Win 10 driver update control

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Reddoguk, May 21, 2016.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Today i noticed that Win 10 X64 Home is trying to install an update that i defiantly do not want or need called Logitech Download Assistant.

I have no idea why windows is trying to install this PoS on my system as it's not even a driver.

So after some research i found a little app by MS that gives you back control of which updates should or can be hidden, like you could do with Win 7.

Here is a link to the page with the download on it.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

wushowhide.diagcab. allows users of Win 10 to permanently Hide updates that they don't want and it will stop Win 10 from spamming you with annoying updates you don't want or need.

This way of doing it is the best way i found so you still get important MS updates without the need to turn them off. Which is also not really possible with the Home edition of Win 10.

Just download the tool and keep it stored somewhere so then it's at hand when windows throws these unneeded/unwanted updates out.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Mate i know that is there but if someone else searches for Logitech Download Assistant then they will find my post and be able to remove it without searching through all of the forum.

Well that was the idea anyway. I've read or visited that thread maybe 20 times and to be honest never saw the Hide Updates Tool there or i did see it and just didn't understand what is was.

The description you gave or lack of might be the cause of that because i didn't realize it was a way to bring back options from the older OS's.

Thanks anyway.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think "Hide updates" in the Windows 10 forum is clear enough, if you are looking for a way to hide updates in Windows 10 and see a link for hiding updates in Windows 10, most people would probably click it ;)

Not to mention the exact same link has been posted numerous times since I made that thread, throughout the forum

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well my bad then, i must of thought it was a reg fix or some other tedious method for a fix.

No this is an MS tool purposely made by them to allow users to be able to select a Hide option on unwanted driver/software/updates that you don't need/want and it's a permanent solution like we had on older MS operating systems.

Again sorry and thanks anyway.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, it became very well known at the release of 10 once we realised we couldn't hide individual updates, and forced drivers were coming through borked, have it saved in my bookmarks I was linking so many people to it back then

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What I found is the Logitech Download Assistant comes with newer LG versions.
    I had it on Win7 before doing win10 upgrade.

What I did is just uncheck it in autoruns (login) , seem to work fine.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah this appeared recently, I think last month.. had to use this hide tool as well.

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    For some reason just about any M$ link won't open in Chrome it always complains about too many redirects.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As of the new insider builds there's a policy for stopping driver updates from downloading, there's also policies for more thoroughly controlling the new update behavior with active hours or even disable it entirely.

Why something that useful is hidden in the group policies and not made part of the Win 10 settings app and it's update page directly I don't know, seems like a stupid decision to me.
    (And I'm not sure editing policies like this works on all Win 10 editions either making it even more restrictive.)