Upgraded car stereo. Awesome!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by nateluthje, Oct 25, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    G'day All,

Ive got an Hyundai i30 (2010). Already had a pair of Focal ES KX2 6.5" splits in the front running off a focal f 2.75 power series amp (100watts RMS into 2 channel).

Sounded good, but I was using the factory head deck,so I got a lot of distortion even at low levels. Bought 4 x E30 12" K2 power subs (800 watts RMS each) and an alpine IVE-W554ABT head unit.

Running subs of 2 x DB 1900watt RMS each amps and put extra pair of Focal's in rear.

Sound is AMAZING - especially with the new deck. There is NO distortion from splits or subs, although it is hard to see what is behind you looking in the rear vision mirror when it's cranked to about 75%.

Can't run it at full power for too long because it draws over 400amps - and my alternator only puts around 100amps into the battery. Would post picture but I can't. Total power of system is 6600 Watts RMS.

My next car will be a Golf 2.0 TDI (can't afford a GTI), but Focal make a utopia series system that starts at about $24000 AU. Will have to save for like 100 years to afford, but it will be worth it!

Wondering if there are any audio aficionados out there and would love to hear what stereo components they are running, especially from the US because I know some of you guys' stereo's ARE COMPLETELY NUTS and with the AU $ at the moment, having a good stereo in the US is a lot cheaper than here in AUS.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nate.

2. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I would say I am into audio though I have not had a vehicle since 1991 and I was never into car audio much beyond an AM radio.

Most recently I took delivery of a Graham Slee Accession phono preamp from Britain. I wish now that I had waited a few more weeks for England's economy to fully crash and Brexit to take its toll. Even so I got the Graham Slee for a reasonable price and I will not complain. As I said in the Brexit thread I am really sorry for the British but I will do my best to buy their stuff while it is cheap.

My speakers are B&W 801's, but my amp and preamp are American (Threshold and Crown). My turntable is Kenwood and I have nothing against the Japanese.

Now having the Graham Slee after decades of digital audio I am really enjoying my old LP collection, of which I have about three hundred records.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'd say i'm an "audio aficionado".... but I think my definition of that, and yours, seem to be on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    But you use onboard sound on your PC :nerd:

I played around with audio on my old car. Upgraded the factory amp to the premium model, replaced the speakers with quality Infinity Reference units, and added tweeters. I chose not to go with an aftermarket sub though, as I'm not really interested in annoying the people around me at lights (I hate that nonsense).

My Fiat though has the Beats system from the factory and it sounds pretty nice. Lots of bass. I don't have any plans to upgrade it. Seems the further we get, the better new car audio systems are getting.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You don't need to upgrade the sub to something the rattles your tag. A open air 8" sub that is around 200W RMS will give your music that much needed body. Of course that depends on the type of music you listed to. I used to run a sealed 10" and kept is at a low level because I listen to a lot of rock (classic, hard, metal and hardcore) so punchy accurate bass is needed.

My Silverado is in desperate need of a sub just don't want to take up the space with one.

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea.... i'm also running a Mini-ITX build.... and a high end GPU and on board sound is more preferable than on-board video and a high end sound card. Not to mention that unless you're wearing cans... i don't think there's that discernible of a difference between on board and dedicated sound cards anymore anyway.

As far as audio goes... It's exactly like Loophole said. It's silly to throw massive subs in your car and crank them up to 11. You can use a small, lower powered subwoofer to give your music a bit of punch, or say heck with it and put in a pair of 10" or 12" higher powered subs and have the power on them turned back to create that much deeper punch, without all the license plate rattly qualities of the average 1998 Volkswagen Ricerschnitzel (Which i have to say, thanks to Urban Dictionary, is my new favorite word to define most VW's i see anymore) you see at a stop sign/light or parked in the fire lane of a local shopping center.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And here I'm running around with a cheap set of Pioneer TSG6845R and no amp at all...

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I got a free upgrade of my car audio lately.

