Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And I am completely disagree to blame NVIDIA for poor working game(s). I know so little about game profiles/game optimizations implemented in drivers, but to me (as a professional developer since 1992) namely game developer must provide game working good. OFC, there is such thing as PC platform curse (when there is no guarantee that all parts assembled in your rig will work properly), but when NVIDIA/ATI decided to offer such thing as game profile they didn`t know that game developers will decide to pass the responsibility for their result work to NVIDIA/ATI.
    I mean that whole practice of releasing "game ready" drivers feels wrong to me. Game should work from day 0 on current drivers and not on some special future ones.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    This works for me pre render frame 1 +adaptive vsync

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They put their best engineers to work extra time on dx12 drivers for Pascal and Volta, and left dx11 to the rookies.

Everyone with the problem must try that... and deleting apex.dll from game folder or setting physx to cpu in control panel. Also some osd layer software can fix remaining jerkiness, bandicam did it for me on this game and all the other titles with the new driver introduced stuttering caused by ssaa (Like pinballFX).

4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I see only a handful of people here that have improvements from IMEI apps. If it was widespread, i'm sure IMEI bundled apps would become a part of core windows installations.

On my system, the changes between 347 and 355 drivers are non existent in all games that predate both drivers, with games newer than 347 sets performing better, and any issue i've had that happens with both drivers, was not affected by IMEI or the apps in any way.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im not seeing any stutter, skyrim play smooth as silk, other then when my cpu bottlenecks in some places on the 358.50

Swtor still runs like trash but that is the engine problem. could be the new cards coupled with new systems/ specific systems?

Far as i know there is no IMEI for my system either. just Chipset and IRST drivers

6. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    OK so at this point, let's try and pinpoint differences.

To all those who have just installed the normal chipset drivers etc and everything is playing smooth, can you please list exactly what you have installed and which os you are on....so -

Intel/AMD Chipset Drivers -
    Intel Management Engine -
    Intel Rapid Storage -
    Nvidia Drivers -
    OS -
    Anything Extra -

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Win 10 pro

f6flpy-x64 11.7.0.1013 (irst)
    SetupChipset-10_0_27 (chipset)
    358.50(nvidia drivers)

IF it maters I have GPU in MSI mode and not irq

8. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Thanks, come on people....need more input :)

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Most games (and by most I mean 99,9% of them really) work on current drivers just fine. "Game ready" drivers are usually about several percent more performance and a SLI profile. And SLI/CF is a whole other story.

10. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    I don't think people fiddle around here.

The intel tech drivers delivers a substantial performance upgrade to games and applications but why was it kept away for so long.

Anyway i've been playing some bioshock 1 and got no audio after the intro, After a few minutes i figured out the issue. If anyone wants to dip back into rapture on windows 10, visit this link to fix the issue.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/487870763300254177/

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  12. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    that is not completely true.

older games have issue with latest drivers (so far i can confirm bad company 2 and pes 6, i bet i will find more games if i test it more deeply for which i don't have time).

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Older games have issues in new environments because of the bugs / issues in these older games usually, not the drivers.

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Intel/AMD Chipset Drivers - Not installed
    Intel Management Engine - Only driver 166 no software
    Intel Rapid Storage - 12.9.4.1000 because higher has issue with my Samsung HD103SJ with APM
    Nvidia Drivers - 355.98
    OS - Windows 10 x64
    Anything Extra - HPET Disabled on bios and windows , not special registry tweak enabled like DisablePaging . GPU is non MSI mode.
    Adaptive Vsync enabled + PreRender 3 ( Default )
    Directx 9 Redist June 2010 Installed
    GPU Tweak 2 1.1.1.1 using to overclock and limit FPS to 65

I am noticing that limiting to 58,59,60,61,62 has weird unexplained stuttering every 6 sec or the guys who knows how to calculate if 60 Fps is 16.7ms then it looks like the fps just goes to 58,59,60,61 and back to 62. Limiting the FPS to any of the numbers always takes +2 , if limiting to 60 it will limit to 62, so is 65 to 67. Limiting it to 65 doesn't have this drops at all, it stays 67 all the times. I saw heavy stuttering on Trine 3, so you guys can test the game and see what number fix it for you. Last time I tried to play BladeStorm nightmare on windows 7 it ran like crap even with 1.02 patch. now with windows 10 and all the settings it runs like a dream, so is NFS Rivals.

I did test it on my Laptop Asus 751JT 970m and GTA V works way better for me and my friend with Asus 950m laptop, we both saw a difference.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  15. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    Finally got that pc working but not impressive
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

16. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    OK i have done a weeks worth of testing and have found something that might be causing the stutter everyone is having, i have spent about a week going through different drivers. I think i have finally found out why it happens and how to fix it. when testing latency with each game i noticed that the frametimes were pretty high thus causing the frames to hitch in what we gamers call "microstutter" its where the gpu skips a frame because it was rendered too late to be displayed in the amount of time required. Well what i found out is that for some odd reason the default timer resolution in windows 10 was set to 15ms, when i saw this i thought "eureka!", Well anyways the fix is pretty simple, i downloaded a tool commonly used called "Windows System Timer tool" which can be downloaded here http://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool [1]
    I opened the program and set the timer to 1ms or 1.00 and clicked on "set timer" , i set this to match the response time of my monitor, for example if your monitor has a 5ms response time set the timer resolution to 5ms. but you can still set it to 1ms and it should give you the same results. Whats odd is after setting the resolution timer to 1ms i now have perfectly butter smooth games, I hope this post can help other windows 10 PC gamers out who are wondering why there is so much stutter on windows 10. I would like others to test this as well. all i can say is im happy as hell that i can play my games without a single hitch now! my above method worked flawlessly for me.

Driver used: 356.04
    Refresh rate: 144hz

SPECS:

SPECS:
    MOTHERBOARD: msi Z97s SLIPLUS
    CPU: i5-4670k @4.4ghz
    GPU: gigabyte gtx 970
    RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury
    HDD: 320GB seagate + 128gb ssd
    PSU: Corsair GS800

17. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    Timer resolution tools

I have to plus 1 this. +1
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376458
    Tiny system service
    No intel access needed.
    I've been using this for years.
    Also, the reason running a flash video in the background can often have the same effect is because flash lowers your timer resolution.
    Here is a tool to verify the current system timer
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897568
    The tool is 80KB and created by microsoft to show your timer resolution.
    Michael T

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

Win10Pro default.

19. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    Default is 15.625

The windows os default is 15.625. You may have changed your power options from balanced to high perf. or something.
    Michael T

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Haven't changed anything related. Power options are set to balanced.