win 98 network

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Tension, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Tension

Tension Guest

usual goal here, i'd like to share my road runner connection with my 2 comps. thought i'd start by setting up a lan and see if RR in my area would assign 2 ips....

linksys card in one machine and dlink in the other with a dlink switch in between. i've played with every network setting i can find in windows and they just don't see each other....

same workgroup name same protocols same client etc... am i missing something simple? please?

2. ZOGMgog

ZOGMgog Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 xt
    do they both have rr ips? if they dont, then thats your problem.
    but if they are both online at once then theres a network setting u are missing.

what operating system are both pcs running?
    can u search for the pc name?

if they charge u extra for the second ip you may want to purchase a router. that will split the connection to a number of pc, for the same price as one. only cost u about $80 us dollars, and that pays for itself by not paying for the second ip.

3. Tension

Tension Guest

i'm familiar with the router option. i've got one brother that can get 2 external ips with just a switch (no charge) and one that needs to pay. it seems to depend on the area you live in.

both comps are running win 98. the network either shows as unavailable or i only see the comp i'm on listed.

i tried hooking the second comp directly to the modem and connecting to RR but i got a DNS error during the 'setup' with the RR disk. i'm wondering if its a broken (or incompatible) card.

i think i'll try switching it to the comp i know works and see what happens.

any other ideas?

4. ZOGMgog

ZOGMgog Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 xt
    hmm so both of them are win98.

and they both have separate ip addresses. both have different computer names with the same workgroup.

u have tcp/ip cause thats what rr runs on.
    u may want to try adding netbeui or ipx/spx protocols.
    is file and print sharing on?

when u bring up a command prompt, can u ping the one pc to the other. if ur not sure how to do this, thyp ping <computer name> and press enter. or ping <ipadress>

if u get a destinationhost unreachable then something is wrong.
    if everything is set up on the physical layer correctly, u should be able to ping the other computer and get a response.
    if not try a different nic, network cable and different port on the switch.

also if u didnt already try doing a search for the pc name from find/search. sometimes windows 98 takes a while to recognize another pc in the network.

5. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    erm... let me figure this out (not had my coffee yet).
    You are trying to get both PC's on the internet with two IP's from RR ??

If so, then you wont be able to get that working.

If on the other hand, you are trying to simply network the two computers together without any form of internet connection, then you should be able to do so quite simply.
    ip 192.168.0.XXX (or whatever, as long as both machines have the same 3 prefixes)
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    Workgroup = same
    comp names, whatever.

Now, connect to the switch without any RR modem. Ping the other machine. If that works, then start browseing the network. Hit refresh (F5) crap loads if you dont see the other PC.

I am not from the states, so i have no idea what is special about RR, but from what i DO know, is that (standard) file and print sharing is not possible outside of the 255.255.255.0 subnet. So if you are being assigned IP's, then chances are that you wont be able to browse other PC's via the RR ip's.

Goodluck.

6. Tension

Tension Guest

Thanx ee92......

i think that info will help.

i AM trying to get both comps online with 2 ips....

first i was trying to set up the simple lan, then i was going to see what happen with RR (wether or not it would assign 2 ips or share one through the switch)

the ip(s) are assigned by dhcp so they should vary BUT.... the ip for this comp has never changed in 3 months????

subnet mask is 255.255.248.0 so that may pose a problem from above....

i guess i'll keep messin.....and see what happens

7. Tension

Tension Guest

ok i'm learnin a ton but still have some confusion :O

why won't 2 comps share a rr connection (1 ip) with a switch between the modem and the comps?

is it cause no proxy or nat in win 98?

second in my fiddling i tried to hook second comp directly to the cable modem. it didn't work. in reading the rr website it states...

If you purchase a new computer or decide that you would like to change the dedicated computer to which your cable modem connects, first contact your local cable provider for assistance.

