Sony Bravia HDTV color issue (as gaming monitor)

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by MToguro, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    I'm using a Sony Bravia 32" HDTV (KDL-32XBR9) as a monitor. System specs are same as listed.

Now my problem is if I'm not running at the monitor's native resolution of 1920x1080, which is what I'm using on the desktop, then the colors are completely off. Off to the point where calibration would be ridiculous.

So when I'm gaming, unless my gaming resolution matches my desktop, the colors will be off in the same manner. Which pretty much means I have to play every game at a 1920x res. Not so bad, but some games I'd rather be able to switch resolutions...

There's a fix around it though that I've found, but it's quite annoying.

Whatever I change my desktop resolution to besides 1920, the colors will be off. I can fix this though and make the colors perfect by adding and deleting a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel (somehow the screen flicker it does when doing this fixes the color perfectly).

So if I wanted to play a game at 800x600, I'd have to first set my desktop res to that, to the custom res thing to make it normal, and then at 800x600 res the game wud have perfect colors.

So it's a workable fix but is there any way around this? Constantly changing my desktop res to match my gaming res is SO annoying

2. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
  3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    When using HDMI, the Nvidia control panel use your TV's EDID chip to detect what are its common resolutions and labels them as TV resolutions.

If your trying to use a PC resolution (800x600 or 1024x768), then your going out of bounds of the TV's EDID chip and the TV will disable all of the features other than your basic color and contrast settings. It does this because its detecting a PC and since display adapters come with software that drive picture settings from it own software, the TV disable its features to speed up response and not mix its picture settings with the PC settings to cause too rich of a picture.

Your options are to either play at in between resolutions like 800x600 and lose your TV's picture settings or use 640x480p or 1280x720p and use your TV's Aspect Ratio features to fit the picture correctly or make it more readable. It's recommended if you dont want to lose your TV's calibration settings.

I see you have a 8800 GTX which is becoming dated, so I might understand why you cant ALWAYS use your native resolution.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 660 OC FrzIII
    I have a SONY KDL-40EX523 TV, have no problems with colors or resolutions, You have set the Sony set up correctly.

TV Options:Game Mode w/ Color input as "Original", Display Area->Full Pixel, Auto Wide->Off, Auto Display Area->Off

Nvidia:Under scaling options Make the Sony use Aspect Ratio, and now any Res should work fine.

I believe the problem lies within the 8800 series, Just tried my old 8800 couldn't scale HD tv correctly at all. If that is what you are using. A newer card would be better for using a HDTV as a monitor.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012