I dont understand whats up!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by scoter man1, Jan 27, 2009.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hi, I have an overclocked system, I think we all like to overclock but, I'm noticing that im getting this screen mainly the desktop screen with distorted colors and diagonal marks across the screen, its really hard to explain but its like a distorted checker board. My graphics card is normaly not overclocked when I see this and I dont overclock my gpu enough that anything like this would happen. I only have my 9800gtx+ at 800/1990/1350 for normal gameplay. My ram is fine too, im wondering if I have my cpu voltages wrong or something... I'm really confused on what would be causing the problem, because I would expect the gpu to be doing this, but I dont think its the gpu. Help?

2. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    You add any Volts to the SPP, MCP and HT?

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I dont see any added volts for the spp its set at auto and its in green... im guessing that not bad =S. Lol im not too good at cpu o/cing yet! I dont see any settings labled mcp or ht. If either of thoses stand for somethin else let me know... im not too good with akronims.

4. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    SPP is the northbridge; MCP is the southbridge and HTT is the connection from the southbridge to the northbridge.

[​IMG]

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    have u used intelburntest or prime95? dont mess with pci settings and try to leave your ram alone as much as possible.

if its boots and then screen locks-up its most likey that the cpu is ok with the voltage but ram doesnt like being overclocked or u need to check timings/voltage.

usually i find underclocking the ram can help stability i.e lyncing and syncing or in my case a 2a/2d. e.g my 1066nhz ram is at 950 and 2.1v. timings are auto i think but ill check later. a lot of people use 5-5-5-15. check in bios whats happening to your timings and use the manufacturers recommended volts n timings at first.

6. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    it might be sam ram issue either system memmory or more probably the gfx memmory (a memmory chip is overheating and doing issues - its probably a tad faulty already )

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, I believe the only things that I have set on voltages are the cpu core and fsb are set manually because my mobo makes the voltage go way up on auto. I'll try lower the ram overclock. Using prime 95 my computer runs just fine on temps. btw foes, thats for that visual =) never knew that.

8. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Is your 4Gigs of memory 2x2G or 4x1G?..and your welcome :) Nice to visually see what chip controls what functions.

9. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    if your getting artifacts the likelihood of it being anything other than the video card is very small. test your gpu in a different system or test your system with a different gpu. your cpu/nb voltage wont cause artifacting. your psu would be more likely to cause graphic issues but even then it wouldnt cause artifacts. i would track down your reciept and ready yourself for a rma :(

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    well, im getting ready to get a gtx 260 core 216 so... lol yeah and i have 1X4gig... im going to downclock my ram right now and see if that helps... the weird stuff doesnt happen all the often, it happens enough that its anoying though!

11. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    so you have 1x4G memory stick? Do you have this BIOS screen that shows the Volts for the SPP and MCP? Also, you only have the artifacts when your GPU is OC'ed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    sorry 4x1, im having a dyslexic day! my Bios only shows me cpu core, cpu fsb, memory, nforce spp... and I believe thats it. I down clocked my ram 100mhz and It seems to be okay. Also, no my graphics card doesnt have to be o/ced to do this, sometimes when I boot up it just does that, randomly though. I mean im using crappy corsair ram, the stuff thats like 10 bucks for a 2X1 pack. Its stock is 800mhz, I had it at like ~1033, so for crap ram I guess 900mhz is pretty good lol.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  13. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Try adding some Volts to the SPP, just take it up 2 clicks and see if that solves your issue. The SPP may need more volts because it powers the memory slots (see my previous diagram) and in your situation is having to provide power to 4 sticks of memory.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    okay, I'll try that later.... right now im just trying no overclocking and see if anything happens then. This whole pile of crap started after I figured out my mobo over volts too much and then I lowered the voltages and stuff... so, lets see what happens at stock. If I still have issues, then somethin is messed up. This time I wasnt looking at the screen ( I was doing homework ) but I saw the screen go black out of the corner of my eye, normaly it just checkerboards and stays there until I hit the reset button.

edit... wow thats pretty sad at stock speed, the mobo gives the cpu more volts when its at 100%... I could be crazy but, I think its supposed to go down...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  15. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Do you have CPU volts set to AUTO in BIOS? Im fighting the vdroop and vdrop on my board. Have 1.4625 set in bios, HWmonitor reads 1.43 and running Prim95 drops to 1.41

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    yeah, I got it on auto voltage... I'll clock it back upto 3ghz over the weekend and mess with it... I just dont have time right now =)