    You must be crazy to invest that kind of money for a gaming GPU.
    Even if there is someone who needs that kind of performance along with the 6gb of memory it's only logical they will invest $2,000 for 2 GTX TITANS (which what the TITAN-Z basically is) and save $1,000.
    Maybe Nvidia will surprise us with the GTX TITAN-Z and will turn out to be triple GPU card with 3 GK110 GPUs.

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    $3,000 is a lot considering the Titan black goes for $1,000 but it also comes with nearly double the DP of the 295x2 and that's what Titan's are, DP cards.
    Rather see NVidia working on the 790 or Maxwell tbh.