Newbie Question - 7950 - Catalyst

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by BushWookie87, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BushWookie87

BushWookie87 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7950
    Hey guys i recently received my first gaming rig from Ibuypower. My system specs are i7 3820 3.60ghz, Radeon HD 7950 (non oc edition), 8gb ddr3-1600, 3-way sli gigabyte ga-x79, 120gb adata s510 ssd with a 1000 watt power supply. As stated I'm new to a lot of this but after reading i should be able to overclock my graphics card just fine without having to change the voltage. I tried experimenting yesterday after reading Guru's article on the card, but i encountered a slight problem. It could be me just not grasping the concept so bare with me. I'm only using catalyst and i have the latest driver. I tried changing the first setting to the 1000mhz (800 being default) and the memory from (1250 default) to 1575 like he said without having to change the voltage. I also moved the last bar over to the 20% like stated. I tried running battlefield 3 and swtor right after rebooting my pc and both games crashed and i go the "graphics card failed and has repaired itself." Should i go for a lower oc? is there a site for certain thresholds i should try out first? I'd appreciate any feedback to get more familiar with this. Thanks a lot guys!