Overclocking GTX570 2.5gb and cpu i5 2500k

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by thomasf94, Apr 16, 2012.

1. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Hello all!

well this is going to be my first time to overclock, and im gonna be building my desktop next week, and I want to overclock my 570 to the stock performance of a 580, and my cpu to about 4.5 ghz (if that's possible. haha) so any tips/tutorials would be awesome! :)

Thanks!

2. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    First thing you need, when overclocking, is some temperature monitoring utilities. Then some, for stability testing.

For the CPU you can try hardware monitor ( at www.cpuid.com ) and prime95 & memtest86+ for stability testing (google them for download links).
    For the video card you can try MSI Afterburner for monitoring & overclocking. For stability you just check if it hangs or artifacts while gaming. The utility I like the most for testing is the old ATItool.

When it comes to the CPU, this Sandy Bridge you have should overclock via multiplier and not give you much trouble. First find the maximum CPU overclock at stock CPU voltage. Then, if you cooling system can afford it (always with monitoring temperatures), you increase the voltage to stabilize a bit higher overclocks.

The GPU is a bit more tricky. The GTX570 GPU is overclockable, but the power area of the card will struggle with the increased power consumption. It is a bit dangerous to push a GTX 570 to high overclocks, especially if you are with the stock cooling system. I personally wouldn't raise the voltage of this card. If you plan to change the cooler, I suggest getting one that properly cools the power area. To get to the performance level of the 580 you need to overclock the GPU core to about 824 MHz and the memory to about 1202 MHz. The core will most likely overclock that far, but the memory is unlikely to do 1200.

3. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Interesting.. Thanks for the reply! so...personally, how far would you suggest would be the all around safest and farthest you would overclock the 570? (only with the stock cooling installed on the card)

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Basically anything you do on stock voltage should be safe. Just test the boundaries of your particular card with some heavy-hitting tests like ATItool, as orion24 suggested, furmark or something similar (I like using Crysis as it sometimes pushes a card otherwise stable in furmark over the edge). If you want to increase voltage, search the forum for 570 overclock and you should see people's experiences.

Good luck

5. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    That 570gtx should be able to OC to at least 850mhz, but it depends on the voltage.. If your stock voltage is ~ 0.975v, then you would need ~ 1.030v.. Maybe more, maybe less.

6. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Alright, sounds good.

Thanks for the input/tips guys!

7. angmar

angmar Guest

Which cooler are you using on the cpu....you won't be able to do to much overclocking with the stock cooler.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  9. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    that cooler is fine to about 4.5ghz

11. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    thats fine for your system, oc away

13. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB
    Suweeet, thanks for the help! all my parts come in tonight, so I'll probably OC later this week after I build my rig! :bunch:

14. lucacoya

lucacoya Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 570 1280mb
  15. thomasf94

thomasf94 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 2GB

Very nice build! sadly I haven't had time to OC, been really busy with work, but I probably will next week, I'll let you know how it goes! so far, I am in love with my build.. hahah, its amazing, I have bf3 MAXED out! so much fun. :)

16. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080