(AMD) my new cpu scores lower than my previous.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by metalupyourmax, Dec 28, 2014.

1. metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7870@1170mhz
    Today I replaced my old Phenom II x4 840 with an AMD FX 4130. The new cpu compared to my old, runs 600mhz faster stock, has an l3 cache unlike the other, and is much newer. After my excitement was over and my pc was booted, I reran the Windows Assessment test and much to my surprise, my cpu score went from 7.3 to 7.2. I figured this was just an issue with that and I ran 3dmark. My overall score dropped almost 400, and the physics score dropped by 1000. In confusion, I went into the bios and disabled c1e, c6, and APM. Re ran the tests and still the same speed. The processor is always at the stock speed and is unparked, so why is it slower exactly? Is it maybe just slower in certain operations, or do I have something set wrong. The temperatures are also very good, 55 c average under load and 30c idle. I ran passmark performance test and I score 4185 for my cpu. The reported score online by passmark for my cpu is 4194, so that is good. Any explanations and ideas for the lower scores? thanks! I also found two hotfixes for the bulldozer architecture on windows 7 and installed them but still no difference.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Propus has slightly stronger cores than Vishera architecture. Thats why the Phenom 1100T is still next to the fx 6300. Still its a fair bit stronger than your previous cpu.

Really weird.

Could you check with actual games? If it runs better in games I think its negligible.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7870@1170mhz
    So should I not worry about the 3dmark and windows assessment score? Will games still run faster and better, or did I basically pay to downgrade? I dont understand how it could be slower, with a faster frequency and L3 cache.

edit to respond to your edit: I dont really know how my games ran before fps wise, and i dont think it will be a visible difference.

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Test it, if its actually slower then I would RMA it.

5. metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7870@1170mhz
    i'd hate to RMA it. Ill just hope that 3dmark and windows arent being very accurate.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Tbh I think you were better off with that phenom. Bulldozer was a flop on release.

7. metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7870@1170mhz
    Ok, so I ran Passmark again and better analyzed the results. I saw a Phenom II x4 955 on the chart so I assumed that is a bit better than my phenom ii 840 was. Turns out on two or three tests the x4 did a little better, but the rest of the cpu tests, my 4130 did better on. I guess the 4130 just wasnt as good on the particular load it was put under in 3dmark, but its better at other sorts of things. Not bad then?

8. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    In a way it was a sidegrade at best, and equal performance typically. Unless you clock it up very high, it'll not be very fast. If you had gotten a FX4300 or better yet, the Piledriver 3M/6T models, then you'll be set for most games and applications. Can you see if you can return it for a better model? I've tried playing a number on games with an A8-5600K + discreet card, even overclocked its too slow in CPU dependent games like BF3/4, SC2, Watch Dogs (these were the only heavy games I tried on it), causing FPS dips below 30 very often.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Yes, sad to say but the 4130 is kind of weak. A 4300 or much better, a 6300, would work better. All of the quad core FX series are underwhelming but the 4300 and 4350 are the best.

If they won't take it back, you could always sell it on eBay and recover some of the cost.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If it were me I wouldn't go no lower than fx 6300 as far as the FX line goes because the 6300 is pretty cheap and pretty good budget CPU.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    As a 6300 user, I would agree. It's a very good CPU for the price and a lot better than any of the quad core offerings.

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Your two main problems here are:

1) You bought a Zambezi core FX processor instead of Vishera which is SLOW. Piledriver is a marked improvement over Bulldozer.
    2) You bought a quad core, when it would be highly recommended to get atleast a 6-core. The power in the FX processors is in the multi-threading.

My recommendation is to return the processor if you can, and get a Vishera (Piledriver) based 6 or 8 core. Bare minimum AMD FX-6300.

14. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB REV3
    Hard to judge what the results will be with just specs, I suppose.

15. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    Amd cpu purchase

I KNOW THIS IS WAAAY LATER BUT FOR FUTURE READERS I ALWAYS GO TO CPUBOSS.COM before I do any cpu buying. It is a wealth of information, not always written in stone, but gives you enough info to see what you are getting into. If you had used this before purchasing the fx cpu it would have told you they are about dead even in performance, and actually costs you more to operate due to higher wattage consumption. Newer isn't always better lord knows I have found out the hard way many a time:bang: It also has GPUBOSS.COM and SSDBOSS.COM now too:banana: Happy puting!!!!

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Until applications start to use some of the extension sets found in Vishera, anything that is lower than a 6100 on the FX side will be neck and neck with Phenom counter parts. Kevari on the other hand, despite not having l3 cache is doing very well. :D