GTA V + 15.4 w/MSAA = Artifacts in bottom right corner.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtdew332, Apr 20, 2015.

1. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    This only seems to affect the 280, 270 and 7xxx/6xxx GPUs.
    It DOES NOT affect the 290/290x.
    (I can confirm this because I own 2x R9 290's and 2x HD 7950's and using the same 15.4 beta drivers the 7950's are affected and the R9 290's are not)

This is using the latest 15.4 drivers optimized for GTA V with a 280, 270 and 7xxx/6xxx GPUs.

1: Issue - When enabling MSAA along with Post FX set at anything above HIGH, you get a artifacts in a box in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    This means owners of those GPUs cannot run MSAA with DOF and other Post FX enabled.
    Screenshot of issue
    LINK 1
    LINK 2
    LINK 3 (not my video but it does clearly show the issue/workaround)

2: Simply Disabling MSAA or turning Post FX down to high is NOT a fix....its a WORKAROUND!

3: How about Just fixing this for once instead of waiting 6 months down the road so people running those GPUs can run the game correctly.

We understand AMD has limited resources and a small driver team, so its more efficient to concentrate on optimization for AMDs latest/greatest/current flagship GPUs first.

But you should release a fix for those people who are running lower end AMD GPUs as well.

I for one no longer have faith in AMD.
    When I bought my 7950's these type of issues on my old 6950's were ignored.
    When I bought my R9 290's now these types of issues are ignored on my 7950's.
    Now what do you think is going to happen to issues like this on the R9 290 series GPUs when the 3xxx series is released?...yeah...there is a clear pattern here. :bang:

This crap of submitting bug reports and begging on forums for WELL KNOWN / WIDESPREAD issues to be fixed is getting real old!
    Its not like AMD cannot test the drivers on their own GPUs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To tell you the truth, it's a bit hard of a problem to miss, which means that they either a) Didn't test, b) Didn't care, c) They didn't have time.
    Still stupid, but let's hope it's c.

3. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    D) they were too busy fixing a 10 year old game nobody plays anymore

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Which is?

5. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    things like this from drivers 15.3
    [413392] Star Trek Online : Block corruption is experienced when MSAA is enabled in the in game settings
    although i admit not quit 10 years old only 5 but it's not exactly the most popular of games .

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    If your talking about Max Payne 3, those updates are for the new rockstar social club integration, and also the smaller patches are for multiplayer to try and stop hackers ruining the game.

7. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    no, we are talking about AMD fixing or maybe failing to fix things NOT rockstar.This time around rockstar have done an AMAZING job on GTA a great contrast from GTA IV.

8. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    AMD just showed us what to do if you want to lose all the customers. Again =)

The biggest PC release of the last several years and we have only beta driver with not working MSAA and not working special AMD shadowing AMD CHS (the only special AMD technology in that game). Great =)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    Drivers are still a big issue for AMD cards, the GTA 5 corrupt gfx with MSAA is a perfect example.

If that is still the case when its time for me to upgrade my GPU, it will undoubtedly weigh in on my choice of card brand.

10. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Irrelevant that 15.4 is a beta driver. MSAA works (though with some GPU models, creates a problem in right lower corner - workaround, turn Postfx to high to correct). AMD CHS works.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Unfortunatelly this game uses same engine as Gta IV,Rage engine, with same problem: Shadows.
    So the broken shadows in this game are not very easy to fix from Amd or Nvidia,its about r* and their old&cr*p engine.

AMD CHS its not very good,I better use Softest shadows.

12. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    it's more looks like one of Levels Of Details for those shadows is broken, so any other shadowing technology looks much better, than AMD CHS.

PS

it seems, that today's patch made AMD CHS better (it's still a little pixelized, but it's now can compete to other shadowing options (i think that now AMD CHS is better than all sharp and soft shadows, but NVIDIA PCSS is still better))

MSAA is still broken.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The engines probably share the same name and developer tools, but the renderer/cpu utilization is nothing like GTA IV.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Surely there will be a fix, just stop whining all please... it's ridiculous, OMG AMD THIS OMG AMD THAT, ****ing stfu already.

Those who think this is a big issue p*ss off already and choose nvidia lol, both sides have issues.

Use FXAA for now. Those who can downsample downsample.

AMD CHS works.

15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    People who spend money on a product have a right to complain whether you like it or not. It's not appropriate to tell people to "stfu" on a forum. That's what forums are for (discussions); maybe you're in the wrong place. Maybe you shouldn't click on a thread where people are complaining to tell them to stop complaining (maybe you're the only one here that should actually take your own advice and stfu). I haven't commented on this thread before, and I'm happy with GTA's performance personally, but I do see why some people are complaining about genuine issues they're having.

16. G-lad21

G-lad21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    same artifact for me, but the games runs way smoother than GTA IV.

my real problem is the game crashed after 10 min of gameplay on crossfire 15.4.

anyone else?

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I couldn't express it better than you. :)

I can only add to this there are already too much AMD fanboyism in this forum trying to stop complains about any problem or incomplete feature on AMD drivers.

That's what is really ridicoulus been this forum name:

"Amd Catalyst Drivers Section"

Not:

"AMD WORKSHIP SECTION!" :D

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Game runs very good for me. No artifacts with MSAA (even up to x8). Works good.

19. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I'm an AMD Fanboy myself, but you can't just tell people to "stfu" when they're actually discussing a real issue. I want to go out there and buy a GTX 980 right now, that's how pissed I am with what AMD has been doing recently (not for me personally; for those with cross-fire setups), but I've been such a long term user (well over a decade), that I'm waiting for the R9 390 & 390x, and I'll probably buy one just because I don't want AMD to be out of business, because the day they go out of business, nVidia will start selling crap at double the price (simply because there is no competition). I shouldn't care, but I do.

With a single 7970 MSAA drops my FPS significantly, so I don't use MSAA at all, but the artifacts at the bottom right corner issue is there when I enabled it just to check. So why shouldn't people have the right to complain about this issue? It's beyond me why anyone would tell them to 'stfu'.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If only... :infinity: