Review: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today we review something evil, the PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL. Armed with 8GB graphics memory lucifer presents himself as a mainstream graphics card series that will allow you to play your ga...

Review: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL edition

2. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Thanks for adding Vulkan results.

The Vulkan results are very impressive for this card, moving the card up from just over GTX970 to exceeding GTX980! Not bad for a mid range card.

Hopefully we'll see more developers picking up Vulkan over DX12 going forwards so that users who don't want to use Windows 10 can benefit from a next gen API.

3. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    AIB 1060s are faster, cooler, more efficient and have more overclocking headroom at the same or even lower prices. I don't think this card is a wise choice at this price.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Like 2 sentences before you stated that it costs 269 USD. I guess that quoted sentence is from the reference card review ?

5. Devilhunter12

Devilhunter12 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Lightning
    So this card require more watts then GTX 1070 ,however, it is 50-60% slower.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm surprised how "hot" it runs... Even though it's quiet but still. I would have expected a cooler like that to keep it cooler. Also this pretty much confirms that these cards don't overclock that well, only small gains.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No that price is correct as the MSR sales price is:

Suggested retail price of 269USD with availability on the 29th

8. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I expected a much higher overclock but still a great card I would take this over 1060
    Great review as always

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    But a 1060 doesn't feel as futureproof due to the non-implementation of asynchronous compute.

10. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Yes, Nvidia has fantastic efficiency currently, but at least here in Finland it costs at least twice as much too.

/ I'm getting a 4GB card to cut down the price further. Vega is according to AMD's charts more efficient than Polaris so I may pick one of those up next year. 1060 and 480 won't be fast enough for 1440p in a short while.

11. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    you are wrong. Pascal supports full DX 12.1 features including asynchronous compute.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    He He

Sooner than Later, thats Great.
    Fiji is better ;-)

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It does not really. It does support something similar tho. Even when comparing 12.0 features nvidia and amd have differences, asynchronous compute is not part of that feature set tho. Best support is to be had from Intel and skylake igpus.

Vulkan results are tad lower then they would be with async but it's a really nice bump already with only dx12 :)

Nice review as always.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Doom Vulkan was tested at SMAA, it's going to stay that way. Do you really think I have 48 hours per day time or something just to meet any and every settings ?

You wonder who pays my bills ... I do and work roughly 70+ hours a week to do so. I cannot remember an instance in the past ten years that Nvidia paid us anything whatsoever. You state 'be impartial', yet it seems I just stumbled into the biggest fanboy with a massive AMD BIAS.

Why I test with HBAO+ ? It's technology supported by both camps. The fact that is might work our a tiny bit less for AMD is reason to disable it ? Now that's bias. Should I go ahead and disable some AMD preferred settings as well ?

Tomb Raider will be retested once when I have the time, the new driver was released hours ago.

No, Timespy does not allow a generic score when you disable async. Spend 2 minutes and and 5 bucks to try for yourself ?

Seriously grow the hell up, don't throw around accusations like that as your message here is colored completely red by modeling settings that work out the best for AMD. Our settings and tests are balanced properly and evenly in-between both AMD and Nvidia. You might not like it, but that's how it is.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    wow... just wow

can anyone think of any other brand drawing as much lunatics as AMD

ban the mofo please

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    HH is wattmann so bad for OC.. can you use msi afterburner ?

17. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Yes but in the quote I posted from the review there is 239$. That's what I was trying to point out.

By the way, could you also measure the temps and power consumption after the OC ?

And lastly, I read a review of an Asus card where the reviewer was able to achieve much better OC through Asus software rather than using Wattman. You could have tired using diferent software to OC aswell...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh crap I misread your post, sorry let me check that out.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am OCing an MSI RX480 at the moment with an internal beta of AfterBurner. Which already works nicely yet needs more refining. However it could take weeks before we can publish an advanced build to the public as there isn't only Polaris support, we're (well Alex is ) working on DirectX 12 overlay compatibility support as well.

20. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    That's relative ... lacking CR and ROV's is probably less futureproof than AC since they (CR, ROV's) are DX12_1 requirements.