ATI for raw power and separate Nvidia to handle physx

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Dark-Union, May 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dark-Union

Dark-Union Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 570 x2 SLI
    Hello dear forum members :)

Right now I have two 570 in SLI, but only recently found out that VRAM doesn't adds up :bang:
    Feel that it's struggling sometimes in games like metro 2033. I understand all politics and conspiracies about physx and ATI, so just have to live in real world and adopt.
    But I have a master plan :banana:

I still have old two GTX 460 for sale and was thinking : why could not sell one GTX 460 and both 570, buy ATI 7970 for raw power and use GTX 460 as dedicated physx card ? :nerd:

To my understanding ATI outperforms in all games when it comes to raw FPS and that's what I'm interested in. But unfortunately present day AAA games have some kind of partnership with Nvidia and you really need physx enabled card to get all benefits.
    Is it too stupid ? Too complicated ? Full of driver issues ?

Was just thinking in terms of raw FPS for the buck and kill Physx bird with same stone :3eyes:

Hope you understand my weird post :stewpid:

2. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    i dont understand why u struggle with 570 Sli system.

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not sure where you heard that, Nv is ahead when it comes to performance at the moment:

680 review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/

670 review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-review/

Back to the topic though, if you want to setup a hybrid system follow the guide here:
    http://www.ng ohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

Remove the space. Good luck with your hybrid system :) Keep in mind it doesn't work with all versions of drivers and PhysX system software.

4. Dark-Union

Dark-Union Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 570 x2 SLI
    I agree with you, it was just a matter of paying more, but then I realised that I made a mistake with prices :-/
    VAT :bang:

Yes it seems that one GTX 680 is a better option when 570 SLI, especialy when it comes to new features, performance and more VRAM than ATI. No doubt.

Then I have another question :

Is there a point of having extra card dedicated for physx ? Something cheap but powerful enought to do the job with physx on its own ?
    In my understanding, if games use physx feature it will inevitably take some resources of prossessing power on the card you use. GTX 680 for example.
    Some cool upcoming title like Planetside 2 seems to be using it to aid in physical simulation of vehicles and other stuff.

Do you understand where I'm coming from ?

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Depends on what you want really, if there's a few games you'd want to play that support GPU PhysX, you can always get a cheap card for it. Or if you have an old card sitting around, there's not much harm sticking it back in :p
    If you want use a cheap card with an AMD setup, anything close to 100+cores should do the trick for the most part like a 620/440 and up.
    If you grab a 680/670 you're probably better off running PhysX off the card instead of using a low end GPU, it could just cripple performance if you're not using anything from a 450 and up in intensive PhysX games.

6. Dark-Union

Dark-Union Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 570 x2 SLI
    Thank you for your time and answers :eyes:

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Nothing wrong with ATi, i have no regrets going from 2 gtx295's (it has much more power then my current card but vram is a problem).

I'm with the others, one 680 would be an awesome upgrade, and lots of vram is a big plus.