Maxtreme slower than D3D?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by bongoboy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bongoboy

bongoboy New Member

Hello,
    First of all I have to thank all the people who participate on developing rivatuner and know how about graphics card modding.
    I use rivatuner since i softmodded my old t4200/128mb to a quadro 780**l (years ago) with an amazing performance gain under 3D Studio Max with maxtreme.

After doing the the softmod with my geforce 6800gt (Asus A8V Deluxe/AMD A64 3500/2GB ram) I didnt notice very big differences between D3D.
    So I decided to hardmod my little honey (soldering resistors/dell bios).

Im not sure if Specview Perfect (8.1) makes any usage of Maxtreme, but here my scores for 3ds max:

Geforce 6800gt: ca 16
    Quadro fx 4000 (soft): ca 27
    Quadro fx 4000 (hard): ca 32
    (sry for not presenting the results in a more scientific way, and maybe the scrores might slightly differ due to different driver versions :frown: )

Hokay here my questions:
    1. Are there any other users who noticed reduced performance of maxtreme in compare to D3D (and maybe got rid of it)?
    2. How is it possible to get spec scores (for 3ds max) at about 50?

Edit:
    I now noticed that D3D under 3ds max has an option to use cached D3DXmeshes, which increases the speed dramatically (on default activated), which maxtreme doesnt have.
    So is nvidia developing an application driver (maxtreme is an opengl modification afaik) that is slower than the standard D3D solution, just to make 3ds max users buy cards of their professional line?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005