Corrosion ate through the exhaust pipe, sound is now much more sportscarlike...

/troll

:bonk:

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Not being hugely in to in car audio, cause a). I spent three years doing audio installs in other people's cars and hated every second of it and b). frankly cars are the worst place to do anything when it comes to audio, I would take the money from the sound system and just get the Golf GTI instead.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sounds cards are old hat, it's all about external DAC's now. So no worries about internal space :nerd:

And I completely agree, you don't need a big woofer to add a lot to the soundstage. I was just happy without one, since I added low pass filters to the front speakers so they handled the lows without distorting. The Taurus also had pretty good acoustics in the cabin, as far as I'm concerned. I know cars are a crappy place for good audio, but despite that it was a pretty good setup. In the Fiat, it has a smaller sub in the rear hatch area along with six speakers. Good sound stage, although its definitely biased for extra bass for hip hop/EDM listeners by default. I'm normally too busy listening to the engine, but it really bumps if you turn it up.

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... That's a Beats Audio system for ya. Haha

In my last Smart ForTwo, I had a nice $400 set of component speakers in the doors, and the factory underseat subwoofer. Sounded amazing. Plan on getting some nice speakers like that again for my current Smart, but think a new head unit comes first.

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Just changed my car to a 2015 Jaguar Sportbrake Portfolio it has an awesome 17 speaker 825w Meridian surround sound system I am loving how clear my music is no matter how loud I want it.

Details from Meridian site

Digital Signal Processing
    As pioneers and leaders in the field of Digital Signal Processing (DSP) technology, Meridian is able to deliver your music authentically to recreate the passion and involvement of your musical moments. Power-efficient, active DSP crossovers are individually tailored to distribute music to each speaker, bringing your music to life.

Digital Dither Shaping
    Many sources of music are enjoyed through digital audio systems such as radio, USB and Bluetooth audio streaming. To maintain the quality of these musical recordings, they are converted into a common format. Meridian Digital Dither Shaping ensures that digital signal changes are made smooth and seamless, preserving the finest details of the performance. The result is authentic, engaging musical enjoyment, evoking the emotions of the original recording.

Meridian Cabin Correction
    Meridian Cabin Correction technology intelligently and discreetly optimises the audio system to the precise acoustics of the vehicle cabin, preserving the natural rhythm of the performance. This unique Meridian technology enables bass notes to be reproduced cleanly, ensuring that the clarity and definition of each instrument and vocal are tailored to the interior of your cabin.

Trifield
    Meridian’s exclusive Trifield technology, specifically created for musical reproduction, recreates the venue of the original musical performance for all passengers in the vehicle. Blending the centre and surround channels seamlessly with left and right channels delivers a consistent, concert-like experience, optimised for all seating positions. Meridian Trifield technology expands the sense of space within the cabin bringing you closer to the music.

http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/meridian-xf-sportbrake-ds[4321].pdf

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... 17 speakers just seems like way too much for what is necessary. Kinda sounds to me like they wanted to make their sound system sound incredible without really putting any sort of high end equipment into it. You know... like how some cars offer "premium" sound system upgrades from big names like JBL, Beats, etc... and if you ever look at the actual speakers themselves, they just look like a bunch of generic speakers with paper cones and hardly a single big name branding anywhere on the things.

Clear music doesn't require a vast array of every type of speaker imaginable (seriously... 3 speakers in each front door?). It just requires proper adjustment with quality speakers. Like i said... in my previous Smart ForTwo, all i had were a set of $400 component speakers from Hertz Audio connected to a 200W 2-channel amp under the seat, and the factory underseat subwoofer (which wasn't much of anything, really), and even one of the guys at the dealership said he had never heard a car so small sound so crisp, clear, and punchy.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Don't really no about speakers but I do know the audio in my car sounds fantastic when I set it to meridian surround sound.

these are the speakers I have no idea if there good or bad

Tweeter • Ultra-light aluminium alloy dome for maximum efficiency and extended HF response • Low moving-mass design for superb transient handling and negligible distortion • Powerful neodymium magnet assembly for maximum efficiency and linearity, and minimum weight.

Bass & midrange • Mica-filled polypropylene cones for stiffness and damping • Low moving-mass design for superb transient handling and negligible distortion • Powerful neodymium magnet assemblies for maximum efficiency and linearity, and minimum weight • Tight, dynamic and precise sound, with deep bass and excellent midrange reproduction

25mm Tweeter
    Nominal Impedance: 4***937;
    Power Handling RMS: 25W
    Power Handling Max: 50W
    Sensitivity (1W/1m): 88 dB ± 2dB
    Resonance Frequency: 1.4 kHz
    Operating Freq Bandwidth: 3 kHz – 20 kHz
    THD @ 10W: <1%

100mm Midrange
    Nominal Impedance: 2***937;
    Power Handling RMS: 70W
    Power Handling Max: 100W
    Sensitivity (1W/1m): 87 dB ± 2dB
    Resonance Frequency: 115 Hz
    Operating Freq Bandwidth: 200 Hz – 5 kHz
    THD @ 10W: <2%
    Linear Excursion: ± 2mm

165mm Bass
    Nominal Impedance: 2***937;
    Power Handling RMS: 70W
    Power Handling Max: 100W
    Sensitivity (1W/1m): 89 dB ± 2dB
    Resonance Frequency: 60 Hz
    Operating Freq Bandwidth: 60 Hz – 3 kHz
    Linear Excursion: ± 3mm

250mm Subwoofer
    Nominal Impedance: 2 x 2***937;
    Power Handling RMS: 2 x 70W
    Power Handling Max: 2 x 100W
    Sensitivity (1W/1m): 88 dB ± 2dB
    Resonance Frequency: 50 Hz
    Operating Freq Bandwidth: 30 Hz – 100 Hz
    Linear Excursion: ± 10mm Enclosure Volume: 32 litres

Amplification Type:
    Class D with feedback.
    Channels: 12 or 15.
    Power Rating (0.2% THD): 380W or 825W

here is a review of the sound system it is the same as the one fitted in a range rover

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-t...-in-car-surround-sound-should-be-like-1096296

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    About 15 years ago, I upgraded my cars hifi so my girly and I could enjoy great sound on a long road trip holiday together.
    2 days before, the car was broken into at work and the system stolen.
    I suffered bust locks, other entry damage, a ruined dash, butchered wiring, a ton of stress, had to get a much cheaper system in quickly and a bit of the shine was taken off the trip.
    I didnt claim for it because I would have paid it back through bumped up premiums.

Such a huge amount of aggravation for a common event.
    Since then I havent upgraded my cars audio in a way that can be seen.
    Not one break in since.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Don't get me wrong... i'm not trying to say it doesn't sound good or anything like that. I'm sure it sounds phenomenal. It just seems to me like they probably just wanted to make it sound worth whatever astronomical price was charged for the upgrade by throwing as many speakers into it as they could logically do, to cover every aspect of sound, rather than fewer speakers that were just as capable. You know.... as if people were car shopping and thought "Well... the Mercedes has a 12-speaker sound system option, so that's probably better for my listening enjoyment than the 8-speaker Lexus."

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    your right car company's like to have something better than the competition this stereo is standard for the portfolio but very expensive upgrade for lower spec models around £1000 to upgrade. Expensive for the same money you would get an awesome home audio system. I never upgrade car audio systems I just get what it comes with cars are not the best place for sound

18. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    A car audio thread :evilgrin:

Recently got an Alpine iDE-178BT installed with a ported JL audio sub. Already had JL tweeters and mids installed from the previous upgrade.

The installation guy asked why I went with an Alpine headunit when Pioneer and Kenwood offer superior feature & audio quality.
    I've always stuck with Alpine headunits couldn't quite see how much more a console is going to make a difference compared to a decent amp.

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    LOL.....will people just let it go.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Hey now, the Beats system uses quality Alpine speakers and a good amp :nerd: