Widescreen/Fullscreen Fix For Older Games?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by kanej2007, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have several classic titles from the 90's and unfortunately some do not run in full screen mode resulting in black bars on the left and right of the screen.

Despite several hours of surfing I wasn't able to find a fix. There were several programs I came across which force widescreen/custom resolution for certain games though not all.

Is there any other way or recommended program which will allow me to run games at a resolution of my choice and perhaps offer widescreen support.

One popular game which had no support what so ever was Death Rally 1996 made by Remedy.

It's such an old game but it never gets old. It would be great running the game at a resolution higher than 1024X768 and perhaps in widescreen.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks Extraordinary, I did actually check the above links.

Unfortunately, the list of supported games is very limited and does not include the title I was after...

Any other program in which I can force full or wide screen for a game?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`ll keep my eyes open, I know you can request games to be added to both of the above on their forums, Id try that, and also those guys might have a better idea on how you can get the rest of them working in widescreen too

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'll give it a shot, cheers.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    From what I can tell, that Death Rally game looks mostly 2D/sprite based/isometric style. Getting games like that beyond their supported resolutions is a chore. Almost always requires extensive modding. It usually involves zooming out the view port to the point where no scaling takes place. Widescreen same thing, just extending the viewport so you see more to the left and right. It can look decent, like on Diablo 2, or it can make things so small it's nearly unplayable like in older C&C games and Fallout 1&2.

EDIT:
    If you make no headway, one idea could be to get your hands on the DOS version of the game if you haven't already. That way at least you can experiment with scaling filters that DOS-BOX has. It can look pretty decent depending on the game.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, I'll look into that. I did actually use dosbox a while back for several dos titles...

Strange though since Death Rally was remade by Remedy to be playable on current hardware giving us picture and sound without issues...

I did notice other people on other forums too moaned about the absence of widescreen/fullcreen support for the game...

Thinking about it, 99% of current monitors/tv's are indeed widscreeen, makes you wonder why Remedy didn't bother offering widescreen support.

This is how the game looks, notice the ugly black borders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JUNKIE

JUNKIE Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI Hybrid
    You might give Wide Screen Gaming a try. They have a pretty large game list over there on games that will work in wide screen.