Rivatunner 2.11+ Securom

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by jbignes5, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    Well as you would guess securom doesn't like rivatuner.. Go figure... Sacred 2's DRM will not work with the best Video card utility to date. Is there a chance that you could look at this Unwinder?
    I uninstalled sacred 2 because of not being able to monitor my temps until something gets done about this. lol
    Is it possible that Rivatuner will work with these lame duck companies software that try to invade our normally working computers with thier bad programming and Greed?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Unlikely. I don't have this game, I don't like it and don't plan to purchase it. Also, I'm pretty sure that the "issue" you're having with RT is actually the issue with the server and it can be addressed by creating the profile for this application and disabling hooking for it.

3. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    hmmm

Well i tried it all as long as the program is running, no matter if it is rivatuner or the server as well the program crashes. The only way to get it to work is uninstall rivatuner all together. From the forums of sacred 2 it seems to be securom's drm not liking rivatuner at all.
    I know you are not getting it (sacred 2) but we have to disable rivatuner to run sacred on my girls system, which I don't like at all. I have uninstalled sacred and refuse to run it but my girl likes sacred and if we disable rivatuner it runs. but I thought maybe you should know that securom is now invading our rights to run what we want and crashes the game if it detects it running. FYI....

Thanks,
    jbignes5

4. Unwinder

Sounds a bit unreal for me, sorry. The server interacts with other applications, RivaTuner doesnt. Anyway, I'm not interested in this game and continuing this dialog, sorry.

5. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    It is possible -- SecuROM can be configured to blacklist installed or running programs. Eg. the Spore editor would not start while ProcessExplorer 11 was running.

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    :O? i can run sacred2+rivatuner

altho mine is cracked with securom reg deleter "crack" (which reset the timer and makes you able to play the game with the 1-day tryout) and some dlls to get rid of the lvl cap.

PD: Sacred 2 at least for me, at highest settings (not elite pack) without AA at 1280x1024 is far from being a graphics hog, max at 54ºC, while cod5 max at 64ºC, so you can play without monitor i think =)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. Unwinder

Don't think that properly implemented blacklisting is supposed to result in application crash as he is reporting.

8. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
  9. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    Thanks for the replies everyone. To bad unwinder doesn't care about how game manufacturers are starting to make it so we can't run our utilities. Geeze unwinder I was only trying to inform you that securom won't let the game run while your software is running. I am sorry to have bothered you.

10. Unwinder

Sorry but I already did a mistake once and killed almost one months of working 24/7 non-stop on investigating bug of Punkbuster causing crash due to their incorrect MMIO scanning implementation. It costed me nothing but a lot of lost time, nerves and battles with "fix your RT, it is giving us problems" in different forums. And even no single thanks from Evenbalance side, the critical bug is STILL there and they even didn't bother to document it.
    That was a good lesson and the only conclusion I did from it was: NEVER do a free job for corporations. You're paying them good money for games - ask them to code properly. And I cannnot help you, sorry.

11. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    Sorry.. Like I said.

Dude I was informing you that Rivatuner was running fine but when I got the program sacred 2 and installed it I could not have rivatuner running. Thats all. Secure rom doesn't like or even breaks the game so it doesn't run when your program is running. Unfortunately with the choice like my girlfriend had to do sacred won. And it was removed from her system.
    I was only trying to inform you that there is a problem. What you do with it is your deal.
    And as a side note it sounded like you didn't give a poop. Or was just plain distainful. Like, what have I ever done to you? Except to let you know of this problem.
    Next time I'll just refrain from reporting compatability issue to you at all...

12. Unwinder

Dude, please understand that phrases like "To bad unwinder doesn't care about how game manufacturers are starting to make it so we can't run our utilities." sound like polite attempts to force the situaltion to be solved, even after initial "no" response. I do care about many things, but I physically cannot care about desires of ANY user posting different requests in the forum. I said that I don't plan to not get this game and investigate it, so I'm sorry but please take it as a fact.

13. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    ok now I understand. A game which I paid for is making your free utility useless. When less and less people are using your hard work because SECUROM which is a DRM scheme not a game makes one choose between a very functional utility, Rivatunner, or the game which SECUROM came with which I didn't want makes me choose.
    The only one loosing is you Unwinder. I would suggest you do some investigating before more and more gamers, who probably use your utility the most, uninstall your utility and not use it anymore. Thats not a threat but simple logic. If I go out and pay for a game say 50 dollars vs. your utility and the game runs great by itself but doesn't when your utility is running then I would think that maybe before you get shoved aside by those manufacturers you might want to find out why thier DRM is making us choose between what I honestly think is the best utility since winzip or our game.
    I know it isn't your coding but if we have to choose, then guess what, you will loose. And we will loose. Although drivers have the ability to overclock and monitor temps which is what I like, they tend to be generic and have less control then say your excellent utility.
    Unfortunately me going to the Game makers is a moot point. They don't care because they think it is helping them protect thier product. On the other hand me going to you and asking you to look into this problem is way easier a: because you actually read these forums. b: You might actually care that users of your utility are actually being forced to disable your utility to play the game they paid for.
    I mean from your responses it actually sounds like you don't care if users are being forced to stop using your utility. If thats the case then I think I'll start looking for another utilty. Even though I don't want to. Even though I have used this program for years and years and Love it. Thats why I am trying to get you to understand I am trying to be loyal here to the one person who made video card overclocking and monitoring so easy for all of us.
    Unfortunately DRM isn't gonna go away. In fact it will probably get worse before it gets better. And the current DRM scheme is making me not use your utilty for some reason. Take it as you will but if that was me, I would be angry as all get out.
    The more I read your post, the more I see you just don't care if it affects your utility. Fine, like I said I'll start looking for something that will allow me to do the same without making me shut my game down to use your utility. I just thought you should know that that is what we are gonna have to do. Look elsewhere.
    I'm sorry Unwinder. I tried to be loyal and let you know what was happening but then again it seems you don't care. Thanks for all the years of great programming and helping us understand how to get the most from our hardware. Good luck my friend.

14. Unwinder

That's what I call polite forcing. Is it so hard to get "no" reply? Let's stop it please. I'm not loosing anything because I'm not making a profits from RT, it doesnt' matter if RT is being downloaded by 1K or 10K users daily. It doesn't matter if I isolate a product from whole community like nvnews for example. That's a hobby so please let me decide how to deal with it. Thanks for understanding.
    Also, may I ask who said you that it is exactly DRM issue? Or even Securom one? No need to make such conclusions without understanding the process, this way the rumors get born.
    Please, let me work on 2.20 instead of wasting time for nothing in this thread.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  15. jbignes5

jbignes5 Member

GPU:
    ATI Saphire 4850 modded
    It's not polite forcing. I was merely letting you know how I feel about whats going on. Plain and simple alot of people have grown used to your excelent program and now we are being forced to not use it. Weather you choose to look at the problem is entirely upto you. I was just letting you know what was happening.
    Obviously I was wrong about you. I thought you would be more understanding to your user base. But then again I have been wrong before. And will be wrong in the years to come. But I never thought you would be this way.
    Like I said I'll look into other choices.

Thanks again

16. Unwinder

Ugh... Now we've came to something close to personal insults. Sorry, but the thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.