Alternative to KIS 2014?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Arctucas, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    So, my subscription to Kaspersky Internet Security is about to expire.

The thing is, the new version has a 'feature' that irritates me to the point that I want to find another Internet Security suite.

The software must be highly configurable, no 'automatic' anything. I need complete configuration control of the firewall, updates, application control, etc.

Also, it preferably will offer a three-year, five PC subscription option.

Obviously, it must also be highly rated by the various AV and firewall testing people.

What can you recommend?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd look into BitDefender and Trend Micro. Not sure how configurable their products really are, but they're generally the next best rated. Neither site seems to give much information at all about their products.....or I'm just not looking hard enough.

Generally my recommendation would be for Avast, but it's becoming more and more automated...

I've been using KAV for the last 6+ months and I'm preparing to replace it due to lack of capability.

What I'm using on my laptop is Panda Cloud Antivirus Free, TinyWall (configuration tool for the Windows Firewall) and McAfee SiteAdvisor. Panda Cloud Antivirus has actually gotten pretty good reviews with the latest version, but still not as highly regarded by the A/V testing labs as BitDefender, Kaspersky and Trend Micro.

3. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    When I'm not using KIS,I use Bitdefender

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Avast is actually quite capable, even if you're only using its free version.
    Not to mention it's about as light as ESET, which is still my go-to for paid AV.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    While Avast is very capable, it's not very configurable. There are quite a few options that aren't exposed to the user (and for good reason).

Avast is very light on resources with it's default settings. However, if you increase the settings for maximum protection, it becomes quite resource intensive. It's default settings are ideal for most users though.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think Avast has more options on its paid version, like advanced firewall options.
    Ironically, I've never tried its paid version because their free version (albeit requiring registration) is good enough for malware protection.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Regular backups and common sense.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nod32 ESET Smart security 7.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't recall seeing any "advanced firewall options" before I uninstalled it from my laptop a couple weeks ago. Of course, the options may vary between Windows versions. I'm on Windows8.x...

10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Depends for what you need to use them. I only use AV from Eset and got no problems, and i think that for home use if you don't have some sensitive data you can use a good AV only nothing more.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

I'm still using KIS 2013, had tried KIS 2014 but as you said its lack of options for advanced/experienced users irritates me a bit (a lot), you even can't (officialy) save or import settings saved on another rig with KIS 2014 (?!). I need full controll of AV options, firewall.. etc and KIS 2013 is fully cappable to offer me all that.

Here in Serbia price of KIS about 3, 4 moths ago price has dropped by half and I'm really happy because of that because now I have to pay half of the price for KIS licence renewal for dozen of my rigs at home and work.

Just revert to latest KIS 2013 build and you'll be happy again... :)

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Probably not on their basic paid AV suite (Pro Antivirus) but on their Internet Security package, just like most other AVs.
    Well, unless it's Comodo which free version has everything but the kitchen sink, but the damn thing is a hog.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had Avast Internet Security on my laptop. However, as I stated, my laptop runs Windows8.x and may have different options exposed due to the security policy for Windows8.x prohibiting 3rd party security software from disabling and replacing the built in firewall.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Have you considered KIS 2013? It's still a very valid product and is still being updated with patches. It should do until 2015 is released after the summer when they said they will bring back more advanced configuration options.

15. kindred

kindred Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    I assume you're now using Windows 8 or 8.1 and only the KIS 2014 version is compatible. The firewall configuration is an absolute mess compared to previous versions. If not and you're using Windows 7 then you could always go back to 2012 version which is the best version to date and a years subscription for 3 PC's is only around £12 on Amazon or Ebay. For Windows 8.1 I recommend ESET smart security suite.

http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

16. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Continuing on...

Like a dumbass, I decided to give those jerks at Kaspersky another chance. I renewed for three years, 'upgrading' to Pure. I wanted to be 'fair' and give them another chance.

The software is very good, do not get me wrong, it is the insolent attitude their alleged 'Tech Support' has. And please, do not even get me started on their Forum asshats, er, moderators...

Now, after blowing $150+, I am again experiencing issues with their so-called 'support' people. Rather than answering a straight-forward question, they are trying to convince me that I need to pay for their 'Premium Support'. F- that!

So, who has the best (read: most helpful, respectful, actually interested in helping paying customers) Tech Support?

Thanks again