Windows 10 build 10125: New icons, UI changes and more

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2015.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Personally I'm okay with the simplicity look Microsoft is going with. Windows 10 looks awesome how it is now!

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Hmmm?
    Start8 is this: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
    Also works on Windows 10, been testing it on the latest preview.
    Sorry if I misunderstood your comment.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Think you're thinking of StartIsBack, but last I checked it didn't work on 10 yet

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Keyboard shortcuts are fine, but only work to some extend, has it's limit. :)
    I do also type most of the system shortcuts instead of looking for their icons, it's faster, but since I'm a human I can't remember the name of them all.

The new start menu is pretty crappy to use, why care about the aesthetics and cleanness of Windows when usability is what matters the most?

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Too bad there's still no Aero. This retro look they went for starting with Win 8 will forever be bizarre no matter how long it's around.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And that divides people. I hate aero it looks silly. I do like this w8.1 look tho...

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i hate Aero as well.

Is the cleaner, simpler look not getting quite common, Material design on Lollipop is similar.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    It's because some people (myself included) use the start screen as a second desktop. I have a s**tton of shortcuts there.
    It's inconvenient to go to the desktop when I have multiple apps open (which happens frequently even with 2 screens since I work in web programming).
    You can search for the program in the start menu, that's true but 2 clicks is also more convenient than click + type + click/enter.

This is the exact reason why I enjoy the metro interface. But of course, the user should have a choice. People like you don't like it, simple as that. Give us the choice.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Which begs the question why are MS so stubborn about giving options? Just like with trying to force that abomination of a start screen. A lot of people hate it, just by making it optional they could have massively increased Win 8 adoption rates. But they were stubborn to the bitter end and now they're going back on that and also naming their next update Windows 10 to try to distance it from the stigma that's associated with Win 8.

Personally I'll never understand this retro look they're going for. It makes everything look outdated and dull to me. Even their physical products go for sharp square edges with that pseudo-retro appearance. I despise it.

How long has Win 8/8.1 been around now? Most people who ever mentioned it around me still rant about how much they hate it and how ugly it is in their opinions. It's money in the bank if MS just pull their heads out of their asses and give some basic GUI options. Early beta Win 8 had the option to enable Aero and revert to the start menu style, but it had to be done through the registry so only power users could do that. It didn't take long until they stripped out the entire code for the Start menu.

I'm going to be switching to Win 10 as soon as I'm sure there aren't any serious driver issues. And when I do, I'm going to miss Win 7's style.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Options would be good for sure. I am changing to W10 for sure too. :) But yeah why not give option to both "camps".

That naming scheme is actually good change from 9 because of lazy coders too :D making checks that check for windows 9**

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They could give both options, but it's a waste of resources and it's really best to have everyone on the same page even if it does piss off alot of people, especially as historically we know most will come around eventually.

Leave the old way to third party software, that way it's up to those devs to support it and the main OS can be can be prioritised by MS.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Historically it wasn't such drastic or gratuitous changes and those who were slow to change didn't have very solid reasons. This time MS's "our way or no way" attitude didn't work otherwise they wouldn't be returning the start menu and offering free upgrades FFS. They're clearly desperate to get the large Windows 7 base to change operating systems.

I haven't checked Win 8 adoption rates in a while but last I did it was abysmal considering every new PC/Laptop ships with it, outside of the OEM market it was negligible. I guess I'll check what it is now.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Historically people were not ditching PC's for iPad's and tablets though, when the kids take over it won't take long for people to forget that W7 and older's OS's even existed.

According to Steam, W8.1 is the the largest growing OS when it comes to gaming so i think it's doing pretty well, i've even seen the snobby master race people look down their nose at anyone not using 8.1.

14. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Looks like windows '98