Alternative to GSYNC-setting "VSync on + 142fps framelimit". What do you think?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vindor, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Open Nvidia control panel, set "Vertical sync" in Global Settings to "On", Apply and close control panel. Then start nvidiaProfileInspector, set "Vertical Sync Tear Control" to "Adaptive", Apply changes and quit.
    If you now start Nvidia control panel again, you see at "Vertical sync" in Global Settings: "Adaptive".

I didnt really tested it deeply and maybe it is only a personal impression and factual a nonsense, but for me, this setting has a very good (=low) input lag in Rainbow 6 Siege without using a framelimiter (R6S sometimes blocks RTSS).

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why not just set adaptive vsync in NV CPL without launching Inspector?

Also, adaptive vsync is just regular vsync if you're running at the refresh rate. If you have gsync display and gsync is on its behavior should be the same as just forcing regular vsync.

3. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Set "Adaptive" in CPL is not possible without nvidiaProfileInspector, and i notice a different lag between "On" and "Adaptive" set in CPL.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Vsync ON does not have any lag when within gsync range.

You are seeing a placebo affect

5. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Means, when Rainbow 6 runs between 70-120fps@144hz for example, there is no possibility to reduce lag, cause it already is on a minimum?

6. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    You could also use fast sync (which unless you hit double your refresh rate, will act as a frame limiter) or use inspector 2.1.3.6's v1 frame limiter

Force on + adaptive tear control in Inspector is the same as Adaptive Vsync in NVCP.

That's what Adaptive Vsync is. Driver controlled Vsync forced on at refresh rate and turned off adaptively below refresh rate.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I second fast sync too

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    G-sync and vsync are incompatible. G-sync is a replacement for vsync. Adaptive vsync disables vsync when the frame rate falls below the refresh rate. G-sync does that anyway on its own.

That means adaptive vsync makes no sense with g-sync.

9. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    I think OP is confused or a bit ignorant or just trolling..

whole post doesn't make any sense.

There is no specific alternative to Gsync -but freesync- ,
    other choices yes but not alternatives..

10. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    i mean an alternative to the setting recommended by blurbusters .com (GSync ON, VSync ON + a framelimiter), not an alternative to GSync in general.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Didn't give it any thought since it's a nonsensical combination:

• Adaptive vsync disables vsync when FPS becomes lower than refresh rate.
    • Using a frame limiter means your FPS becomes lower than refresh rate.
    Conclusion: adaptive vsync + frame limiter + g-sync should be equivalent to vsync off + frame limiter + g-sync.

One way to test this is use a game that is known to have a frame limiter with unstable frame times and thus introduce tearing with g-sync on + vsync off. One such game is CS:GO. If (and only if) you get tearing with g-sync on + vsync off + fps_max 142, and you still get tearing with g-sync on + adaptive vsync + fps_max 142, then that's a strong indication that indeed adaptive vsync is equivalent to vsync off when used with g-sync + frame capping.

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    OP is not using a frame limiter. The reason they are saying this is for alternative to when frame limiter is not possible due to game issues.

To the OP, there are other frame limiting methods to try for your situation before you rely on Adaptive Vsync as the method to use if RTSS is not.

13. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Correct, Mda400 - and sorry for the confusion. If i test "Adaptive" in NV CPL via nvidiaProfileInspector, i use no framelimiter. I use it when i test VSync "On" in NV CPL. And I notice less lag with "Adaptive", then with "On" (both without framelimiter), but it seems that the blurbuster recommendation (GSync ON, VSync ON + a framelimiter) is the best setting.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure it's possible.

[​IMG]

This is exactly why you see these settings in NVCPL when you change them in NV Inspector.

15. Vindor

Vindor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I also tried to set it. Only works, if i disable GSync. If GSync is enabled, not possible, except via nvidiaProfileInspector.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You don't seem to have a g-sync monitor (given the lack of a "preferred refresh rate" option in your screenshot.) With a g-sync monitor and g-sync enabled, both of the "Adaptive" options do not exist in that menu.

17. {WOR}lock

{WOR}lock Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3090
    My suggestion would be to use G-Sync + Fast-Sync in titles that don't have any issues with Fast-Sync as the preferred option, followed by G-Sync + V-Sync using a framelimiter 2- 3 fps under your maximum refresh rate (In Engine if possible or via RTSS) as the second option. Both methods will get you low input lag though the Fast-Sync method seems slightly faster by my testing and a lot easier to setup as well.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ah, ok, that makes sense, especially as these options will do nothing on a gsync monitor with gsync enabled.

This will basically ensure that vsync will never kick in so why even mention it?

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Or...what about ONE global setting which you set & forget. I can't believe that all this hassle with limiters and whatnot has to be necessary. If you pay extra for a product (G-sync) you would expect it to work flawlessly without having to set per-game settings or watch a game stutter that shouldn't?

20. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Some games do not work with settings others do. Sure, you can set global options, but other games might not work correctly and need per-game settings instead.

It's best to let the application decide for most things and then to set a per-game profile if something is missing or corrupted. If a dev codes their game well, shouldn't have to override anything in the control panel.

The only thing I change in the nvidia control panel for graphics is forcing PhysX to my graphics card and maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 (globally, only changing on a per-game basis if the game is CPU-bound).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017