Can RT OverClock Integrated GPU/IGP? If not - what tool can?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by easperhe, Jun 12, 2008.

1. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    I experimented with RT 2.09 and was able to use it to OC my laptop (NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M) GPU. Now I'm trying to OC a new desktop machine with GeForce 8200 Integrated GPU/IGP. I would like to see if OCing IGP will give enough performance that I don't have to buy a discrete card. It seems from many searches (so I tried) and reading docs that RT/Unwinder doesn't want to support IGPs, which is his choice and that's fine. But the wording in the System Requirements note below doesn't mention integrate/motherboard. And, I was able to get RT to work on a mobile GPU.

Note: RivaTuner doesn't declare official support for mobile graphics processors and multi-GPU SLI and Crossfire configurations. Proper functionality on such systems is not guaranteed, use RivaTuner at your own risk.

Q1: Does RT support IGPs (specifically GeForce 8200)?

Q2: If not, what tool(s) can? If more then one, which is most recommended?

FYI - I was able to get RT to partially recognize GeForce 8200 by adding PCI Device ID to RivaTuner.cfg. But RT doesn't doesn't seem to be able to read the core/shader clocks as "N/A" shows up for core/shader/memory clocks. But hardware monitoring does show a core and memory clock. I'd show an attachment here but for some reason I'm not allowed to post attachments. :wanker:

Thanks in Advance!

2. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    lol I wonder for what kind of use you would overclock an IGP

since it's not like the performance gains could be so awesome given how low performance is at start and the fact that an IGP use system memory which is .... slow and furthermore bandwith is shared with the rest of the system

btw while saying that, I just thought you could probably overclock an IGP "memory" by just overclocking the whole system memory

3. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    sorry - double post

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. easperhe

easperhe Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GeForce 8200
    I think there are a couple of reasons that overclocking an IGP is becoming more relevant today. See my reasons below. But I don't want to get off track. I'm still looking for feedback on my 2 questions:

Q1: Does RT support IGPs (specifically GeForce 8200)?

Q2: If not, what tool(s) can? If more then one, which is most recommended?

Reasons for overclocking an IGP:
    1) It's very clear that graphics performance is becoming a much more relevant selling point to the average consumer. As a result, the recently released IGPs (AMD RS780G, NVIDIA GeForce 8200, Intel P45?) are significantly higher performers and outperform low-end discrete cards from last year. So these IGPs are more then adaquate for playing a number of games. And as the focus on the average consumer continues, I think IGP performance will increase at a higher rate then discrete.

2) The more important reason is money. Why spend $100-$400 dollars for a discrete card if IGPs can adaquately play the games I want to play? It's understandable that this forum is dominated by gamers/enthusiasts who are willing to spend the money for a high-end graphics card. But I think the growth in people playing 3D computer games in the coming years will be more from people more like me (the average player) then from the gamers/enthusiasts (since they already dominate the market today).

5. stoked

stoked New Member

Actually, overclocking an IGP can help in media playback for Blu-ray/HD-DVD. I'm also looking at trying to overclock my Nvidia 8200 series IGP as there are reports that overclocking allows for Cool'n Quiet to be enabled and still have smooth video playback.

I tried using Rivatuner on my 8200 board but it doesn't seem to let me overclock it.