Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ElementalDragon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Just have to ask.... how many people here are pretty excited for Nintendo's upcoming console, now known as the Switch?

http://www.nintendo.com/switch#movi...gon@gmail.com&u=2848686&jb=1140#movie

I'm a die-hard Zelda fan... pretty much the main reason I'm getting one at launch. Skipped the Wii U since it didn't really appeal to me, and didn't have it's own Zelda game. But damn.... freakin loving the looks of that thing.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    So the rumor about NVIDIA powering the next Nintendo console turned out to be true.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I find it interesting.

I don't really need a tablet or a console. ...But I could probably convince myself that this is fiscally responsible.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep, looks really cool, hope to get one in march.

5. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Could somebody explain, what am I missing here? It seems that everybody around is hyped as fu*k. All I see here is a tablet with a controller attached to it.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm with you there but I must admit that the idea is really cool.
    You have a stationary console, a portable console and also something portable that you can put on a table :)

7. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Because it's NOT a tablet with a controller attached to it? It's a portable game console.... not a "Ooh, let's open up the Play Store and download Angry Birds" console.

8. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Am pretty hyped about it. Looks really good.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I could imagine someone making skins for it. I mean... it DOES seem like the perfect style for skins.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... It's supposedly a capacitive touchscreen, so that should help a lot.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So then from what I can gather then is the Switch will upscale from 720 to 1080(Maybe even 4k?) when docked.

Makes sense to not show off usage of the touch screen. If this console is going to be both a home and mobile console, when at home and docked you will not get use of the touchscreen. Major games will not use the touch screen such as PC games do not on touch screen computers, more for UI I will say and some games.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    If I had to guess, maybe native 1080p (think they said it'd be a full HD console), and drops the resolution when taken off the dock to conserve battery life.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    as I heard it using Mobile tech and probably wont even be as power full as ps4/one I went eh, I do hope they have 3rd party support though my wait for nintendo being the most powerfull and dominate system again continues

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... Nintendo hasn't been t he most powerful system since like.... MAYBE N64.... if not SNES. As for dominant system... it may never have usually been for the hardcore gamer, but don't think a single person can argue that Nintendo has always been the best platform for gaming with friends at your house.

About the mobile tech.... uuhm.... where did you hear that? It's powered by NVidia. And it has a LOT of nice looking 3rd-party support. Can see a pretty good list on the Nintendo page for the Switch, and in other news articles talking about it. Bethesda, FROM Software, Capcom, Activision, Square Enix, Havok.... They apparently already have over 50 partners supporting it... which is a) quite nice for a system that we personally hardly know anything about as of now, and b) surprising for that list being published DAYS after the console was unveiled.

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-full-third-party-support/

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    That means nothing. Nintendo ALWAYS has great 3rd party support AT LAUNCH. Let's see what it looks like a year after the system is in the wild. The Gamecube looked like it had gotten 3rd party support back, so did the Wii U at first. And we see what happened there. Basing a system that isn't equal to x1/ps4 means more work for developers and making it more challenging to port their games. Doesn't scream support to me.

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... i think the hardest thing when it came to the Wii U in terms of 3rd party support was just the hardware itself. Dev's probably just didn't want to have to deal with working some sort of functionality into the game to make use of the touchscreen, and would have probably looked rather lazy if they did nothing with the touchscreen at all. At least with Switch there is no secondary screen to worry about developing for. And from what I remember reading, Nintendo has already stated that the software running on NX/Switch makes it quite easy for developers to port games from other systems.

Soo..... we'll have to see. All i know is i'm still getting one. Really thought about a PS4 Pro.... but there isn't really any reason at all to get one when i already have a PS4.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yes, but, my main interest is in Mario Kart, F-zero, Smash Bros, Mario Tennis and Mario in general tbh. I don't like the look of the new Zelda.

Also, even if Switch failed, there's still the 3rd party path. I've been playing some Unreal Engine 4 tech demos with Mario etc etc and it looks awesome. Mario would have a home on my PC no doubts about it and my kids love him.