Is it just me or has nVidia slowed down a bit ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hammie, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I remember a time where nVidia would put out a product in spring and also in fall. The 1080 series has been out for almost 2 years no ? Or am I wrong. Just feel like its been a year and a half with no cards except a 1080 Ti .

thanks

:)

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hammie
    You know the answer yourself, due to lack of competition. AMD just added Vega, and as we all know in its current state (unless down the road AMD's fine wine style will improve the drivers to some new extents) Vega 64 will at best be in the middle of 1080 and 1080Ti. Due to that Nvidia doesn't feel threatened. They have a good solid card, that works well on the current generation of games, is stable and most importantly for them - Sells well.

Volta can be released, however, as of right now there is no need to do that. They rather polish the technology, improve Volta to the point where it can be manufactured for less, and as a result cost less which will fall into the line of previous Nvidia card pricing.

I won't be surprised if in next several months we will see Nvidia drivers that will further improve the performance.

Personally, I don't mind, upgrading a 1000 euro GPU every year is quite pricey for a country I live in.

sverek likes this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, the 1080 was released on May 27th 2016 :) So that's not exactly 2 years ago. The 1080Ti was released in March this year.

Rumors said that Volta would release later this fall to compete with Vega but since Vega is hardly any better than 1080 nVidia can wait, profit on current cards and wait with Volta until next year. I also hope that they make us customers a favor by keeping about the same price strategy or maybe even cut the prices a bit - 800€ for a flagship card is quite a lot of money.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    nVidia has no real competition, there is no need to compete with themselves, also they participating in other markets as well.

I still rocking 980TI and it's aging so well, the only really good maxwell card in my opinion.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't buy the competition reason. AMD hasn't really provided nVidia with any competition for almost a decade now.

I see 3 reasons.

1.) First and foremost. Games. When you have under-powered consoles and over-powered gpu's, with no exclusive software that takes full advantage of your gpu, why would you want to upgrade? What games can people not play maxed out right now? In the old days, we all had a list of games to be played "when a better gpu comes out". Unless you're doing 4k with some insane amount of supersampling AA, the hardware already out is overkill for the software being released.

2.) nVidia has been focusing on other markets. They have expanded out of the gpu segment and started doing things with automobiles, streaming, etc.

3.) Thanks to bit coin mining, they'd be idiots to bring out a new, expensive line of gpu's to need to gain profits from right now when their older, cheaper, already out and in production hardware is selling in droves thanks to miners.

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They're hitting process limitations which makes it harder to produce huge strides in performance chips without having huge expensive monolithic GPU's that cost roughly $16,000. After Volta we'll be seeing MCM cards.

All in all I'd say they're doing a good job of not slowing down, especially after seeing what Vega turned out to be.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And with MCM around the corner, finally the term huge monolithic die makes sense.

Ever since G80/8800 Nvidia has been accused of sporting "huge monolithic dies"
    I never understood wtf was meant by that, especially monolithic part. As if anyone else had been producing multidies

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Rumor is Volta is too expensive for consumer market right now? Also, there's no game that require more power that what's available atm.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    At 4k there is.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Erm not sure I believe one in five is running 768p...that doesn't even make much sense. 4K is probably running around ~5%...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well nvidia is pretty much in the best position they've ever been right now. If they wanted, they could dish out consumer Volta tomorrow, but it would bring them little benefit. And to be honest, to me and other 1080Ti owners, it feels good to have the king of the hill for a while longer (not counting the Titan Xp). :rolleyes:

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Steam h/w stats is filled with results from people's notebooks. There are plenty of notebooks with 768p res.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not only that but a big percentage of steam users use integrated graphics. For Gurus here, Steam not a useful source for HW info as vast majority are far from enthusiast grade. 4k is gaining ground, and when Volta arrives it should create even more of a demand.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Notebooks man :) You wouldn't believe how many are playing on integrated graphics and stuff like that. Not many have shiny 1080Tis like we do ;)

16. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Great responses guys. Now I am clear on whats going on. If your already beating AMD, why release another card; they must counteract now what AMD comes with soon. thx

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I remember these same discussions when it was the 8800 Ultra and GX2?

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still waiting on 11xx series, so ican maybe buy new card

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's stopping you from buying a new card right now and why would 11xx series be any better?

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i want a xx60 card that does more then 60 fps in witcher 3, honestly there is many reason why i have not got new card yet, 1 being i will lose DVI-I connection and be forced to use HDMI to HDTV which mean which means i have start playing the disconnect this disconnect that game on my tv which dont want to do which would mean if i dont want to do that I might as well get new AV-Receiver that supports HDMI, which leads me down the path of spend more money

OCD it part of it too that and i wont pay more then 300 for gpu

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017