Audigy 2 ZS Driver Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Links' started by Mod Enerjen, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    Audigy 2 ZS Driver Installation Guide

I have always felt that installing the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS drivers were the most tedious and confusing part of reinstalling Windows. Creative supports their drivers very little, and they probably will not plan to simplify or integrate the driver installation process. Thus I would like to provide one method I use in order to simplify installing the latest drivers yet be able to obtain all of the functionality.

I am going to divide this guide into two parts. The first is on finding the right updates and the second is on how to install them. Finding the right drivers in the first place (if you want the latest) is a byzantine and rather relatively difficult task. The first part is universal for all Audigy 2 ZS cards and applies for everyone. The second part is subject to question. By no means this is the "right way" to install the drivers. However, I have found that it is the most logical way to install them. If you have other (and better) methods of installing the drivers, please add this to this thread.

One advantage of using this method, for example, is that you get the new-looking silver MediaSource Go! skin. MediaSource Go is just that toolbox/loader appears on the top of your screen. Also you get nonredundancy of driver install. I want to stress nonredundancy (for Creative drivers especially) because doing a normal install, by installing your CD drivers doing and then installing the online updates, installs your drivers in such a strange order that by the time you are finished patching, God knows what version you've replaced and cross-overwritten, and you don't know whether if you've just installed an older version over a newer one (e.g. DTS Neo 6 Functionality)

Although I have a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, this nonetheless applies to all Audigy 2 ZS cards. Creative has stopped supporting and hosting drivers for regular Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS cards and thus makes it all the more important that one gets the right drivers if you're aiming for the features and updates of the latest drivers.

So those of you that own a Audigy 2 ZS or and Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, go here and nab those drivers for the Platinum Pro, all of them are them are the same regardless of what specific soundcard you have, except those that are Platinum Pro only.

Part 1: Downloading the right drivers

First, go to the Creative site and get the latest drivers.
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/
    (Goto Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro section since there is no Audigy 2 ZS section)

The files you need are:

Driver Files:
    SBAX_WEBUP_LB_2_08_0004 (Driver)
    SBA2_WEBUP_EAXC_031230 (EAX Console Update)
    SBA2_WEBUP_THXCON_1_00_16 (THX Console Update)
    SBA2_WEBUP_DTSCON_1_00_06 (DTS Neo 6 Update)

Not sure if the DTS is necessary since I think it is included in the latest EAX/MediaSource update, but Creative puts it on the download page and has never bothered to remove it unlike some other older drivers that were later incorporated.

MediaSource Files:
    CMS_PCAPP_LB_3_30_21 (MediaSource)
    CMS_GO_PCAPP_LB_3_10_15 (MediaSource Go)
    DVDA_PCApp_LB_2_00_75 (DVD Update)
    CMS_BURNER_PCAPP_LB_3_10_18 (Burner Plugin)
    CMS_MDC_PCAPP_LB_1_00_58 (MD Plugin)
    CMS_RMT_PCAPP_LB_2_30_02 (Remote Control, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and Plat Pro only)

That's a lot isn't it, for the latest drivers? :p That's why Creative is so notorious for their irresponsibility as a monopoly.

Part 2: Installation Order

Instead of installing the driver in the Audigy 2 ZS Driver CD first and then later overwrite the older one why not install it first.

1) SBAX_WEBUP_LB_2_08_0004

Then install the driver software utilities on the Audigy 2 ZS CD. When you run the autorun setup on the CD and get to the menu where you can put a check on either driver or MediaSource, indicate that you want to install the drivers only. You can change what is installed later at the custom menu.

When you get there,

Don't install:
    -Driver
    -Product Tour
    -Remote Control
    -MD Plugin
    -Burner Plugin

Now install the latest version of MediaSource

MediaSource:
    2) CMS_PCAPP_LB_3_30_21
    3) CMS_GO_PCAPP_LB_3_10_15

Don't install the Mediasource skins if you don't want them. Once Mediasource is installed, you can install more driver control components that is part of Mediasource.

Drivers:
    4) SBA2_WEBUP_EAXC_031230
    5) SBA2_WEBUP_THXCON_1_00_16
    6) SBA2_WEBUP_DTSCON_1_00_06

Cleaning Up

Now you are technically done at this point! If you want additional functionality of your soundcard you can download these optional plugins:

MediaSource:
    7) DVDA_PCApp_LB_2_00_75
    8) CMS_BURNER_PCAPP_LB_3_10_18
    9) CMS_MDC_PCAPP_LB_1_00_58
    10) CMS_RMT_PCAPP_LB_2_30_02

On a last note, delete those annoying AOL icons on your desktop, start menu, favorites, and links. You may delete the folders AOD, ProdCat, Product Registration in your Creative folder in your Program Files. Also, disable the useless registration startup service called "UpdReg" that takes up system resources. Go to the Statup tab of msconfig and disable it there. Then go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and delete that key.

