Zelda Twilight Princess HD

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 8, 2016.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well basicly the same is happening to me when windwaker was released, didnt want to get it , but then i saw the videos and my heart starts pounding!
    Enhanced lighting and shadows, better textures, reflection models, new character models 1080p , Hard mode , oh boy :D :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...s-on-wii-u-is-even-better-than-we-remember-it

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/109...ht-princess-hd-wii-u-city-in-the-sky-gameplay

I already own the GC version, WII version also played through on pc through emulator a few times, but this one is gonna top it easily.

So anyone else getting it.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I guess I will, not thrilled about the price, but would be nice to play through this again without waggle controls

Hated that until now the only widescreen version had stupid controls

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Seems more like a cash grab. It doesn't even look like they put that much effort into the HD version.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I didn't know there were Wii emulators.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Boy you have missed out on a lot. :D

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I simply preordered this one :D

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Whenever they are finished though...Both Tomoya's and the Realistic 4k are community made, so no time frame can be guaranteed when they will be finished.

What I will say about the HD remake, the hard mode looks fun but it is basically the Wii version with a gamepad and the 3 heart challenge.

The cave of shadows looks cool though. Basically it's the Cave of Ordeals but you can only use Wolf Link in it. :D

30 fps though, while not a deal breaker I was looking forward to seeing Twilight Princess running at 60 fps...

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Ocarina of Time is one of my all time favourite games, I really didn't like the Windwaker games and ended up losing interest in the series. Now could be the right time to play Twilight Princess (which seems much closer to Ocarina), I always meant to play it but never got around to it.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Pre-ordered my copy with the Amiibo last month. Can't wait to revisit this game even if it is not the best Zelda game.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

really looking forward to hero mode.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Got my copy (with Wolf Link amiibo and soundtrack CD) yesterday from ShopTo.net, three days ahead of its official Friday release date in the UK so that was nice.

I played about 2.5 hours of the game up to the point where Link with Midna meet the Twilight Princess for the first time. I'm really enjoying it as the last time I played the game was on a 21" Sony CRT TV on the Wii using those awful tacked on motion controls and with limited camera control. The new version is a revelation and at last I can enjoy it as much as I did The Wind Waker HD. Although not the prettiest Zelda game (that honour goes to The Wind Waker IMO), it still looks great in 1080p and while it might lack texture filtering at least the porters added some anti-aliasing (something of a rarity in many Wii U games) so everything looks crisp and sharp.

My only grievance is that the in-game music volume is too low despite the rest of the sound being fine as is the title music. As always with Nintendo games, settings are sparse; certainly there is no audio volume settings to tweak (sometimes I wonder if Nintendo think we are all simpletons that cannot comprehend how to use these settings and that's why they leave them out? Maybe they think their primary audience don't care?). :(

Still there's the audio CD of the soundtrack I can listen to...

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just read on Digital Foundry that the Wii version I played actually had a mirrored world from the GameCube version so in that respect I have already played the Hero mode. The new HD version has the world mirrored the same way as the GameCube version so, in effect, I am playing the game was a reversed world from the one I am used to seeing.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am absolutely loving this game all over again. I'm about 13 hours in heading for the third dungeon. The game looks and sounds lovely (sure it wouldn't pass for a 2016 title but it has that quintessential Nintendo charm through and through).

Although, I did not finish the game on the Wii, mostly due to getting tired of the "waggle" motion-controls, I did get quite a way through it but I'm not remembering anything except the opening village section. Of course, this version is mirrored from the Wii (as in the Wii version was mirrored and this is how it should be) so that would make it feel different but the dungeons all feel fresh and new. I guess that is a good thing as it makes exploration a lot more enjoyable. The controls are also sheer bliss after the Wii's motion controller (you can still aim using the gyroscope in the Wii U controller however and, surprisingly, it is really good/accurate).

Highly recommended.

P.S. I've not opened the Wolf Link amiibo yet but it is beautifully made and detailed. Kind of want to open the box to put the figure with my other Link amiibos but it looks so damn perfect in the packaging. lol

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Its a bit better now I'm away from the opening village, in the goron mines now (which don't look nearly as good as I remember). Forgot how much I hated the cliche children, especial colin

Playing with the pro controller, rarely use my gameoad now unless a game makes me, so much better

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I do have a Pro controller but I find having the map or inventory accessible on the game controller makes the game a bit easier to play.

The opening village section is easily the most dull start to any of the Zelda games I've played since Ocarina of Time. It takes far too long to get to the first dungeon too but once there then the game quickly digs its claws into me and won't let go. Even now I'm itching to dash home from work and play it! :D

It would have been nice if Nintendo had tidied up some of the character models but I suspect that if they had then this game wouldn't be running at 1080p but rather 720p. Seems some concessions have been made to hit 1080p but overall the game looks better than ever but, funnily enough, pretty much exactly how I remember it looked (of course, it doesn't the Wii version, particularly on a large screen HDTV looks pretty hideous these days).

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    What's worse on the wii version that I never knew until this HD re-release was that it was 16 bit colour (I think I remember noticing this) and that even though the wii is widescreen, it's still the same 640x480 gamecube resolution, just stretched, I always thought the wii did 840x480 or something.

Maximum blur.

But this HD release does feel more rushed compared to wind waker I think, not as much graphical additions, just HD textures, 1080p 24bit colour and slightly better shadows.

Wind waker had like, full dynamic shadows going on and new bloom

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Nah. I'll pass because the only reason I got Windwaker HD because it was free from Nintendo for those who bought Mario Kart 8 a while back.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Really digging this HD version, although it took me a while to find the last two Twilight bugs in the Zoran Kingdom but I'm not heading for the last part of the Fused Shadow and the water temple. Absolutely love it. It is the sort of game that only Nintendo can make, full of secrets and stuff to find and superbly designed, particularly the dungeons.