USB 3.0 on mobo is broken?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by wil11o6, May 9, 2012.

1. wil11o6

wil11o6 Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 and I bought a 750GB Hitachi Touro Pro. Everything went fine at first with the supplied USB 3.0 cable, I was transferring at 100mb/s but the cable was too short, at 1 foot. I ordered a 6 foot cable from Amazon and once I used that cable, everything seemed to have messed up. Transfers would either freeze or go really, really slow, as in 10mb/s, slower than USB 2.0. The HDD still worked on USB 2.0 ports just fine so I thought it messed up it's 3.0 part.

I thought the cable somehow messed up the HDD, so I exchanged for a brand new one. I am using the supplied cable again, not even touching the cheap cable. Only this time, I am getting different problems. Even with the blue "on" button lit on my HDD, my computer would not read my HDD. It would take a couple jiggles of the cable and it would finally read it, however, it transfers at USB 2.0 speed, maybe a little faster at 40mb/s. Other instances, even with the connection secure, my HDD wouldn't even turn on.

USB 2.0 ports work perfectly fine. This new one doesn't freeze like the one I returned though. I'm thinking the cable might have shorted something out? My motherboard only has 2 USB 3.0 ports and neither of them work. Am I screwed?

I have tried reinstalling USB mobo drivers from supplied CD.

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Try using the Etron (your motherboard's USB 3.0 controller) drivers from here.

3. wil11o6

wil11o6 Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+
    Thanks, I'll take a look and get right back.

If that doesn't work, I am wondering if I could get one of those PCI USB 3.0 instead? My motherboard doesn't have that USB 3.0 header so I'm out of luck. Any cheap one will do?

Looking between http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166026

or

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...1PC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336614089&sr=8-1

I would prefer without the 4-pin molex as less cable management but if it's needed then I would opt for one with one, however both reviews are pretty decent with or without.

Last edited: May 10, 2012