Just bought my first SSD, how long will it last if I use 30gb per day?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by SapphireLynx, Sep 29, 2013.

1. SapphireLynx

SapphireLynx Guest

GPU:
    Msi GTX 760 SLI 1200/1700
    Samsung Evo 250gb

my 3tb HDD died a couple days ago, so I decided to do a fresh win8 install on this SSD, the thing is i play large games, like max payne 3, so lets say i install it uninstall it every day... would the ssd last me say 2-3 years?

installing 30gb a day or so uninstall 30gb a day? (im not actually going to do this, just curious I have fiber optic internet 100 down 50 up... so I can install games at my leisure since its so fast)

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You should be able to read and write 100GB a day for 5 years on most of them before they've worn out.

3. SapphireLynx

SapphireLynx Guest

GPU:
    Msi GTX 760 SLI 1200/1700
    thanks Ice, thats way more then I thought, holy crap xD

4. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    nm i chat ****

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's essentially an unknown factor that's over exaggerated by paranoid people. It depends on the SSD and time.

6. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Yeh I looked at what I read again awhile back and I remembered it wrong, they did tests that would mean you could write 30gb a day for 25 years.

Tbh who keeps a HDD/SSD for more than a few years anyways? My HDDs always die after 2 :\ Dunno why but whenever I come to the 2 year mark I know I have to buy a new one and like clockwork the old one dies lol.

Never buy Western Digital.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Some of my WD drives I've had for 4-5 years now. Mechanical storage drives are a must for me. I've a few TB of storage hanging around, and will for a long time to come. I use SSD's for important application use and O/S's. Your stuff is only lasting 2 years? Ouch.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's wrong with the 3TB drive?

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'd be pissed if I was only getting a couple of years out of my mechanical drives... no matter who manufactured it.

Consumer leave SSDs have come along in the past four years, write life isn't the concern it once was now that more time has passed and testing has been done.