XFX R9 290 Black screen issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by souvikbiswas, Oct 1, 2014.

1. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    Hello guys!
    I am using a r9 290 xfx reference version of the card. i used all the drivers came out till now including 14.9 whql. Now the problem is when play games for like 4-5 hours constant (its actually at night 11pm -4am) i dont have a single black screen issue (which seems to occur when my pc is in idle mode). now after gaming constantly like c3 and bf4 mp's i usually shut down my pc and go to sleep, now here comes the problem, the very next morning when i will start my computer and log in into windows the sooner i open my web browser to log in my internet (local cable net so have to login that way) or even i sit idle for 2 mins the black screen occurs and when it occurs i have to hard reset! once i restart after this for that session nothing will ever happen no black screen nothing. It may be one kind of fix to have 1 black sreen every start but its killing my hdd (slow poisioning :p) and killing me too. If u guys can pls give me a damn fix. (forgive me for my bad english) And another thing i want to state that is there is no psu fault or fault in my card u must be wondering how am i telling this, well i tested my r9 290 on Rm 750 corsair which is more than enough i guess still same issue now u might say the card is faulty then, no sir its not i got two frnds with r9 270x having same issue we all have GDDR5 hynix ram. So i have came to this conclusion that its the driver problem.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  3. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    No not only r9 290 users having this problem but also r9 270x users having same issue. and i downloaded that memory checker its hynix but i cant finds its uefi or legacy :( and is there any fix sir?

4. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    and what is meant by this "make sure that your card is getting enuff power. do not use a cord that has a 6 and a 8 pin in the same line thats not enough power" i have a corsair Gs 600 which i think is sufficient for my card my frnd have a xfx core edition 850 watt psu he have same issue on his r9 290 too :(

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Never had problem with any of my cards

6. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    sir u are having r9 290x's and i am running a r9 290 :'(

7. Boing7898

Boing7898 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC
    I have (had) a Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC and I kept having black screens with any driver past 13.12 (14.4, 14.6, 14.8 etc). I tried everything, but the only solution was disabling PowerPlay and making the clocks stay always in 3D mode. But sometimes even that wasn't helping, so I had to RMA it.

8. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    Bro where i belong electricity is too costly for me. so using 3d clock all the time i cant do it :'( its something with this ****ty powertune if there a way to turn it off things could have went too easier.
    when i do browsing my mem clock always goes high to 1250 and dips down to 150 randomly its a driver issue clearly which amd is unable to resolve in almost 1 year! :(

9. Boing7898

Boing7898 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC
    You can disable PowerPlay from MSI, but that means always 3D clocks which means higher temps and more electricity wasted. There is no other solution that I know.
    You should RMA it imo.

10. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    no sir i cant do that i would rather have one black screen per boot :(
    which is also bad but better to than running it at 3D mode

11. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Check if your card has the latest BIOS. In the techpowerup website there's one from 02/20/2014, for the reference Gigabyte card.

I'm using it now, and in 4 days my PC is up and stable (didn't turn it off in this period).

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Morning souvikbiswas,

Sorry to hear of this issue you're having.

Is your graphics card overclocked? What are its stock clocks?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  13. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    I was also having this issue, but didn't have it for a while. With 1x sapphire and 1x xfx reference cards.

14. BuuBuu

BuuBuu Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 8 GB ( 4 X 2 )
    i have GIGABYTE R7-260X 2GB GDDR5 OC version and the same issue happens to me when i idle or using youtube

15. angmar

angmar Guest

The only fix I know of is to sell the piece of **** and get a gtx 970 thats what i'm about to do.

16. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    its at stock clocks

17. souvikbiswas

souvikbiswas Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB GDDR5
    as i told my pc dont give problem after black screening on the 1st boot :/

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    add +25mv to voltage with AB or trixx.

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    LOL funny although probs true and best option :crapper:

put up with this issue for seven months now .. sent cards back the other day, today setup an "sales of goods act 1979" with the trading standards and have a ref number just in case the cards that are returned also black screen, forgive me but I have had enough of this bullparc for too long now, none of the drivers have worked/made no difference for me and im sick and tired of waiting/chasing a fix for the issue, if these new cards I recive (when they turn up more waiting) do the same thing, then I want my money back or the R9 290X's exchanged for the equivalent in value (2 x r9 290x's £840) of Nvidia cards. its got beyond a joke .... last time I buy anything high end from AMD :(

because what is the point of having an cutting edge peace of hardware that spends most its time not being able to be use for what its made for ? at this rate, by the time they resolve the issue the cards will be out dated on the high end card side of things (well already are 980 for example) lol .. to me this has been a nightmare from the start, I expect some driver issues but not for seven months lol would of returned them 6 months ago if known they were going to give this much trouble, I am more than happy with the performance from them (when they work) but the reliability is horrendous from my experience in last seven months, sorry for the moaning but I want my £840 worth of moan lol

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  20. angmar

angmar Guest

Yea no doubt man....ever since I switched from my GTX 680 which had no problems at all now I have glitches and problems quite frequently.