Refresh Rate and Games

Discussion in 'Links' started by s3R!4LK!LL3r, May 22, 2003.

1. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

I have notice that new games wont open if you have any software for refresh rate runnin its rate fix installed.
    Thanks to Sypross, he showed me the how to fix that on BF1942, but later on had a problem almost like the same as BF1942 in Enter The Matrix Game. Some error sayin.. DEVICE CANT CREAT "something..".
    So the future solution for this one and new comers games is not to use RivaTuner's or anyother tweakersoftware to fix Win2k/XP refresh rate problems. Unistall the refresh fix and only use Refresh Overide that comes with your Detonator Driver, cause they work and don't crash.

[edit] 1 : BF1942 by Syprosss
    First install the latest patch from www.battlefield1942.com

Once done, Go to: My computer, then C drive, then Program Files, EA GAMES, Battlefield 1942, then the Mods\bf1942 folder then the Settings folder. In that folder you will see a file called VideoDefault.con. You will want to double click this file to open it. If it asks you what Program to use (in Windows XP you will first want to choose "Display a list of programs for me to choose from), choose WordPad. In there you will see a line with this command:
    renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and then Save the file. This will allow refresh rates above 60 Hz in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2003
  2. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    You're right.I'm using the Refresh Overide of the Detonator since it was first released and i have no problem with refresh rates.
    Matrix runs fine with the nvidia's overide utility(i run this game at 1024x768@85Hz).The problem with this game is that the camera angle is changing all the time when fighting and you dont know whats going on

Last edited: May 23, 2003
  3. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    Download this patch for Matrix but it doesnt fix the refresh rate problem:
    http://www.ina-support.com/faq/enterthematrixdownloads_pc.asp

You mean this error??:
    “I receive a ‘Device not created 2’ error message.”
    This error occurs when you are forcing a refresh rate using a 3rd-party program, including utility software provided by your video card manufacturer. Disable all 3rd-party applications before running the game.

4. jeffro87

jeffro87 Member Guru

GPU:
    ati 4670
    YES!!, I always thought the refresh rate programs ,caused more probs than they were worth,but i didnt want to go on the blame game trip! thanks for the sticky.

5. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

But remenber one thing, The refresh overide on detonators drivers will only be aplied to full screen movies undergames and D3D based games, so, just came into my mind something to try out, as I love Counter-Strike and cant take it with 60Hrz cause it delays the mouse movement and flikering 60Hz piss me off, You can try use Rivatuner refresh fix and after it reboot to update the the RateFix, now you can go to Refresh Overide and install them too again.
    So my idea is to Fresh Fix made by Rivatuner only for OpenGL and Refresh Overide from your Detonator drivers to work on D3D only.

I will post whatever I get here... I advise you to use Enter the Matrix and Counter-Strike to see if it works with no crash when opening Matrix and if refresh fix is workin under OpenGL at the same time too.

[edit] 1: Test result
    Nope, it didnt work either. I think that you want to play Counter-Strike with no flikerings you change it Direct3D.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2003
  6. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    Spyrosss not Sypross if you like.....its from the name Spyros(greek=ÓÐÕÑÏÓ) but someone else was registered as "Spyros" so i added two ""s""

7. sikb0y

sikb0y Guest

Try Nvidia Refresh Rate Fix under Downloads/Videocard Utilities/Generic Tools, I use this fix on Win2k and Counter Strike runs @ 100 fps with no mouse acceleration, and most of my D3D games work fine.

8. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

Just read what I wrote.
    About CS thingy, 60Hz wont hold anybody's fps when your Vsync OFF ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2003
  9. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    Serious Sam Engine Refresh Rate

I think that the best way to change the refresh rate in an openGL game is to alter a configuration file of the game(if this file exists)

e.g. in Serious Sam:Second Encouner go to
    C:\Program Files\Croteam\Serious Sam - The Second Encounter\Scripts\Game_startup.ini edit with wordpad
    and add this line

gap_iRefreshRate=85;

if you want your refresh rate to be 85Hz or change the value (85) to 60,72,75,85,90,100 or 120

If you want your FPS to show on screen add the line
    hud_iStats = 1;

10. ***CENSORED***

***CENSORED*** Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 4 Ti 4200
    howsabout quake 3 engine probs.

11. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    Quake Engine Refresh Rate

You can set your refresh rate manually in Quake 3 with the "r_displayrefresh" command, but be sure to know your monitor's maximum refresh rates before you adjust anything.
    e.g. r_displayRefresh 85

You can add this line to the autoexec.cfg or q3config.cfg (i don't remeber because i dont have the game installed anymore) file which is usually located at C\Program Files\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3 and if you play RA3, in the arena directory too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  12. ***CENSORED***

***CENSORED*** Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 4 Ti 4200
    i'm talkin bout any game that uses that engine

13. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Yeah, I have a problem with bf1942 as do many others where the game loads and then returns shuts off back to desktop making the error noise with no text error. weird, think its because my video card is outdated

14. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    Look at the first post in this thread

15. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    ATi Card fix

For ATi cards...

Get into the advanced settings in your graphics cards display properties. Click on the tab with the red 'ATi ' logo and Displays written on it. Then click on the word monitor - this should open up a new form with your monitor properties on it. I found that by making the refreshrate override value the same numerical value as my desktop (as in 85Hz not "Same As Desktop" option) all my games no longer had the problem of returning to 60Hz refresh rate.

I think this also works when you change resolutions for your games as my desktop is at 1280*1024, but I play my games at 1024*768 - and there is no longer any problems.

The 3.7 drivers removed this and some other functionality that the 3.6s had so I am glad that they brought back.

Hope that helps.

16. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I'm certainly not complaining, but I have NO 60hz refresh rate problem with my new pc. I mean I need no utility or tool to force games to play in 75,80 whatever? I just set the ref rate in display properties and done.
    But Why??? I'd love to know. Is it because I have a more recent version of XP? It's not just a Nvidia issue is it?

17. Cosmos

Cosmos Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 770 4GB
    I hate to play in anything lower than 60hz.
    All my college's computers are 60hz on default.... argh!
    Its too bad for the eyes and gives me headaches, 75hz is good for me. :)

18. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    I too do not have a 60hz problem. Its probably because most people don't install a set of drivers for their MONITOR.

I always set my frequency in the monitor tab and no problems.

Unfortunately my monitor only goes to 60hz @ 1600-1200.

19. Marine2001

Marine2001 Guest

Well I actually use ATI RefreshFix 0.9.9.7 from "http://www.radeon2.ru/refreshfix_eng.html" and it works just fine...

For Nvidia Users i can recommend NVRefreshTool from "www.nvrt.com"
    It also worked fine with my last gfx...

20. disfigured_LmKi

disfigured_LmKi Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT on 26" Sammy
    Questions:

My monitor supports refresh rates up to 100mghz. Yes with the "hide unsupported refresh rates" boxed checked.

Right now everything seems fine @ 60mghz. Everything I've read about my monitor has said to leave it be.

I play BF 1942 , and the new refresh rates show up, in the resolution menu. Up to 100mghz.

What's the advantage if any of me "bumping" my refresh rate up in the BF menu?

If I make the change to the command line will it give me even higher refresh rates? And would any of these be advantagous?