Random PC restarting with new build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ava, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    Alright, now I'm having another issue. Ironically, this is almost identical to the issue my previous PC was having except that included one extra issue (kept stating that my windows needed to be repaired and regardless if I repaired or not, it wouldn't properly boot half of the time). This was especially the case if I didn't close EVERY program before shutting off the computer. However, this is not exactly what I’m currently experiencing.

My PC likes to randomly restart. It will turn completely off and reboot. I get the "Windows didn't shut down properly" screen, but no BSOD or any way of being able to tell what might be the issue. Since it was similar to my previous issue, I thought it might be the surge protector since it was the same one I used with the other computer. I replaced that and my computer restarted later that night. Thinking it might be the outlet, I switched it to another one and it restarted again several hours later. It does this at least once a day.

Is there any way to better narrow down what might be the issue without having to guess? I figured RMAing the PSU is probably the smartest course of action, but I want to explore as many options as possible before I do that. Thank you in advance for your time. :)

OPS: Windows 7.
    Rest of my components should be visible on the left.

EDIT: I did run memtest before OPS was installed then Prime and Furmark after to test the equipment a bit before using it full time. I had no issues with the system running during those tests. The only thing that may be constantly running during these restarts is Chrome. Otherwise it has shut down with and without games running etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think steps above help you in this situation. Its probably hardware related.

- remove video card, additional hard disk, optical drive, etc... and use Intel Graphics to for display. Just do minimal hardware boot.
    - recheck power cable connection to outlet and power cables to motherboard and hard drive.
    - if you overclocking, reset clocks to stock. If you done changes to bios, also reset. (Unless its Raid settings or something else that must be set)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  3. rayhere

rayhere Guest

GPU:
    Sold
    after all step above
    you may
    - test with single ram (try to borrow from friend) for make sure it is not memory issue
    - try to update latest version of bios

4. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    It's usually memory, I remember mem testing my sticks of ram and it would come back as passed every time, yet I tried using my pc which each stick out and it turned out to be two sticks that were faulty.

I never trust memtest anymore.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try this, go to uefi - advanced menu, OC part AiTuner and in DIGI+ raise ram current from 100% to 110%, keep rest at auto in this section. Raise cpu current % only if you OC (110-120%), ie +4.5ghz and +1.2v.

Also did you install Intel Management Engine driver?
    http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...nterface-(MEI-HECI)-Version-9.5.24.1790-WHQL/

if not then just extract it and then in device manager (system devices/ intel management engine interface) pinpoint to this extracted folder, let it update.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I had a weird thing with my home pc where it would restart randomly, maybe once every 2-3 weeks.
    Anyway my case (CM HAF-X) power button lights up and last night I noticed it flickering slightly, so I touched it and bam my system shut down. lol So all along it was the case causing it.

Pretty fed up with CM tbh, the HAF is well designed but it's made from cheap plastic and a lot of parts have broken. I had a TT Xaser which was solid steel and built like a tank.
    This is def my first and last plastic case.