Windows 10 CU alt+tab freeze

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by klepp0906, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Have you tried the new insider build? My new desktop replacement laptop came preinstalled with Win10 CU, unfortunately, and I'm seeing games that have never had a single problem on an inferior Win7 system (Dota, Smite, DAI, Dying Light) skip every once in a while. The Insider build makes no difference for me, curious to know if it would for you and if the issues are somehow connected.

2. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    you know im actually dead in the middle of a reformat repair (for lack of a better phrase) as we speak due to updating to an insider build.

I have a few vpns and a few virtual adapters due to vm's as well as teamed nics and the insider build apparently didnt care for that and literally annihilated 80% of it to such a degree that no amount of digging I was able to accomplish could get it back on track.

I keep seeing alt tab issues for games being addressed in the "fixes" section of the fast track builds and keep getting my hopes up but ultimately its not worth the trouble of upgrading.

(a clean install of an insider build "may" be a different story)

either way with redstone 3 a few months away at best (ill very likely be stuck doing a full format again at that point) I'm just gonna wait it out.

I hadnt gotten around to posting back as im not only embarassed to say so, but i might be a bit premature as well. I changed it to windows 8 compatabilty mode and havent had a freeze yet.

Now its only been 1 day so I dont want to get my hopes up but usually its guaranteed to happen within the first half hour. Usually within the first 10 minutes. I'm either REALLY lucky thus far, or as ashamed as I am to say, I didnt try that sooner.

of course its just a hack of a fix - who knows at what cost. For now i'll take it as the games i play that dont crash will benefit from the new drivers while the ones that potentially wont (due to being ran in compat mode) will at least not crash/force me to play borderless.

I guess I was too busy assuming it was tied to voltages, or full screen optimization mode, or power saving tech(s), that I never simply tried the compatability mode for win8. OR, like i said im just really lucky.

either way, MS is being a bit ambitious i think and letting a lot through the cracks.

that and the way nvidia treats SLI and surround users you'd think theyre probably hating themselves for creating the tech over a decade ago due to all the problems they cant or dont care to iron out.

I'd be lying if i said i wasnt a little jealous of the people who can play borderless with a single card at a reasonable resolution and have literally 0 issues.

constantly teetering on the edge of the "cool" factor not being worth the constant hassle in one way or another.

anyhow, im carrying on.

3. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yea turns out it was just luck. i give up.

4. Yeah I just tried Win8 compatibility mode and still had skipping. I'm thinking of wiping the SSD and installing Win7, because it won't let me dualboot either for some reason.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    trying out these modded quadro drivers. not holding my breath ><

6. I've done so many tests and reinstalls already it'd be impossible to list them all. I'm gonna give the 378 series a try. The laptop came with 382.05 from May preinstalled. I've tried all newer drivers since then. Hopefully this is indeed related to the new WDDM.
    Another question, do you run your games off your main drive or a secondary one?

7. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    main drive. 378 drivers are good. perfect actually. the 38x just brought quite a performance jump on CU due to the new wddm and whatever gaming tweaks ms baked in at that point.

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    no bueno on 385 drivers as well.

wonder if i should just start playing ffxiv windowed on low settings i guess. its not high on their priority list and most of the time i can avoid alt tabbing with display fusion. Unfortunately doesnt work for ffxiv for whatever reason.

other option is staying on 378 i just cant bring myself to do it anymore. ugh.