Finally, adjust your settings to your preference, and enjoy! :cheers: :D You can install Vienna SoundFont Studio 2.4 if you want to.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Great guide perhaps people could add installation instructions for different cards and we can compile and sticky all the information.

3. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    This is great, I've renamed the thread name. Anyone with other soundcards, X-Fi, M-Audio, Turtle Beach, Auzentech, or E-mu, add your threads in! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think a Mod might need to do that, when you try to edit it does it allow changing of the title text?

5. Nave

Nave Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS EE 256MB @ 500/1400
    Can this be stickied please?You did a very nice job!

6. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Nice Guide...
    I did come across an issue that had me looking at Norton AV recently...
    If you run into Norton AV not enabling on Startup then uninstall and reinstall the Creative drivers according to the guide in this thread... apparrently Norton does not always play nice with Audigy cards/drivers.

Here is the Norton error that finally showed after weeks of issues: http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2004100114163006?OpenDocument&seg=hho&src=_mi&product=NAV&version=11.0&language=english&module=4002&error=517&build=STANDARD

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  7. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    Thank you very much for a much needed thread, especially becasue I just barely finsihed a clean install of WinXP! I have alway struggled a bit with the install process of drivers/software on my Audigy 2ZS sound card! I never knew what order to install everything and just like you desribed I used to install driver/software from installtion CD and then download and install the updated versions of drivers/software. This is exactly the information I was and have been looking for, thank you very much Mod Enerjen, keep up the good work!

8. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Thanks for the guide! Especially since they never specify what drivers you need, and the installation disk is useless for the most part.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Biggest problem I face when installing the 2 ZS drivers/apps is the constant pop-ups saying file not found and to go to the Windows XP CD/I386 folder or Creative CD to dig them out. And not all of them get copied, so I have to redo the install.

A way around this is to gather these files from your Creative Drivers CD (the Audio\Drivers folder) and extract the rest from your XP CD beforehand and put them into the Windows/Temp folder. The files should be placed according to this folder structure:

C:\Windows\Temp\CTZAPXX\Drivers\WDM\I386

Files are (and must all be placed in the I386 folder):

1394bus.sys
    ctac32k.sys
    ctaud2k.sys
    ctdvda2k.sys
    CTGAME.SYS
    ctoss2k.sys
    CTOSS9X.SYS
    ctprxy2k.sys
    ctsfm2k.sys
    drmk.sys
    emupia2k.sys
    enum1394.sys
    gameenum.sys
    ha10kx2k.sys
    haP16v2k.sys
    I263_32.drv
    ksuser.dll
    ohci1394.sys
    PfModNT.sys
    portcls.sys
    stream.sys
    wdmaud.drv

Total number of files = 22

These are the problem files which I get a pop-up saying they're not found, but when I place them as described above, the installation goes smoothly and uninterupted. Hope this may be of help.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I never had my Audigy 2 asking for windows files...that's different

11. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    I haven't either had my Audigy 2 aking for windows files, but it's good to know where the driver files are actually being installed.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    LOL, it appears its only me having this problem. But I've faced this issue every time doing the 2 ZS driver install. I wonder if its due to my deleting the Driver Cache and SP2 backup folders after a WIndows install thats causing it to ask for the XP CD, hmm.

13. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX/GF 7900 GS (500/1.6)/256
    hey can any1 tell me where i can get the complete drivers for my sound card as i have installed it from the creative site but my external unit is not working i got a Audigy 2 Platinum....

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well all you get from the Creative site is the Base sound card driver. YOu don't get any of the App or panels. A few guys in here know where the ISO's are kept. I am not sure.

15. charbar777

charbar777 New Member

figured it out. my negligence.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006

16. tarun

tarun New Member

Please help M-Audio sound card

Dear friends can you kindly suggest what other hardware and software do i require to create my personal recording studio.... thank u

17. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    this post would not be appropriate here.. mods please edit it as needed. Otherwise, I am soon making a sticky on how to use a regular high end soundcard and use it in a recordinng studio, because so many people actually have access to the music industry now but don't realize it.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Does Audigy 2 ZS Work with Vista Beta 2? I just want to know before I buy it.

19. silky19kilo

silky19kilo Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT 512 Mb
    im having a strange issue with my audigy 2 zs plat. when i first bought the card and installed it worked fine, then i reinstalled win xp on a new HDD and now when i try to install the drivers from the disk it tells me that the hardware is not found. its shady because its the same disk that came with my card and it worked the first time. this happened about a year ago. ive been using the driver from their website and everything works fine, but i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

20. dbunder

dbunder Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT
    Is this just for the ZS or other Audigy 2 cards? I believe mine is just a vanilla Audigy 2. I didn't buy it, got it from a friend, so I don't know exactly what it is.