Just jumped on the SSD bandwagon

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by ST19AG_WGreymon, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    When SSDs first came out I really didn't want to bother with having to separate my OS and games. I did get to play with an SSD for a college project way back when the first couple came out when 64GB was $144. So when 1TB finally became affordable I jumped on it. I got a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB for $454. It'll be in today, can't wait!

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Happy Days!!!!!! a new toy, and everything else is about to get that little bit faster!!!!

Just noticed as of tomorrow i'll have almost an identical rig to your sig when my 770 arrives!!

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Get ready for a nice speed bump

4. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Once you go SSD, you will never go back.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    got the evo 500gb a couple weeks back, now I want more ssd

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

I know what you mean I have 5 SSD,s no HDD I use a USB HD for backup and Microsoft sky drive

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    That was my first ever ssd. Prices are low enough for me now. Looking at another 500gb or even the 1tb model. Held off a long time due to price.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I think I'm the only one on the forum that's gone from SSD back to a mechanical drive. Since I went back, I've been trying to figure out why I wasted the money on an SSD.

As an SSD filles up the performance will degrade. However, if you get a large enough drive where capacity won't be an issue....they perform well.

Personally, I won't be buying another SSD until they reach a point where a 1TB drive is less than $150.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is true of HDD to, they just have much higher capacity and much beter GB to $ ratio.

my Old 500 hdd is now used for my games/storage and 128gb 830 is just for OS (20gb used if that), it nice boost in OS performance but beyond that is kind of a waste of money imo. Now if you can afford a 500gb 1TB SSD it another story but SSD is still to expensive imo

The 180$ i spent for this drive wasnt worth the shorter boot times. the drive being silent is great though

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 500GB WD Caviar Black (circa 2008) is the loudest drive in my system....and even that is silent compared to all the fans in my case.

Bootup and Windows install are the only operations where I notice any difference and I don't do either very frequently so it doesn't really matter. During normal use there is a noticeable difference between my Caviar Black and my Seagate 1TB or my Caviar Black and my 256GB Crucial M4....just not between my 256GB Crucial M4 and my Seagate 1TB.

I bought my 256GB SSD because at the time I was using, on average, 120-140GB of HDD space. I would have gone bigger but at the time the 256GB Crucial M4 was still over $400. After switching to Win8 and GPT (UEFI boot), the drive became too small and the performance loss due to the drive being nearly full was extremely obvious.

I can't see spending so much money for a drive just to run Windows.

11. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I need the space more than the speed. That's why I bought the Western Digital Velociraptor drives. I own a 600GB one and a 1TB one. They improved boot/loading times and offer much more mb per $$$ than SSDs still.

12. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Got an 750 GB Evo as I got tired of my 4 years old laptop booting nearly 1.5 minutes. A nice surprise, Samsung migrating software didn't like my HD which has 1 reported uncorrectable error which doesn't cause any problems but Samsung software just exited with an error. Luckily Easeus Free did the cloning without any hiccups and now Samsung Evo is making my lappie much snappier.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That's why I waited a bit and got a 512gb Pro. Set up everything for maximum durability and a decent overprovisioning. For it's price, it better last me a while now :p

14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yep, I was anxious when I first went over, but it was all for nothing, best move indeed, and wasn't a big deal at all, but I read up a lot before I did also. I like to know what is going on, before I run into problems. But like others said, you'll never go back, far as a system drive go's. Storage is another story right now.

15. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

Nope your not alone, I switch back, too. Although, I did buy Seagate hybrid 1Tb drive for the replacement. I really just wanted a faster boot times more then anything else, but wanted it all on one drive due to my backups are clone drives. I got that with the hybrid.

When SSD drop down a lot more, I might consider buying another.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well .. I'm happy with my SSD purchase and it brought new life to my aging PC. Sure it's limited by the Sata 300 ports but it's still significantly faster than any mechanical drive. I bought my 240GB drive for $200 last year .. nice to see 500GB & 1TB drives are becoming practical too. When I build a new desktop, this SSD is going into my dad's laptop. God .. the 5200rpm drive in that thing is just ... :puke:

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    SSD are now really cheap, you pay an 1TB 840EVO for the price of a 256GB 2years ago... when i had build my first SSD, this was with Crucial C300 256GB

At first i was think it is not a problem due to the fact i still use 2TB HDD'S for storage, but in reality with games of today, MMO, you quickly fill a 256gb storage. ( BF4 with DLC is in the 40GO )... add some pro software, some games, you quickly find you to clean your downloads and move them on the HDD storage more offtly that i was think..

Now the 840EVO 500GB is cheap ( here it is around 230$, the price of 128gb SSD some years ago ), performance of the 840 are great, install is flawless.

Buy a second some month then when needed or take the 1TB directly.

18. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    I paid $500 for my Crucial C300 128 when it came out in 2010, and it was the first SATA 3(6GB) SSD on the market at the time, back then prices were not very cheap on SSD's.

19. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I also got crusial M500 240GB today and im happy =) (2 of them)

20. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Welcome to the club! Best bang for buck ive spent in a long time. I have 2 of them, a 60gb for my OS and a 240gb for my games. Everything is snappy and games load super fast. I barely notice it anymore, but anytime i have a buddy come over or my gf's family comes over they are always like "wow how fast is that computer?!" and then i have to try to explain the SSD thing to them haha.