AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    f you were reading the news last month, you might have noticed those slightly worrying rumors about Intel ditching socketed CPUs in 2014. Intel hasn't sought to confirm or deny the speculation. AMD, ...

AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Finally, a voice of reason.

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    agree with ^

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Inb4 someone comes in and says 'but will AMD still be around by then' :p

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    and so what.? even if intel ditch socketed cpus will be faster/better again...it's like kind a law of computer science or physics...:wanker:

i believe amd just cannot risk a chance of changes on the way they produce their products, innovation is not an option anymore... :)

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Woo, go AMD :D

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    If you really think Intel will abandon a market I have a very nice bridge I will sell you. The enthusiast market is worth its weight in marketing gold alone.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They aren't, the report even said they aren't, yet people here didn't even read article. Not even to mention the fact that people can't see outside their little square box, any change to that and they freak and panic. It's funny too -- because I feel like when I talk to older people, when you change an interface or something, they get all panicky and freak out about change, I always felt like the younger generation wouldn't have this problem because they are used to adapting to constant change. And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out, they don't even consider any upsides to it, or the reasons why, or anything.

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well, having to solder a $250 CPU to a $150 MB without ever soldering anything before (and this type is very precision soldering mind you, with tons of pins), so yeah, the prospect of it would be rather freaky. The old timers will freak out because their eyesight isnt waht it used to so it would be a pain to see.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    what

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I didn't get it either lol -- I'm assuming it's because i said socket instead of chip or maybe it's because the sentence is worded as it sounds like I'm saying people will have to do it and not that it's being bought like that

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    After reading it 16 times, I think the point of contention is "And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out"

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, the sentence is worded in a way that makes it sound like someone is going to have solder a socket onto a motherboard. It should be a chip onto a motherboard and the person doing the soldering is all ****ed up -- corrected:

"And yet, when it comes to receiving a chip soldered into a motherboard, people just freak out"

bam son, we just solved global warming

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    They said they will keep on making Enthusiast high end cpus, but lets break it down a bit.

What is Enthusiast? Will people like me be able to afford these Enthusiast chips. I have 3 kids to feed on a 7 pound an hour income.

I can't afford to spend 200+ pound on a cpu and the mobos are usually a bit more expensive as well.

Last intel i had was a pentium 2 ^^. Not because i don't want one but to get one it would have to be a k series one and they have been out of reach for me price wise.

I'd think the cpu+mobo combo built together would be plug+play and throw away. I doubt they will be good overclockers like the k series.

They'll want the combo to have a short life like modern gfx cards. 18 months to 2 years and it'll be in the bin.

I've had this AMD 955 cpu now since 2009 i think. I know its showing its age now but running @ 3.8ghz it still works well enough.

If AMD were to die i would prolly be forced into buying the combo type set up and that might suck.

Of course they would be intel chips on intel boards, so what would that mean for mobo makers.

Most people here love to tinker with there system bios or software to enhance performance and if you don't you still like the idea that you can if you wish. I doubt intel will want the combo set ups tinkered with. So you'll prolly get a boost clock and no OCing or very little anyway.

15. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    maybe what intel meant is intel Extreme Edition CPU is still gonna be in the form of a socket,

while intel low and mid range cpu is gonna be soldered on the mobo,

well i only bought mid range cpu, so i think i'm gonna use AMD,

because i want to be able to choose for myself,

and not pick from what intel is offering from their combination of mobo with cpu soldered in it,

cos i don't trust that intel will combine the best i can get for CPU + Mobo for a good and still affordable price for me.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It's more likely they would sell the CPUs to OEMs who then have it soldered in the manufacturing process to their own motherboards.

17. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    well that wont stop intel from trying to control the OEM, remember the case a few years ago, when intel was trying to control what brand of CPU OEM can offer and sell to customers ?

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Also worth considering...
    If AMDs fastest chips arent as good as Intels mid range and Intels end up soldered, is it still worth getting AMDs socketed chips?
    Within a 2 to 4 year timeframe, you may need to upgrade the socketed but may not need to upgrade the soldered.
    Would there be any cost benefit going socketed over the time period?
    If not, you end up using a slower CPU from the start without a benefit.

Hypothetical for now.

There may be a move to better threading support in games (given the new consoles and a move in that direction anyway) which will take the focus off higher speed chips somewhat.
    Lots to wait and see.

19. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    well, lets just hope that AMD can get their act right, and start competing again, and also i will choose the best that i could get, if intel cpu is faster but the mobo feature is very little, and AMD is only like 10-25% slower than intel mid range, then i will choose AMD, and that is if AMD mobo features is a lot better than what intel offers. and also if i can't change the cpu cooler for intel, then its obvious, cos i don't want my cpu to be hot and loud.

i use to have Pentium 2, and i hated that what i can do to it is very limited.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you do not need to worry any longer, current intel cpu`s are much updated these days