Changes to your Ethernet adapter may require us to re-provision your account to avoid a service interruption.

what the hell is re-provision and how could the acct be set up to work with a lynksys card but not a dlink card....

i can see i'm gonna end up paying for a second ip...... :(

thnx

8. ZOGMgog

ZOGMgog Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 xt
    a switch is basically a smart hub. it does the same thing as a hub (but transfers info differently).
    it will connect computers together in a network.

in order to connect to the internet u must be assigned an ip address by your provider. and that ip can only be used by one pc. otherwise the packets would get lost in transit.
    u CAN use internet connection sharing to get around this, but from what ive heard it sometimes doesnt work.
    if ya wanna try this u can add it from the win98 cd.

but i would recommend a router. like i said b4 it pays for itself in no time, by not having to pay for that second ip.

here are some links to some routers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11161711&m=488&cat=540&scat=1574
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11008648&m=488&cat=540&scat=1574

if u already have a switch u could just buy a one port router, but i would recommend getting a 4 port router, just so u dont have to mess with router, switch, pcs, and cable modem. (specially if theres some incompatability)

sounds like your cable system works like this.
    your 1 ip address u get with the service is assigned based on the mac address of your nic. that mac address is unique to each individual nic/router made. your nic card will work but it has to be set up in their system to be allowed an ip address.

this ensures that ppl dont try and get around the cable co. system, and have more pcs online than they are paying 4.
    the only way to change the account is to have them change their records (provisioning your account)

if u get a router you can have them set up the router mac address into their system, replacing your current nic. dont tell them u have a router. just say u have a new network card.
    it shouldnt make a difference, but what they dont know wont hurt them.

then all u have to do is complete a simple setup and ull have the ability to set up multiple computers with one ip.

ive got 3 pcs hooked up to my router, and am only paying for 1 ip. :)

9. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Router is definatly an option for you. Have a read of this article. It explains a load: http://www.guru3d.com/review/smc/barricade

If you cannot / dont want, to spend out on a router. Then consider a 3rd party ICS package. Wingate / sygate. Sygate i know has 1 nic ICS programs. Very handy for you... i.e. only one nic in each machine.

GL.

10. Tension

Tension Guest

i had a little chat with rr tech support last night and told them i tried to temporarily change my connection to my kids comp just to download some big files. they said they don't store the nic address at their server but you have to power cycle the modem to change it between comps. in other words the modem stores the nic address. this sounds like bunk to me cause IF i paid for 2 ips the modem would need to be able to see both cards....

i havn't tried it yet but something sounds fishy.....

as far as the router goes, i really am interested in 2 seperate ips for online gaming. working through a router is possible for some but other games jsut dont support 2 comps from 1 ip even with port mapping.

11. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    I havent play one game on my comp that hasnt gone through a router. The only thing is game servers... i cant run some servers through it.

But there are ways around it

12. Tension

Tension Guest

i agree with that. one comp through a router can almost always be set up by opening ports and what not. the problem we (my brother) had was trying to get 2 comps to play the same game from behind a router. with only one external ip the second comp would never connect to the game. it was AOEII. tech support at the zone couldn't help, they finally said that the game dosn't support it. we decided that the game dosn't release use of the port(s) once its connected, and of course only one comp can access a port at a time.

13. EvilPeppard

EvilPeppard Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 770 4GB
    You could also put a second NIC in the PC that is currently connected to your Internet. Hook the second nic to an internal hub and your other PC to that same hub. Install/turn on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC with 2 NICs then both PC's (and every other one connected to your internal hub) will now have Internet access. :)

14. Tension

Tension Guest

sorta forgot about this thread.... just to wrap things up. two nics works great for networking. 1st edition win 98 has no ics so i have to use 3rd party proxy software.. no big deal there are free ones out there.

i'm still left with the gamming problem, but that's a software issue and isn't gonna be solved here... thanx for all the help people...

15. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Thanks for letting us know how it went. It aint that common !!
    Good to know its all worked out for ya, and i am sure we are all glad to help ! :D